Tyre swap - winter for summer

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bunter

Hi all

It's time to swap my winter tyres for summer ones, the dealer told me to make sure the valve is at the bottom when I change wheels. Does anyone know why?

Bill

No idea!

BMW uses two different types of tire pressure monitoring depending on the market: an actual sensor in each wheel, or, it relies on the anti-lock brake sensor to distinguish differences in tire rotation rates (a lower pressure will mean it will rotate faster than the others unless they all are low!). The service manager indicated to me that the TMPS sensors on the i3 actually broadcast when they hit top dead center periodically. The only thing I can think of is if all of the sensors were installed at top dead center, they might start broadcasting at their intermittent rate, and kill their batteries if it was left there for awhile. But, they also have a motion sensor in them so that they only start broadcasting when the car is actually moving, so that doesn't hold up.

If you get a good explanation, please pass it on!

Bunter said:
Hi all

It's time to swap my winter tyres for summer ones, the dealer told me to make sure the valve is at the bottom when I change wheels. Does anyone know why?

Bill
I see no reason for that. They will be mismatched after first corner anyway.

I've just changed my tires a week ago and so far everything works ok.

Back