Question about charging the i3 in car parks etc...

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lemonypye

My questions are around charging the i3 at public charge points in the UK, and am hoping you seasoned EV'ers can help.

- What is the standard connector on the i3 called (Not the DC charge connector)
- When charging at public charge points do they all have the same connector?
- Do you need to buy an additional cable from BMW to utilise these charge points (I assume the car comes with a regular 3 pin cable in the UK)
- Is there a scheme that you can subscribe to charge points and have a single card, or do you need to subscribe to each individual supplier?

Any advice, greatly received..I don't have a confirmed date on my i3, but it should be here in the next 3 weeks.

Thanks
Chris.

In order:

A type-2 connector.
Most have type-2. A few still have UK 3-pin domestic sockets.
The type-2 to type-2 cable is an (essential) extra - £165
At present you may need more than one card although some amalgamation is happening. What you need depends on where you live/drive. The Ecotricity card is free and well worth getting anyway.

There is a lot of information and discussion of UK charge points on the Leaftalk.co.uk forum which you may find useful. i3 users are welcome despite the title.

Thanks Brian

Looks like the leaftalk site has lots of good information on it too.

Cheers
Chris.

BrianStanier said:
In order:

A type-2 connector.
Most have type-2. A few still have UK 3-pin domestic sockets.
The type-2 to type-2 cable is an (essential) extra - £165
At present you may need more than one card although some amalgamation is happening. What you need depends on where you live/drive. The Ecotricity card is free and well worth getting anyway.

There is a lot of information and discussion of UK charge points on the Leaftalk.co.uk forum which you may find useful. i3 users are welcome despite the title.

I've taken a picture of the connector on the chargers at work....is this the standard connector, and is the BMW cable type 2 to type 2 cable the correct one to go from the i3 to this type of connection?

Thanks
Chris.

No, that looks like an industrial 'Commando' type socket. The only practicable way use these is the supplied EVSE with the domestic 3-pin plug and then an adapter to the Commando (but you need to find out what sort they are). Charging will then only be at 10 Amps.

See:

http://www.cenex.co.uk/programmes/plugged-in-midlands/charging-point-equipment/electric-vehicle-charging-cables

for type-2 pictures.

Back