remote App

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Themass31

I don't seem to have an icon on my remote app to start my climate control is there something I have to do in the car for this to become available on my App.
Craig

I don't know if all versions in all countries are the same, but on mine, on the default screen after logging in, the picture of the car, there's a little icon below the vehicle...drag that to initiate the climate control.

I can set preconditioning from the app but not to just start the climate control - is that what you want?

If so, on the start up screen there is an icon in the bottom left hand corner that looks like a wifi signal icon. Tap that and you get the remote options.

All very obtuse, but its the crazy way they designed the app - should have got Apple to do it!

In the Australian version it seems that the climate control goes on automatically with the battery preconditioning. I played around with it when the car was new, not that I need it in this part of the country. Scheduled battery preconditioning to be completed by 7 am and came down to find the cabin cooled down so much that the inside windows were frosted up. I can't seem to find any way of activating the climate control without simultaneously preconditioning the battery.
JTM

Well on the iPhone app, on the main screen in the bottom left corner is a lozenge shape with "wifi" style wafers - tapping on this brings up the remote control screen, with preconditioning being the top button. Tapping this turns on the climate control (note it is purely an "on" - you'll need to get to the car in order to turn it off). As far as I know this purely activates climate control and not battery preconditioning - though I can't quite recall all the different ways the car handles preconditioning of the battery and/or interior.

At least on mine, when requesting preconditioning of the cabin, it will only run for about 1/2-hour or so, then stops. It does NOT do anything to the batteries to condition them. To do that, you have to set a departure time AND that time must be far enough in the future for it to work AND it must be plugged in. Preconditioning the cabin does NOT require the vehicle to be plugged into an EVSE to work.

MikeS said:
All very obtuse, but its the crazy way they designed the app - should have got Apple to do it!
Apple does no better in many cases.

Having to go to the system settings to limit iTunes from showing all of the music in your library vs. what's on the device is one of the more brainless UI design decisions I've seen.

If an app is fully and clearly documented having a clunky interface is no big deal, but just like the car itself it is up to the user to muddle through, clicking on everything in sight, and find things themselves. Perhaps the app designers used to do games before they got this contract from BMW?

Back