Sound system

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
While I know some here may be concerned about disturbing other drivers, that is the least of my worries. I here huge engines all the time. There are plenty of other road noises. Not to mention the visual disturbances/distractions. I just happen to like to listen to loud music with deep bass and others may hear/feel it around me. I don't really do it intentionally to disturb others but i'm guessing it happens sometimes. I will say that I have the speed volume ticked two notches so that the volume is lowered just slightly at lower speeds/stops and I lower my music significantly if there are police around. With that being said my i3 is coming in from Pennsylvania to Houston, Tx in just a few days and i'm really excited. Now I don't know if im considered an audiophile but I know how I like my equalizer wave to look like (W with slightly lower left leg and low middle peak). I know I like really crisp clear highs and very deep tight bass with no distortion. My i3 has the HK system but from my experience with the HK in my E60 and E36, the systems are lacking in bass for my taste. I believe this HK system is specifically designed to be lower weight and for some reason I imagine the bass to be lacking even more. The highs are absolutely perfect for me though in the other two systems. So like my other two cars I will be adding a pair of subwoofers to the i3. Now I've seen plenty of success with subwoofer installs but for the most part they have been pretty small installs. Maybe just a single 8" or 10" sub with a small amp, which is actually probably plenty for most and an improvement but I am used to a little more bass. I am looking to put in two 12" subs with a 500W rms rated JL audio D class amp. I asked on bimmerfest and someone informed me that the range would not decrease by much even for this kind of system. However, what I am worried about is the battery. With the other two cars I have not had any experience with lights dimming during heavy bass notes but with this battery on the i3(20AH if im not mistaken) I am worried. I'm also worried about the battery just being drained in general. I became a little less worried after doing a little googling to see that on a regular vehicle or an ev the battery actually doesnt power most the electronics while on. It would be the alternator or hv battery/dc-dc converter. Im not really sure if this is true but it seems like the smart way to do it. I always thought it was the battery powering everything and alternator charging the battery as it goes. If anyone could confirm this or have any idea whether the i3 electrical system would be able to handle this kind of subwoofer install with out problems, I would greatly appreciate it! I guess i'll be the first to test this kind of system out in an i3. Well actually I'm sure someone else has already done it they just have not posted anywhere that I can see? In the long run I am also thinking about gettting some sound dampening for the road noise at higher speeds. I'll also try to experiment with avg range with and without the system as well. Hopefully someone else would be interested in this and I will keep you updated.
( I don't think this post was very informative and it is very long so i'm not sure if it needs to be in its own thread... )

forrby said:
I became a little less worried after doing a little googling to see that on a regular vehicle or an ev the battery actually doesnt power most the electronics while on. It would be the alternator or hv battery/dc-dc converter.
This is true with the i3 which turns on its DC-DC converter whenever the 12 V battery's voltage drops too low or maybe when the 12 V load exceeds a certain limit. This makes the effective capacity of its small 20 Ah 12 V battery equal to that of its large Li-ion battery pack.

However, the DC-DC converter has a maximum power rating that if exceeded would result in the 12 V battery being discharged. You would need to insure that your sound system plus all other normal 12 V loads not exceed that maximum power rating. I don't know what that maximum power rating or the maximum normal 12 V load is. I'm guessing that BMW did not install a DC-DC converter any larger than necessary to power all normal 12 V loads. If so, there would not be a lot of additional capacity for a powerful sound system.

Thank you so much for the info! Well I would hope that they would make the dc-dc converter power rating as high as any other bmw alternator like in my E36 or E60. If that's the case then I believe I should be ok because i'll be installing a similar system to the ones I have in those cars. I suppose it could be lower though, in the sake of saving energy. I'll find out soon enough *Fingers crossed*

I just got my i3 today! Everything is just as I imagined (purchased sight unseen from out of state) and I am pretty happy... except for one thing. I've been looking around to change the equalizer setting but I can't seem to find it. My 528i had HK system with logic7 surround sound (with an equalizer) and it is quite amazing. I was expecting the same on the i3... Anyone know if there is an equalizer setting that I just missed. All I could find was basic treble and bass.

forrby said:
I just got my i3 today! Everything is just as I imagined (purchased sight unseen from out of state) and I am pretty happy... except for one thing. I've been looking around to change the equalizer setting but I can't seem to find it. My 528i had HK system with logic7 surround sound (with an equalizer) and it is quite amazing. I was expecting the same on the i3... Anyone know if there is an equalizer setting that I just missed. All I could find was basic treble and bass.

you found it... that's it

Latest posts

Back