REx owner, considering second REx or BEV

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

imolazhp

We've had our i3 REx now for about 3.5 months and LOVE IT! We are ready to give up the our other ICE and get another i3.

I'm trying to weigh the pro's and con's of getting another REx or going BEV. I am fully aware of the technical aspects of both vehicles, this is just pure finances. Here is what I've got so far.

BEV
Local dealer has a 6/19/14 build BEV every option, in white, offering $7500 off on their website, but it doesn't state if thats just the $7500 federal credit or what. Our state just reinstated their EV credit of $2500 but you MUST buy within the state. If that $7500 is before the lease credit, then this vehicle could be purchased/leased for $17,500 off MSRP ($7500 + $7500 + $2500). It would have to be leased for 36 months. No REx makes it cheaper to begin with and I am estimating roughly $200/month payment, 2500 down, then you get $2500 back, net zero down. Total cost to lease: ~$8000 including taxes. I tried dealing with this dealer when I got my REx, I wouldn't be surprised if their website "$7500" off is just the federal rebate, they told me I could have $6000 off of this same exact car back in April when I bought my REx, so if that is the case then this would bump it up to about $9650 with taxes.

Questions: Are the 2014's getting the full $7500 lease rebate like the 2015's? This would make a difference. Does anyone have the latest 2014 residuals and lease rates handy? Again, this vehicle would have to be leased for 36 months.

Further: We spend our weekends at what we refer to as our "weekend house" it's my better half's mom's house, its a party house with a pool and everything you can think of. Driving too and from work from the weekend house (I work weekends) burns 25% SOC each way in our REx. Going with a BEV I would want to have a 220v outdoor plug (well, under a large oversized carport) installed so that the BEV could charge more quickly when there, I can charge at work too if I get a portable 220v EVSE. This would be another expense to keep in mind. The house has a 220v plug upstairs for an old window AC unit that is now gone but from that point over to the car port is quite a distance. The pool equipment is near the car port so perhaps it wouldn't be so bad, or perhaps I could try to just become comfortable with charging L1 there and L2 at work.

REx
I got a great deal out of state on my REx, a second one would be an even better deal as the lease rebate is now up to $7500, it was only $4875 when I leased, a difference of about $110/month on a 2 year lease. The dealer has 3 in our preferred color, white, this vehicle could be leased for 24 months and would not qualify for my state rebate. I am estimating $450 payment with $4500 down, just comparing to our current REx deal, taxes included. Total cost to lease: $15,300 including taxes.

Questions: Does anyone have the latest residuals and rates for the 2015's? It is possible that they have changed since we leased our REx in April. If they are not as "good" then this deal might cost more.

Further: Would it just be easier to have two of the same car as opposed to one BEV and one REX? This wouldn't require any additional charging infrastructure at either home.

Thoughts? Comments? Am I missing anything? 6/19/2014 was a LONG time ago, it probably got to the dealer about a year ago now. Who knows how many test drives its had, should this be of concern?

It really seems like a no-brainer to go BEV, save on the cost of the REx option plus get another $2500 back but the charging infrastructure in Memphis, TN is NON EXISTENT. I drive the REx like its stolen and rarely drop below 50% SOC so it might be difficult to get used to a BEV, on the other hand it might make me drive a bit more conscientious. We could always swap cars on heavy-flow days but it might be worth the extra expense just to both have REx.

Are there any REx and BEV households out there?

FWIW, the way the US federal EV tax credit works, depending on your income, you may not be able to get the full amount, AND, the rebate is for the owner, and the lease company is actually the owner (but they may pass some of that credit on to you). As long as the vehicle has not already been registered, and the credits have not run out (based on the way the law is written, it will be awhile, and may be extended), the first owner is eligible to claim it.

If your trips don't exceed 50% SOC, personally, I'd go with the BEV, it's faster, lighter, and gets slightly better max range, and it costs less to buy. If you do wish to take a longer trip, you might miss your ICE, though. Mine doesn't get used all that much, and I could probably rent one when needed, but it's paid for, works, and it's much more convenient. STopping once per hour on a long trip with the REx gets old (well, I think it would, I have a BEV). My ICE can go over 500-miles on a tank, and I can just stop when I want to, not hourly as required.

jadnashuanh said:
FWIW, the way the US federal EV tax credit works, depending on your income, you may not be able to get the full amount, AND, the rebate is for the owner, and the lease company is actually the owner (but they may pass some of that credit on to you). As long as the vehicle has not already been registered, and the credits have not run out (based on the way the law is written, it will be awhile, and may be extended), the first owner is eligible to claim it.

If your trips don't exceed 50% SOC, personally, I'd go with the BEV, it's faster, lighter, and gets slightly better max range, and it costs less to buy. If you do wish to take a longer trip, you might miss your ICE, though. Mine doesn't get used all that much, and I could probably rent one when needed, but it's paid for, works, and it's much more convenient. STopping once per hour on a long trip with the REx gets old (well, I think it would, I have a BEV). My ICE can go over 500-miles on a tank, and I can just stop when I want to, not hourly as required.

If you lease then the lease company gets the credit, it has nothing to do with your income if you lease. This is why I leased my REx, my income was enough to get the full $7500 but then I would forfeit all of my other deductions, in the end the $4875 was more than I would have gotten back. My net tax rate is quite low, property taxes are very high in TN because we do not have state income tax.

There are so my reasons to go with one or the other, in my initial post it isn't specifically repeated but the total cost for the BEV would be for 3 years, or $2667 per year if the cost is $8000, $3217 per year if the cost is $9650. Compared to the 2 year REx, $7650 per year. Crazy different when you look at that. I'm leaning towards the BEV now. I need to reach out to the dealer and find out what the "$7500 off" refers to.

Unless something changed in August, which is doubtful, the $7500 lease credit only applies to 2015s. 2014s are still stuck at $4875.

On any leftover 2014 you should be shooting for a minimum of $10K off sticker before any tax credits or lease rebates.

i3atl said:
Unless something changed in August, which is doubtful, the $7500 lease credit only applies to 2015s. 2014s are still stuck at $4875.

On any leftover 2014 you should be shooting for a minimum of $10K off sticker before any tax credits or lease rebates.

Thank you for that info, good to know, I'll have to recalculate the BEV. On the other hand if they are offering 7500 off and your suggesting go for 10k, then that kind of equals out the loss of the $2675 rebate, or there about.

Back