Resale value w/Green HOV Decals

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

i3Livermore

It looks like I should be receiving my green HOV sticker within the next month or so (there were still 10k left as of 2/26/15).

My question is - If this is the last time they release an extension to the number of green stickers, will the value of the car be a little higher after my lease is up? I'm wondering if it would be possible to buy out the car at the end of the lease and then turn around and sell it for more. How much more do cars typically sell for that already have an HOV sticker applied? (I just started a 24 month lease in February)

One always has the option to buy the car at the end of the lease at the previously agreed upon price. Whether that is good for you depends on how well BMW and the leasing company guessed as to its real value and whether they wanted to subsidize the lease. IOW, you won't really know until it happens.

I wouldn't expect the stickers to add anything significant to the resale value. You paid an $8 registration fee to get the decals. If the decals had all bee allocated and were for resale on the open market, would you pay $1K, $2k, or more to get a set to use on your car? Probably not.

mjk said:
I wouldn't expect the stickers to add anything significant to the resale value. You paid an $8 registration fee to get the decals. If the decals had all bee allocated and were for resale on the open market, would you pay $1K, $2k, or more to get a set to use on your car? Probably not.

My thought was that they MIGHT hold more value if the green stickers are no longer available after this year and still allow access to the HOV lane.

Back