UK Order v Delivery Dates

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm still week 48 delivery after ordering 02/05 (that's 05/02 for US readers), although having BMW i Wallbox Pure 32A charger installed by Schneider on Friday.

Oh, and I test drove the i8 last weekend, what an awesome experience.

Whilst I love my M3, I can only say that on the journey home, it felt OLD.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/mark1alpha/15414679536/

Our builds must be just one week apart. My build week is 46 with delivery week 48/49. Now, I'm having last minute thoughts about changing my spec..... HK or Prof nav? I have chosen HK because I don't really use nav very often as I know my area well. Never had satnav on any car I've owned including my current RangeRover Evoque...

Just concerned that I've ordered a pretty high spec car (excluding any sort of driving aid as I like to do my own driving) and it will look awkward with the standard nav in the middle of the suite...... I intend to the keep the car for at least 5 years, change the battery to higher capacity one when it becomes available (I'm betting on BMW making a retrofit easy).

I am told the prof can be retrofitted albeit at double the factory fit cost :eek:
Thoughts guys?

Dee123 said:
Our builds must be just one week apart. My build week is 46 with delivery week 48/49. Now, I'm having last minute thoughts about changing my spec..... HK or Prof nav? I have chosen HK because I don't really use nav very often as I know my area well. Never had satnav on any car I've owned including my current RangeRover Evoque...

Just concerned that I've ordered a pretty high spec car (excluding any sort of driving aid as I like to do my own driving) and it will look awkward with the standard nav in the middle of the suite...... I intend to the keep the car for at least 5 years, change the battery to higher capacity one when it becomes available (I'm betting on BMW making a retrofit easy).

I am told the prof can be retrofitted albeit at double the factory fit cost :eek:
Thoughts guys?

I'd be inclined to go with the prof nav from the factory - providing it does not hold up the delivery too much at this late point of change of spec.

Would be a shame to have the Suite interior with the smaller screen - even if you don't use the nav much the larger screen is better, you'd have to check but I'm not sure if you can use the smaller one in split screen mode, handy for displaying more information.

Ref HK - personal choice - I have ordered it, but only because I like listening to music and it's much better than the standard audio. If you listen to Radio 4, talkSPORT or any other non-music radio, then you may not want it. Has your dealer got more than one i3 demonstrator? If so, see if they have one with and without these options and have a look before your car becomes non-spec amendable.

YES! Get the Pro nav and the HK! HK is great I added at last minute and do not regret. Pro Nav is so much more than a sat nav and the smaller screen is not as Buck Rodgers. If you are keeping for 5 years this is essential I'd say.

Only thing I missed off that I really regret is comfort opening. Get that too if not already on your order.

Thanks for your replies :) I am a music buff hence the HK on my order... I really will not let go of my sunroof though my other half considers that it should be the option to go.... Now to find an extra £920..... Not sure I can afford that :(

My sales agent is away today so I have one day to decide before it's too late...

Dee123 said:
Thanks for your replies :) I am a music buff hence the HK on my order... I really will not let go of my sunroof though my other half considers that it should be the option to go.... Now to find an extra £920..... Not sure I can afford that :(

My sales agent is away today so I have one day to decide before it's too late...

You are having the same dilemma as myself. The Mrs and I went back to the dealer to look at a vehicle in PDI with the smaller Business Nav. Her reaction ( even though she is not in the least bit tech minded) was to go for the Pro Media Pack - so that's that then! :D My only other piece of buyers remorse is if I should add the DC Rabid charge- which I can barely see me using, even when the rollout of fast chargers becomes the norm.

Hmmm Dee, I would say the one to weigh up is the LED lights against Pro Nav. Between those two I reckon Pro Nav would win, even at about £200 more. It's my understanding that the high beams in the "Adaptive LED lights" package are still Halogen anyway. I stand corrected but worth researching...

PluviaPlumbum said:
My only other piece of buyers remorse is if I should add the DC Rabid charge- which I can barely see me using, even when the rollout of fast chargers becomes the norm.

WIthout DC rapid your i3 will set records for fast depreciation. I can't even understand why it's an option, it should be standard.

crossie said:
PluviaPlumbum said:
My only other piece of buyers remorse is if I should add the DC Rabid charge- which I can barely see me using, even when the rollout of fast chargers becomes the norm.

WIthout DC rapid your i3 will set records for fast depreciation. I can't even understand why it's an option, it should be standard.

Agreed it SHOULD be standard. I take your point on depreciation though and there is at least some Anecdotal evidence that Nissan Leafs without Rapid charge are difficult to resell - however, as I tend to keep and depreciate over 10years that is less of a concern to me. That said I think I will add it on to the build spec, you never know it might get me out of trouble one day.
Cheers PP

DC fast charging will be standard for 2015 models. Well, this has been confirmed for US market models, at least. Not sure about other world markets. Confirmation source was Manny Atunes, a BMW sales guy in the US at the forefront of EV sales (I think Tom said at one point that he has sold the most in the US or something approximate to that). He posted the info to the BMW i3 Facebook group after completing some i training (along with confirmation of some software changes).

elptex said:
DC fast charging will be standard for 2015 models. Well, this has been confirmed for US market models, at least. Not sure about other world markets. Confirmation source was Manny Atunes, a BMW sales guy in the US at the forefront of EV sales (I think Tom said at one point that he has sold the most in the US or something approximate to that). He posted the info to the BMW i3 Facebook group after completing some i training (along with confirmation of some software changes).

I did read something along those lines ; I think it goes hand in hand with BMW investing in US charging infrastructure, so by no means certain that they will do the same in the UK, I would hate to shell out for something that becomes standard though.

On DC, if it does become standard, not having it will be a handicap when it comes to sell. I too was skeptical about DC as there was only one near me and I would only use it if it's free or cheaper than goin home to charge or Im taking a long trip and have no choice.

Spoke to the local council and three DC Combo chargers are being added to locations with chademo. It's being done this month! We will probably soon see almost the same number of chademo and Combo chargers in the UK.

Eventually decided to add the pro nav... Some saving to do this month and next as it's not a lease! I'm sure I'll love it when it arrives. Luckily didn't affect my build date :p

Had my new i3 delivered yesterday having ordered it at the end of March. A happy bunny currently studying the manual intensively...

Correction: end of May. Original deliverty date quoted was end December, so we're enjoying the early delivery.

Well I ordered the Rex version beginning February. Initially delivery was scheduled for September. Then in September I got a call saying Mid-November. In October, I got a call saying 1st Week November. Just e-mailed the dealer today and am waiting for a reply, so who knows.

I'm a bit peeved that people that ordered Months after me have taken delivery already.

Dee123 said:
Curious. Is anyone else here getting their car built next week? My build week is 46.

Hmm - my delivery date is week 49, with production week 45, so that must mean mine is being made now :) :) :)

Edit: Have just phoned customer services and it's at status code 5055 - Confirmed by production control :D :D :D

Back