The i3 preconditions when scheduled even if it's not plugged

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It really doesn't really make all that much difference whether you precondition without it being plugged in verses the car doing essentially the same thing while driving except when you get it, it's comfortable. If you're trying to maximize range, only do it while plugged in...if you want it comfortable, do it regardless.

KMP647 said:
I can't belive they got this wrong. On my leaf you set up a charge window and departure times
However if your car was not plugged in , the pre condition would not occur( unless you activated it from the phone app)
So you plan to take your spare car(truck) on a snow day and even if you unplug the i3 it still sits there and wastes power (battery power pre conditions?) makes no sense

My other pet peeve is that preconditioning on/off applies to every day. During the week I leave every day at the same time and and the scheduled preconditioning is convenient. On the weekends my schedule varies, so I would like the car charged, but not preconditioned. I think my situation is hardly unique....

Buskraut said:
My other pet peeve is that preconditioning on/off applies to every day. During the week I leave every day at the same time and and the scheduled preconditioning is convenient. On the weekends my schedule varies, so I would like the car charged, but not preconditioned. I think my situation is hardly unique....
Not true! Hit REPEAT on the preconditioning menu when it asks for the time, and it offers a tick box for each day of interest, or, if none are checked, it defaults to once. This would allow you to set up any combination of days for that one time. Then, you have two other settings for say the weekends, or evening as you are ready to leave work, etc.

My pet peeve is that the app has no instructions...you have to find things by chance, or trial and error.

jadnashuanh said:
Buskraut said:
Not true! Hit REPEAT on the preconditioning menu when it asks for the time, and it offers a tick box for each day of interest, or, if none are checked, it defaults to once. This would allow you to set up any combination of days for that one time. Then, you have two other settings for say the weekends, or evening as you are ready to leave work, etc.

My pet peeve is that the app has no instructions...you have to find things by chance, or trial and error.

I'm still confused if the app will do what I want: I would like to CHARGE every night, but PRECONDITION only on weekday mornings. I have the first schedule slot set so that the car will charge Mon-Fri by 7am, and the second slot set for Sat+Sun by 9am. For the car to be preconditioned, I now need to toggle the preconditioning button, which adds a little fan symbol to BOTH schedule slots. My point is that it seems silly to precondition the car weekend mornings when I may not use it until the afternoon.

Buskraut said:
I'm still confused if the app will do what I want: I would like to CHARGE every night, but PRECONDITION only on weekday mornings. I have the first schedule slot set so that the car will charge Mon-Fri by 7am, and the second slot set for Sat+Sun by 9am. For the car to be preconditioned, I now need to toggle the preconditioning button, which adds a little fan symbol to BOTH schedule slots. My point is that it seems silly to precondition the car weekend mornings when I may not use it until the afternoon.

In the UK, my i3 will charge at the earliest available opportunity, off-peak, providing there is a single planned departure. So, for example, I have a 7 pm departure set and I go off then. I return and plug it in, and will will start charging early Tuesday morning. So I believe all you need do is set your weekday departures to get your weekend charged condition.

PhilH said:
Buskraut said:

In the UK, my i3 will charge at the earliest available opportunity, off-peak, providing there is a single planned departure. So, for example, I have a 7 pm departure set and I go off then. I return and plug it in, and will will start charging early Tuesday morning. So I believe all you need do is set your weekday departures to get your weekend charged condition.

Never thought of that, Phil... good idea. It's Friday so I will get my answer tomorrow!

It still amazes me how much effort people (as in engineers) waste on implementing stuff that could have been done much better with very little effort.
Couldn't they just copy Tesla, or Nissan for that matter. Their scheduling solutions are far more superior to BMW's.

Buskraut said:
PhilH said:
Buskraut said:

Never thought of that, Phil... good idea. It's Friday so I will get my answer tomorrow!

So the result is that indeed my car charged during the next possible low-cost charging time slot on Friday night/Saturday morning, even though the next "charge and precondition" event (that's how its labeled in the app) was not scheduled until Monday morning.

So, I'm happy that I've got the car charging and preconditioning as desired. But, the user interface of the app is a mess!

Back