UK Order v Delivery Dates

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gonville said:
I discovered something interesting when I re-read the printout the dealer gave me of the projected build and delivery weeks.

As well as those two dates it had a field that said "allocation month". November for mine.

Now do you suppose each dealer has a fixed allocation each month? Would I get an earlier slot by phoning all the dealers to find one who is under selling their allocation?
No dealer has allocation that differs from the next. All dealers place an order with BMW and get the next car in the queue. The only thing that can affect the estimated date of one car over another is availability of parts for options in certain circumstances or whether BEV or REx.

Regards

evdriver123 said:
Gonville said:
I discovered something interesting when I re-read the printout the dealer gave me of the projected build and delivery weeks.

As well as those two dates it had a field that said "allocation month". November for mine.

Now do you suppose each dealer has a fixed allocation each month? Would I get an earlier slot by phoning all the dealers to find one who is under selling their allocation?
No dealer has allocation that differs from the next. All dealers place an order with BMW and get the next car in the queue. The only thing that can affect the estimated date of one car over another is availability of parts for options in certain circumstances or whether BEV or REx.

Regards

Do you say that as fact or is it just your belief?

MikeS said:
evdriver123 said:
Gonville said:

Regards

Do you say that as fact or is it just your belief?

Hi Mike

It's a fact that this is how it works. My info source is through BMW i training as I work in the industry.

I usually wouldn't comment but these forums have a great deal of speculative information being discussed, unfortunately often due to a lack of communication from BMW/dealers to customers.

Kind regards

I think @evdriver is correct that you get the next free slot.

That I think is only part of the story. What I know is that the "quota month" (apologies was not allocation month) field is set to 'November'. So the dealer does have a quota and the are quotas per month. So if the dealer has too many orders then? The dealer can only prioritise amongst the orders that they have? Or the order falls into another month?

If what @evdriver says is the only order mechanism then it doesn't explain how US orders placed after UK ones are being produced now and the UK ones are out to week 45.

I was searching for an explanation. Just can't wait to get my own i3 that's all!

/quote]

Regards[/quote]

Do you say that as fact or is it just your belief?[/quote]

Hi Mike

It's a fact that this is how it works. My info source is through BMW i training as I work in the industry.

I usually wouldn't comment but these forums have a great deal of speculative information being discussed, unfortunately often due to a lack of communication from BMW/dealers to customers.

Kind regards[/quote]

How do we explain such a wide difference in order to delivery dates if what you say is true? If we all got the next slot than an order in Jan would come before an order in Feb but that does not seem to be the case jaw info in this thread.

RJSATLBA said:
Great news, time from order to delivery has come down to a few weeks.

Just seen a report that James May has collected his i3, the ink can hardly be dry on his order!

:p :p :p That’s a surprise!

MikeS said:
RJSATLBA said:
Great news, time from order to delivery has come down to a few weeks.

Just seen a report that James May has collected his i3, the ink can hardly be dry on his order!

:p :p :p That’s a surprise!

He is saying it took 6 months from order

Having read on the forum that the delivery dates may be a bit sooner .. i emailed bmw to ask why has my delivery date moved from week 31 to week 43 :cry: and asked is it because of a shortage of leather?..

Well i just had a phone call from BMW and the lady said it was always week 43 and the dealer should have not said week 31 or week 34 blah blah blah...Nothing to do with leather just wrong info...So not to happy delivery might me November!!!..

If the car was not so damn good i would cancel for sure....
I know RJSATLBA has ordered a bmw i3 from the same dealer he ordered it a bit earlier lets see if they gave him more acurate info..

Rob

Roger so your dates are the same was it week 34?....I cant work it out?? whats going off ..very frustrating.
Having read on the forums that delivery could be here sooner i started getting my hopes up...

Rob

sasman said:
Roger so your dates are the same was it week 34?....I cant work it out?? whats going off ..very frustrating.
Having read on the forums that delivery could be here sooner i started getting my hopes up...

Rob

Cannot believe they are building 100 a day, from just on here not that many people waiting, must be a production problem or something like wanting to do a batch of right handers unless someone else has some inside info? :cry:

Mine was apparently always week 45 too. I can't work out how we have such long lead times compared to US. I still think it's this monthly quota thing.

Gonville said:
Mine was apparently always week 45 too. I can't work out how we have such long lead times compared to US. I still think it's this monthly quota thing.

I think the US has some long lead times too. My original order (placed Feb 7th, on the list in early October 2013) has still not begun production (i.e., it's at least 8 weeks away from delivery), and I even had a 607xxx production number. Thankfully with cancellations I've been able to switch to something that's to be delivered sooner, but there are long lead times everywhere I think.

I think you'll find that each country has a certain amount of cars allocated to it each month. So, depending on how many that is, verses how many people are ordering them, you could have a long wait. How they determined allotments to each country is totally a marketing decision, and my guess is that the USA got a fairly large allotment BUT, they didn't start to offer them close to 6-months after the car was for sale elsewhere. As to the i8, their entire allocation is sold out, now, that may or may not mean there won't be some for sale for those who haven't already put a deposit on them, and that is worldwide.

Things should get better as they just committed to spending $200M USD to expand the CF production plant in Washington state, USA. And, have ordered equipment to expand production of the i3, but those orders take awhile to arrive.

Not to make you annoyed, but I walked into my dealer here in the US today, and they were able to find an unsold version, equipped pretty much the way I wanted (had the HK stereo upgrade I didn't really want to spend the money on), and they should have it maybe tomorrow or Monday. It will probably take me until Monday to sort out my money, so I may be waiting on that rather than the car. Looking forward to driving one next week!

My delivery has slipped from October to December.

Does spec make a difference to delivery time? I've ordered:

i3 REx
Laurus Grey with Suite
Park Assist
Professional Media
Winter Package
20" 430 alloys
Tints
DC Rapid Charge
LED's
HK hifi
Internet
Enhanced Bluetooth

Just wondering whether celebrity queue-jumpers with big social media profiles are grabbing the allocations of specced up builds.

When did you make your order ..Your spec is nearly the same as mine ,ordered 14 th feb delivery was approx week 34 now it slipped to week 43!!! :cry:

sasman said:
When did you make your order ..Your spec is nearly the same as mine ,ordered 14 th feb delivery was approx week 34 now it slipped to week 43!!! :cry:

Ordered May 1st this year - expected week 40, now showing week 48.

Looks like 8-9 week slip to the right on both cars.

How bizarre!
I thought they were speeding up deliveries not slowing them down, mine is three weeks ahead of schedule. Ordered on Jan 4/5th looking goody to collect on Monday 7th July.....

Back