Safety Seal - for plugging hole on tires

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FrancisAi3

In case it hasn't been brought up before (if it was, I apologize).

I had a flat due to a screw. Tried the slimy thingy and it didn't do me any good. Had to drive the i3 for 2miles at 35mph to get home.
Already called dealership for a replacement tire since driving for 2 miles might have caused internal damage and the sidewall is marred anyways.

But, to keep my flat tire anxiety at bay, I bought the Safety Seal product. Used it today and tire is not losing any pressure after driving around for a little bit. Had I not driven the i3 on zero psi, I'd dare say I won't have the tire replaced.

FrancisAi3 said:
In case it hasn't been brought up before (if it was, I apologize).

I had a flat due to a screw. Tried the slimy thingy and it didn't do me any good. Had to drive the i3 for 2miles at 35mph to get home.
Already called dealership for a replacement tire since driving for 2 miles might have caused internal damage and the sidewall is marred anyways.

But, to keep my flat tire anxiety at bay, I bought the Safety Seal product. Used it today and tire is not losing any pressure after driving around for a little bit. Had I not driven the i3 on zero psi, I'd dare say I won't have the tire replaced.

Is this the same thing that one would use to repair a motorcycle tyre (reamer with sticky rubber threads to plug the hole?). If so, they are very good.

[/quote]
Is this the same thing that one would use to repair a motorcycle tyre (reamer with sticky rubber threads to plug the hole?). If so, they are very good.[/quote]

Looks like it is the same thing
https://safetyseal.com
I've used these things (another brand) over the years with good results.

theothertom said:
Looks like it is the same thing
https://safetyseal.com
I've used these things (another brand) over the years with good results.

Excellent. Your post has reminded me to get a kit and put it in with the rest of the puncture gear for the i3. This will be invaluable. I always carry one when I'm on the motorcycle.

Does it say that it is TPMS safe? If not, expect a TPMS system fault soon as it plugs up the sensor's inlet diaphragm. You might get lucky...let us know.

jadnashuanh said:
Does it say that it is TPMS safe? If not, expect a TPMS system fault soon as it plugs up the sensor's inlet diaphragm. You might get lucky...let us know.

My car doesn't have the pressure sensors... it was removed as an option for the 2017 model year so not an issue at all.

It seems to be back as an option in our market (Australia) now though. My car (2017 BEV) uses the FTM (ie. the ABS system monitoring differential wheel diameters as a proxy for pressure changes)

It can help if you put your location in your signature line...TPMS are standard equipment in the USA, but I realize, that's not true everywhere.

jadnashuanh said:
I sure hope that sealant they used to soak that nylon yarn to plug the hole doesn't melt inside and muck up the sensor. fingers-crossed

jadnashuanh said:
It can help if you put your location in your signature line...TPMS are standard equipment in the USA, but I realize, that's not true everywhere.

I just don't assume everyone is from the one country, but I understand how some people do...

In our market TPMS was standard equipment from 2014-16, then it wasn't even an available option in 2017, now it's a cost option from 2017-18. Go figure.

My BMW motorcycle has it - very useful on a two wheeler.

FrancisAi3 said:
jadnashuanh said:
I sure hope that sealant they used to soak that nylon yarn to plug the hole doesn't melt inside and muck up the sensor. fingers-crossed

My motorcycle variant is fine with TPMS sensors so this may be no different. I can't imagine the goop that BMW supplies with all i3 vehicles (with or without TPMS sensors) is particularly friendly to them.

Back