Range Question

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jag932

I'm new to the i3, so I am asking a question the answer of which may be obvious to everyone else. The range on the 2019 is officially listed as 154 miles, but when my car is fully charged it says 177 miles. My question is this: what then is the car's range? Obviously enough driving experience might give me a better clue, but until we get there, why the disparity between the published range and the range reflected on the display?

The published range is determined by simulating a standard series of urban, suburban, and highway driving scenarios at various standard speeds, acceleration rates, and deceleration rates at a standard temperature used by the U.S. E.P.A. to compare the efficiencies of vehicles sold in the U.S.

The estimated range displayed on the instrument panel is based on the conditions during the past ~18 miles of driving. This estimate can vary considerably (lower at lower temperatures and higher speeds).

If it will ease your mind, electric range is similar to a traditional ICE...what you actually see for mpg or mpge will vary depending on how you drive it and the weather. One thing that affects an EV more than an ICE is the actual temperature. All batteries lose capacity as they get colder, and increase it when it gets warmer, which is one reason why setting a departure time and letting the EVSE warm the vehicle's batteries can help. Second part of it, an ICE has lots of waste heat, so heating the cabin is a byproduct and doesn't affect the range. It does with an EV, it's worse with the REx than a BEV since the BEV has a heat pump that can be used most of the time unless it's REALLY cold out, and it's far more efficient than an electric heating element (the REx does not have a heat pump which goes where the gas tank is in the REx from what I'm told).

Also note that the i3 will give a more accurate estimate of range if you use its navigation system, as it knows the topography of the route, and your selected route criteria.

I find it consistent enough to be able to avoid REXing when within range of a suitable charging station.

Enjoy your i3!

Chris

Back