UK EVSE grants suspended pending govt review.

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jackt

Incase anybody missed it UK OLEV charge point grants have been suspended see - http://transportevolved.com/2014/05/23/uk-government-temporarily-halts-domestic-charging-station-program-ahead-ministerial-review/

Well this really sucks!

I have waited patiently my 7 months, car comes on Thursday :D , moving house in 5 weeks, lined up electrician to run a 32a supply to the garage the week I move and then this happens!

Hopefully it is just temporary or I can quickly get something booked before less savvy providers realise.

My BG installation went in today. I asked the electrician was this the end of funding. He said he had heard that but he's got two more tomorrow. He said he does the free boiler scheme too and although that was extended to 2017 it has run out of money.

He has contract to install chargers at all Mitsubishi dealers so that's good.

So British Gas, PH Jones division, knocked on the door at 8:20. Had tried to call but couldn't get any cell coverage where he was en route.

He knew I wanted 32 amp. Had reels of fat cable. He also had a cabled version of Chargemaster in new box. I said I wanted a socket version and he dug in his van for one as a customer the previous week had exactly the reverse requirement. He picks up all the gear from a Post Office. Anyway decided on the in garage installation and eventually we found a way to poke the cable via the soffits to the garage. He wouldn't touch the consumer unit. He had previously done that for a customer who had the consumer unit in the garage with spare ways and the customer insisted so he fitted it. Later the customer made a claim on BG that the consumer unit was full and BG should provide a bigger consumer unit! BG not paying him as he didn't do a "standard" install. Not allowed to lift floorboards or anything like that.

He says he turned up at one customer and there were 3 installers there at the same time. The lady had booked all of them because she wanted it done quick and didn't care who did it. Super waste of everyone's time.

He said he had 2 more to do tomorrow. As a subcontractor BG keep him on tight margins. If the earthing isn't up to scratch he is supposed to fit it for £8. That is what BG pay him. He said that he once had an old fuse box fall to pieces when he switched the main switch off. It had never been switched ever.

So he is still installing but I would guess that is units that have already been ordered from Chargemaster and dispatched.

It has a big polar sticker on it as well as BG logo. He said one lady was irate that he didn't have a Polar RFID to give her as this was "supposed to come with it"! Sounds like a BMW client.

Anyway here is before works and after...

BEFORE

AFTER

Just an update to this - my charging point is due for installation in a couple of weeks and the previous govt grant expired on the 31st August 2014. The new grant scheme that replaces it from 1st September 2014 is now capped at £900 not £1000, the reason being that increased competition from a greater number of installers will drive down the prices. Obviously not so in this case, so if you're quoted the old figure of £315 from BMW for the wall box, take a look at the small print and check how much the grant is for.

I got my 16a charge point installed by British Gas under the interim arrangements, I might upgrade to a BMW 30a Wallbox system if the one I have proves inadequate, but thus far they have neglected to bill me as I suspect they may have not had a billing structure in place - we will see!!!. I haven't seen much discussion of the increased likelihood of battery degradation the quicker you recharge, in any case I avoided the extra cost of specifying a DC rapid charge system as I just don't think I will use the network enough to justify that with a Rex.

Has anyone got any recommendations for the best tariffs for recharging an EV, Is see BG do a 20 hour off peak rate, but cunningly have 4-8 pm as peak rate.

Now all I need is the i3, scheduled Feb'15 build for March delivery. Can't wait

BG will definitely bill you, they have been known to take a couple of months to figure it out though.

For anybody who hasn't got there point installed or is still looking, Rolec 16amp and 32amp units are still both free under the new scheme see here: http://www.rolecserv.com/ev-charging/news/view/ROLEC-OFFERS-FREE-16AMP-AND-32AMP-CHARGING-POINTS

Also you aren't likely to do any damage with a L2 charge, unless you regularly are charing from 90% - 100%. There was always a concern that L3 charging would degrade the battery quicker, but the evidence from the Nissan Leafs in the wild suggest that the concern might have been slightly OTT.

jackt said:
BG will definitely bill you, they have been known to take a couple of months to figure it out though.

For anybody who hasn't got there point installed or is still looking, Rolec 16amp and 32amp units are still both free under the new scheme see here: http://www.rolecserv.com/ev-charging/news/view/ROLEC-OFFERS-FREE-16AMP-AND-32AMP-CHARGING-POINTS

Also you aren't likely to do any damage with a L2 charge, unless you regularly are charing from 90% - 100%. There was always a concern that L3 charging would degrade the battery quicker, but the evidence from the Nissan Leafs in the wild suggest that the concern might have been slightly OTT.

Thanks for that info, I might need to encourage the Outlaws to apply for a chargepoint, as they are currently at the end of a 100 mile journey for us and the main reason we went Rex not BEV.

British Gas can take as long as they want to bill me :lol:

jackt said:
For anybody who hasn't got there point installed or is still looking, Rolec 16amp and 32amp units are still both free under the new scheme see here: http://www.rolecserv.com/ev-charging/news/view/ROLEC-OFFERS-FREE-16AMP-AND-32AMP-CHARGING-

Thanks for the info on rolecserv. :D I like the fact that it can easily be swapped out and kW counter can be included. Giving them a ring tomorrow ;)

jackt said:

For anybody who hasn't got there point installed or is still looking, Rolec 16amp and 32amp units are still both free under the new scheme see here: http://www.rolecserv.com/ev-charging/news/view/ROLEC-OFFERS-FREE-16AMP-AND-32AMP-CHARGING-POINTS/quote]

Whats with the ‘free 3 year data package’ mentioned on the rolex site? What do you pay afterwards?

The OLEV grants require that rolec collect and send them charging data (thats why you get it free) after the 3 years its up-to you to pay for a SIM card and the service, or just put a kWh meter in and read it yourself.

As nobody has got to the point where you might have to pay, I have no idea what the cost might be.

As it stands I don't think you can access the data Rolec collects, although I do believe they are working on making it so you can.

Back