Releasing Cruise Control

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ASUN

Hello,

When you release cruise control without having your foot on the accelerator, the car goes into this arupt braking. Which is of course normal for this car.

I tried to match my foot pressure with how much "gas" the cruise control is applying before I release it. However, I do worry if I put too much pressure, the car will jump forward after I release the cruise control. Too little pressure the car goes into the braking mode.

Does anyone have similar experiences and remedies?

Thanks.

ASUN said:
Hello,

When you release cruise control without having your foot on the accelerator, the car goes into this arupt braking. Which is of course normal for this car.

I tried to match my foot pressure with how much "gas" the cruise control is applying before I release it. However, I do worry if I put too much pressure, the car will jump forward after I release the cruise control. Too little pressure the car goes into the braking mode.

Does anyone have similar experiences and remedies?

Thanks.
If you press too far on the pedal before releasing the CC, the car will accelerate past the CC set speed. You can always speed up with the pedal without releasing the CC set speed, and when you let off the pedal, the CC will regain control. So, it is very easy to tell when you have the pedal in the right position. However, when I release the CC, I typically want to slow down, so I just press in a bit on the pedal to about where I expect it will coast and then hit the CC release. Very smooth every time, and very easy. It just isn't important to press the pedal in very accurately.

After the November 2015 i-step update, the bite of the regenerative braking feels less abrupt after disengaging cruise control. Thought I was imagining it, but regular passengers noticed, too.

If you don't have the software update, I'd book an appointment at your local dealer. It's worth the time.

The easiest way to tell if you or the cruise control are adjusting the speed is to look at the status of the cruise control icon in the middle of the screen. Where there are the 2 inclined orange lines filled with an orange trapezoid, the car is controlling the speed (and an orange car shape as you know indicates it can see a car ahead of you).

When you put your foot on the accelerator, even just a little, the orange trapezoid disappears. This indicates that you've got some control. If you take your foot back off the accelerator, the cruise control will take full control again. However, if you put your foot on the accelerator to the point where the orange trapezoid disappears, and then dis-engage the cruise control, there should be no application of the regen braking.

With a little practice, I can watch for the disappearance of the trapezoid in my peripheral vision and then push the button to disengage the cruise control.

I hope this helps.

Thanks for the advice.

However, this doesn't apply to me as I do not have adaptive cruise control on my car.

I am sure your advice will help others with this feature.

Back