Question on Pre-Conditioning

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AstroZ

Hi, I had a question on pre-conditioning that I can't find an answer for.

Can pre-conditioning of the cabin be done without the car being plugged in? For example, let's say it is a hot summer day and I'm at work. I have no idea when I'm going to leave, so using the scheduled conditioning isn't a good option. Can I pre-condition the car from my phone when I leave my desk and then it has maybe 5-10 min to get the cabin a little better prior to me getting there?

I have a question!.... when it starts to get cold in the UK... (I know that's not very cold in comparison to some parts of the world)... can i set the cabin temp to warm up before I get in?... if plugged into the wall will it draw the elec from the mains rather than the car's battery? Or if not plugged in any ideas as to how energy hungry preconditioning is?

Is there any advantage to pre-condition if the car is not plugged in? I presume heating up the car uses the same amount of energy regardless pre-condition mode or driving.

Blue20 said:
Is there any advantage to pre-condition if the car is not plugged in? I presume heating up the car uses the same amount of energy regardless pre-condition mode or driving.

I guess the question is... is it more efficient to drive the car with the batteries at their optimum temp.. or just drive off and they will achieve their optimum temp after a X mins?

I don't know about the batteries, but I am more efficient at optimum temp :D and since AFAIK preconditioning only affects cabin temp that's what matters.

WoodlandHills said:
I don't know about the batteries, but I am more efficient at optimum temp :D and since AFAIK preconditioning only affects cabin temp that's what matters.

geez...SoCal has a different problem. you guys need batteries cool down year round.... lol

Back