Software update / Mileage improvement

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ive been monitoring my mileage for a couple of week since I got the Nov update and can report a definite improvement in range. This is not simply an improvement in predicted range but in actual range. I have around a 10% improvement. This is specifically for lots of short (1 to 5 mile) journeys when I typically got 70 miles or less. For the past 2 weeks I have achieved 78 plus.

MikeS said:
Ive been monitoring my mileage for a couple of week since I got the Nov update and can report a definite improvement in range. This is not simply an improvement in predicted range but in actual range. I have around a 10% improvement. This is specifically for lots of short (1 to 5 mile) journeys when I typically got 70 miles or less. For the past 2 weeks I have achieved 78 plus.
Must be due to that warm early winter weather that you're having :)

I've noticed no change in range with the November update, but then I haven't kept careful records. Maybe the European update increased the battery pack's usable capacity unlike the North American update. Unfortunately, BMW doesn't provide enough information about these updates for us to know for certain what has changed.

Quote “Must be due to that warm early winter weather that you’re having :)"

Yes, it is better than average for us at the moment - however, my range comparison was for the same temp and journeys so there does definitely seen to be a real improvement. I also consider it unreasonable for BMW to not state what the updates will do. Each time I get an update I ask for the details but am invariably told they don’t know!

MikeS said:
I also consider it unreasonable for BMW to not state what the updates will do. Each time I get an update I ask for the details but am invariably told they don’t know!

I absolutely agree. Release notes are a must and security-relevant fixes can always be summarised under "bug fixes".

Generally, these type of things always show that BMW's strength and background is automobiles, not software.

Back