So Glad BMW NA marketing doesn't design products...

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boatguy

I want to like them, but they keep doing really silly stuff.

First they sent the personally addressed piece of carbon fiber to the wrong people. Then they sent it out again, to the right people, but it's still just a piece of carbon fiber, which is pretty old news. My 8yr old boat has more carbon fiber in it than the i3. Carbon fiber bicycles have been around for 20yrs. It's not a new material.

Now today they sent me a very fancy 2GB thumb drive, which contains a 1 minute video and a URL. The URL links to a site with the same Arthur Clarke video and some other product promotional videos about the i3. But I've already purchased the i3, they can't sell me anymore than that, I've already made the purchase.

Then they implore me to set up a MyBMW online account, which I already had, where they still don't have the owner's manuals available to download as a PDF. An owner's manual PDF is so basic (and searchable).

The thumb drive is only 2GB so it doesn't even have any long term utility, it just goes straight into the trash. Why do they think sending out a promotional piece that ends up in the trash within minutes is a good way to promote sustainability?

Come on BMW, how about raising the marketing game to the same level as engineering?

Boatguy said:

First they sent the personally addressed piece of carbon fiber to the wrong people. Then they sent it out again, to the right people, but it's still just a piece of carbon fiber, which is pretty old news. My 8yr old boat has more carbon fiber in it than the i3. Carbon fiber bicycles have been around for 20yrs. It's not a new material.

Come on BMW, how about raising the marketing game to the same level as engineering?

To be fair, the i3 is really the first mass-produced "affordable" car made from significant quantities of CF and it results in a car hundreds of pounds lighter than almost anything else on the road. I think it's pretty darn cool and I point it out to everyone I show the car to. How many people have said to me "ya I have that too"? Not one.

I agree with the last part though.

I am with boat guy. I find BMW NA marketing a complete nuisance. I wish they would stop sending me junk in the mail, and BMW would spend money making the i3 a quality product, especially learning how to develop decent software. Now that we have had our i3 (our 11th BMW) 8 months, my we laughs out loud when a BMW i3 commercial comes on TV.. "What a bunch of B.S." she yells out.
The BMW NA concierge service. After six or seven calls with those folks, and a zero level of satisfaction I hope to never hear from them again.

Boatguy said:

[...]

Then they implore me to set up a MyBMW online account, which I already had, where they still don't have the owner's manuals available to download as a PDF. An owner's manual PDF is so basic (and searchable).

I have a link to an i3 PDF owner's manual on my MyBMW account. What I don't have is an i3 yet. My ordered i3 has been sitting in "Production Ends" state for 3 weeks now :-(.

The dealer can access more current data on your car...the webpage is run off of what appears to be a different database, and can be way behind in posting up to date status. Depending on backlog, it could be sitting at the port, or be on its way to your dealers already.

MarkN said:
Boatguy said:

[...]

I have a link to an i3 PDF owner's manual on my MyBMW account. What I don't have is an i3 yet. My ordered i3 has been sitting in "Production Ends" state for 3 weeks now :-(.
I just checked and it's there. It's dated April 16, just 5 days ago and 8 months after I took delivery. But glad to have a real US manual now.

Back