Service required already?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justanotherdrunk

Delivered Feb/ 2015

vehicle info/ vehicle status/ vehicle check on the display reveals nothing

just "make an appointment with your nearest BMW service center"

20151101_085251-L.jpg

Usually, if you go to the status page, it will flag at least the area that needs attention. It could be as simple as when your birthday is, or whatever they use for your area, and it needs a government safety inspection.

Hi guys, our 'Car Status' display keeps telling us that the first maintenance is after two years (feb '16), not one. Is this different in the USA ?
Regards, Steven

For EU models, 2 scheduled services are required for the i3 REx. After 2 and after 5 years. I paid £375 in advance for a service package when I purchased the car. It was confirmed that this also includes liquid consumables (REx oil), but no brake pads (obviously).

I don't know on the REx, but on other BMW ICE models, if you haven't hit your mileage limit, they'll change your oil at 12-month intervals in the USA on those. To me, seems reasonable to change it annually at least. The service menu should show why service is requested, though. I have a BEV, so have not run into that. The only annual thing on mine is the state required safety inspection.

Stevei3 said:
Hi guys, our 'Car Status' display keeps telling us that the first maintenance is after two years (feb '16), not one. Is this different in the USA ?
Regards, Steven
The only scheduled service on the BEV is brake fluid flush every two years.

I'm just now needing to do the first flush of the brake fluid on my 14 year old Hayes disk on my Cannondale Lefty! However, the i3 brakes are not a completely sealed system like the Hayes and does attract water from the atmosphere, so it needs more frequent flushing.

FWIW, every modern car should have the brake fluid flushed at 2-year intervals! Nearly all of them use hygroscopic (water absorbing) fluid. Over time, even through the rubber hoses that allow for the wheels to move on their suspension, water will get into the brake fluid. Water+brake fluid=acidic=rot the stuff out from the insides. There are test strips you can buy and test the status of your own, but in general, it's just safer to replace at 2-year intervals.

And, I think you'll find at 2-years, the cabin air filter is also scheduled to be replaced. MOst everything else on the service is just visual and computer checks, no scheduled parts to be replaced.

My REx keeps on telling me that my next service is March 2017, which is precisely 2 years after I got it. If I were to get a "low oil" message -which I doubt with around 5% REx usage- I would probably top it up myself.

In addition, page 177 in the user manual talks about Condition Based Service.

Sensors and advanced algorithms monitor the conditions in which your vehicle is used. Condition Based Service uses this information to calculate the maintenance requirements.

The system thus enables adaptation of the scope of maintenance to the individual usage profile.

There is always some inevitable condensation that occurs in an engine. It's probably worse on one used intermittently. That, plus any combustion blowby products can produce acids. There are components in decent oil to help neutralize them. They have limits. As a result, annual oil changes, regardless of mileage are useful. The condition based logic looks at things the other way...how you use it can use up the additives, and at that point, its ability to lubricate can become at risk. As I see it, two similar, but different aspects of the issue. This is why, at least on my ICE, BMW will change the oil annually under the warranty, even if I've not triggered the condition based service monitor.

got a very nice call from the dealer to come on in for service on your i3 rex ... confirmed its only an oil change

ironically the rex has run only 3 times ...

once in maintenance mode with the trunk open just for fun

and twice by purposely exhausting the batteries to test its driveability on gas

ive never come close to actually needing the rex

maybe on friday during the service appointment ill talk to my salesman and work out a deal to trade it for a bev

a bev giga or tera with the larger info screen and nicer wheels

:cool:

100_5033-L.jpg

justanotherdrunk said:
got a very nice call from the dealer to come on in for service on your i3 rex ... confirmed its only an oil change

ironically the rex has run only 3 times ...

once in maintenance mode with the trunk open just for fun

and twice by purposely exhausting the batteries to test its driveability on gas

ive never come close to actually needing the rex

maybe on friday during the service appointment ill talk to my salesman and work out a deal to trade it for a bev

a bev giga or tera with the larger info screen and nicer wheels

100_5033-L.jpg

You know you're going to take a bath on a trade. Not the good kind either.

The first annual service (oil change) went quick and easy

and the salesman actually discouraged me from trading it for a Giga World BEV

.. trading it because the REx has proven itself worthless for me ..

Imagine a salesman telling me not to buy one of his cars!

:lol:

20151113_090329-L.jpg

Back