UK Delays

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamie94bc

Just wondering whether anyone else is experiencing delays with their order? Particularly if you had a build week of 52?

Mine was confirmed built on the 27th December so I was given a date by the dealership of the 16th January. That date then slipped to the 28th January and again yesterday to 3rd February - at this rate I may as well hold out for the 14 plate seeing I'm away for a week in February!

Seems strange that the delays are occurring after the car has been built - plus it only takes a day max to ship it from Germany to the UK.

Mine is also a week 52 car. My last contact from my dealer was on Monday of this week when the car's status was showing as being at the port of exit. I have heard stories of cars sitting at the port for a week or two. Car would then be on the ship for less than 24 hours and might have to then sit UK side waiting for transportation to the central UK distribution centre. It typically stays there for a day or so before making the final trip to the dealer where it will undergo a day or two of PDI checks etc before we get handed the keys. I was hoping to get the car next week but am guessing that this is unlikely.

Frustrating that it takes so long after the build is complete to travel a relatively short distance.

I suppose if you bought a Leaf you wouldn't have this issue as they're built in the UK.

Had a response from my dealer, says it's due to "unexpected demand" - which probably means there's a tonne of orders for the UK which are taking longer to process at the dock or they're batching them to save shipping costs?

Lemonypye are you going to wait for a 14 plate?

jamie94bc said:
Had a response from my dealer, says it's due to "unexpected demand" - which probably means there's a tonne of orders for the UK which are taking longer to process at the dock or they're batching them to save shipping costs?

Although I have historically PCP'd a car purchase, I'm not sure of the residuals on the i3, so I'm probably going to lease, and therefore not to bothered about the 14 plate. I'll make my final decision once Ive had a chance to go over the financials with the business manager. How are you purchasing Jamie?

Cheers
Chris.

Lemonypye said:
jamie94bc said:

Although I have historically PCP'd a car purchase, I'm not sure of the residuals on the i3, so I'm probably going to lease, and therefore not to bothered about the 14 plate. I'll make my final decision once Ive had a chance to go over the financials with the business manager. How are you purchasing Jamie?

Cheers
Chris.
Mine's a personal lease. - Do the residuals matter with the PCP scheme? I was under the impression you get a guaranteed future value (so if it's less then it's the finance company's problem) so normally you give it back but you could chose to pay / finance the remaining amount.

That's the way it works with VW anyway - my current car is only 2 years into the 4 year period, but it's worth more than I've paid hence the swap for the i3 :)

Not sure whether I'm bothered about the 14 plate - but it depends how far into February the date gets!

jamie94bc said:
Just wondering whether anyone else is experiencing delays with their order? Particularly if you had a build week of 52?

Mine was confirmed built on the 27th December so I was given a date by the dealership of the 16th January. That date then slipped to the 28th January and again yesterday to 3rd February - at this rate I may as well hold out for the 14 plate seeing I'm away for a week in February!

Seems strange that the delays are occurring after the car has been built - plus it only takes a day max to ship it from Germany to the UK.

Same here. Wk 52 build, delivery put back, was 20th then 24th January to dealer at the start of this week, not heard since.

I received the same letter. Ordered at the end of December, but not expecting delivery until July at he earliest, so the statement 'Your BMWi3 will be on its way very soon' appears a tad misleading to say the least!

Bunter said:
Anyone else with a UK order get a letter today telling them their i3 is coming soon ?

Bill

Hi Bill,

I got mine this morning. I got all excited thinking it may be some good news about delivery, instead it was just "your car is nearly with you"

Hey ho :)

Chris.

Yeah I received that letter this morning too.

Given the thickness of the envelope / paper I thought it might be something more exciting than stats about the car I knew before purchasing!

Also, for a car with such heavy focus on sustainability, you would have thought they'd have sent an email or used recycled paper ;)

Me too.

Artistically produced & packaged letter - completely devoid of information.

Many trees died in vain.

I am personally very grateful for my letter from BMW today. I now know not to expect a V6 diesel engine in my i3. Given my expected delivery of end of May, I take the 'on its way very soon' to be like 'Summer is on its way very soon'.

Oh well back to pouring over the well thumbed brochure and waiting for those owner videos when I can admire the car and curse the owner. It's a bad sign when you go onto Google, and you don't even have to enter a search term, google just says... "oh its you again... no - still no new videos apart from 3 minute CES ad-click reports"..

If anyone is listening, please help us with a decent review of the car making the 'on its way very soon' a little more real.

I'm honestly not trying to wind everyone up, but I'm amazed mine arrived a week ago and no-one else has theirs yet. I'd love to know how mine made it through the blockade so early.

All I can say is, it'll be worth the wait if you can be patient, it's a fantastic little car that's a hoot to drive. Sorry there are delays for everyone though, that's very tedious.

MrM said:
It's a bad sign when you go onto Google, and you don't even have to enter a search term, google just says... "oh its you again... no - still no new videos apart from 3 minute CES ad-click reports"..
Ha! That's pretty much me too, probably watched / read 95% of the videos and reviews... even this one.

Best one by far is the XCAR one if you haven't seen it yet.

AndyW said:
I'm honestly not trying to wind everyone up, but I'm amazed mine arrived a week ago and no-one else has theirs yet. I'd love to know how mine made it through the blockade so early.
Does the car get good reactions from people as you're driving around? - Raced any M3s yet? ;)

AndyW said:

All I can say is, it'll be worth the wait if you can be patient, it's a fantastic little car that's a hoot to drive. Sorry there are delays for everyone though, that's very tedious.

Andy, that's great to hear :mrgreen: I ordered my Rex early Nov - I should have realised the length of the queue before me... hats off to the trailblazers. Just keep us up to speed on living with your i3 - it really helps during the wait. Roll on end of May

MrM said:
AndyW said:

Andy, that's great to hear :mrgreen: I ordered my Rex early Nov - I should have realised the length of the queue before me... hats off to the trailblazers. Just keep us up to speed on living with your i3 - it really helps during the wait. Roll on end of May
Haha - I was asking the dealers before they'd had training on them ;) Did anyone else go to the launch event in London?

Back