UK Rapid Chargers

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ross

Has anyone actually used one of these with their i3 yet?

I am planning a journey in my electric only i3 where I would need to use at least one en route so I am interested in peoples experiences.

Check out this thread on Speak EV:

http://speakev.com/threads/so-tonight-i-went-to-check-out-our-new-triplex-rapid-chargers.1472/

Yes, I have seen that but that's with a Leaf. I was interested of direct experience with rapid charging an i3.

I'm planning on ordering a REX soon to replace my company car and will also need rapid chargers for some of my longer journeys.

I noticed on Zap Map http://www.zap-map.com/#y=52.08393/x=-1.04594/z=12 there are a few CCS rapid chargers showing up... not sure if they are really there as I don;t see them on any of the other charger maps.

Anyone else have any more info ?

No rapid chargers I can find yet with CCS, hopefully ABB can sell some soon to Ecotricity this is what we want on all major roads, 15-30 mins full top up.

http://www05.abb.com/global/scot/scot344.nsf/veritydisplay/15271e5cb102f302c1257cb6004aa8d9/$file/4EVC204303-LFEN_Terra53C-CT-CJ-CJG.pdf

Just had some major certificate for Europe.

I got an letter from ChargeNow yesterday saying that they had launched 14 rapid charge units on a corridor between Oxford and Cheltenham through Bedford, Milton Keynes and Oxford, including 3 at BMW dealerships. Reported that they are the first chargers of their type in the country and that they form the initial roll out of over 100 units expected to be on the Charge Now network in the coming year.

The ChargeNow.com website map is not exactly easy to interpret and probably lags behind the letter in getting an update to differentiate these chargers. I'd seen reports on here about the ones in MK (too far from base for me to use) but Oxford is definitely in range for a longer trip somewhere so I'm very pleasantly surprised by the speed of these developments.

Regards

Bill

Yes, I got that letter too. Good news on the 100+ chargers.

I believe the 14 have been live since the end of March. I'm planning a trip from Derby to Surrey and I can do it if I rapid charge in Milton Keynes. Still haven't heard of anyone using their i3 on a rapid charger yet though!

We may be going down through Milton Keynes sometime next month. The list of Chargemaster CCS stations in MK seems absurd. There appear to 4 all located close together on or near Avebury Boulevard. Why so many so close?

Has anyone down south found any (or all) of these?

I'm looking a replacing my work car with an i3 (journeys are around 100 miles each way max).....I'm fine with stopping on every 70 mile for 30 mins to charge - but I going by this thread, are you saying that there is basically no real fast charge infrastructure that the i3 can use yet

I live in Harrogate and work in the midlands up to Newcastle and over to Manchester, looking at buying the Rex model but to use the Rex part as little as possible

jimmies said:
I'm looking a replacing my work car with an i3 (journeys are around 100 miles each way max).....I'm fine with stopping on every 70 mile for 30 mins to charge - but I going by this thread, are you saying that there is basically no real fast charge infrastructure that the i3 can use yet

Hello jimmies,

The rapid chargers known as CSS are being rolled out right now by both Ecotricity and Chargermasters networks.

They should be pretty much everywhere by the end of 2014 in Motorways and A roads. Having said so, if you buy the rex, you will hardly ever need these rapid chargers. I have been driving Rex for 7 weeks now and I never charged anywhere except at home. Used the rex on long drives and it is very quick to refuel and keep going instead of 40mts rapid charging. It never charges in 20mts as they claim.

Rex gives you the peace of mind and the freedom to go anywhere.

regards,
ken

I think the companies statements along the lines of

'CSS are being rolled out right now by both Ecotricity and Chargermasters networks. They should be pretty much everywhere by the end of 2014 in Motorways and A roads” mean about the same as ‘the cheque is in the post”. :p

kentheteaman said:
jimmies said:

Hello jimmies,

The rapid chargers known as CSS are being rolled out right now by both Ecotricity and Chargermasters networks.

They should be pretty much everywhere by the end of 2014 in Motorways and A roads. Having said so, if you buy the rex, you will hardly ever need these rapid chargers. I have been driving Rex for 7 weeks now and I never charged anywhere except at home. Used the rex on long drives and it is very quick to refuel and keep going instead of 40mts rapid charging. It never charges in 20mts as they claim.

regards,
ken

Hi Ken,

Thanks for the reply - I hear what you are saying but for a 200 mile round trip I would be looking at - Initial charge 75miles + 125miles petrol (2 tanks worth about £22)....so total cost of around £24/£25 for the trip. That must be more than some of the good diesels can do it in.

I'm really wanting to ditch the pump for electric as much as possible....I may just be 18 months too soon. Currently running a petrol Jag that averages 30mpg that needs changing and the i3 really would work if the charging situation was up to it

jimmies said:
kentheteaman said:
jimmies said:

Hello jimmies,

regards,
ken

Hi Ken,

Thanks for the reply - I hear what you are saying but for a 200 mile round trip I would be looking at - Initial charge 75miles + 125miles petrol (2 tanks worth about £22)....so total cost of around £24/£25 for the trip. That must be more than some of the good diesels can do it in.

I'm really wanting to ditch the pump for electric as much as possible....I may just be 18 months too soon. Currently running a petrol Jag that averages 30mpg that needs changing and the i3 really would work if the charging situation was up to it

Look at this map if this covers where you want to go then by the end of this year pretty much covers going all electric http://rapidchargenetwork.com/drivers.php :D

Was told today that Power NI will install rapid combo chargers in Derry/Londonderry, Glenshane Pass, Dungannon, Banbridge and Belfast (Boucher Road) by the end of next month.

Sorry I can't name the source of the information for now but I have no reason to doubt it. I guess we'll know soon enough.

Still no exact date for completion of Northern Ireland's CCS rapids upgrade but I emailed the Departmentf or Regional Development and got precise location as follows:
Dungannon

RC01

Donnelly Motor Group Garage, 59 Moy Rd, Dungannon, Co Tyrone BT71 7DT

Maghera

RC02

Glenshane Tourist Services, Jamesie's Garage, 31 Glenshane Rd, Maghera, Co Londonderry BT46 5JZ

Banbridge

RC08

Halfway Road, Banbridge, BT32 4ET 

Londonderry

RC11

Maxol Service Station, Waterside, 29 Glendermott Rd, Londonderry, BT47 6BG

Boucher Rd

RC13

Shane Retail Park, Boucher Road, Belfast, BT12

They should be pretty much everywhere by the end of 2014 in Motorways and A roads. Having said so, if you buy the rex, you will hardly ever need these rapid chargers.
Quite so. I can't see that stopping every 70-80 miles for a quick top-up is anything like as bad as:
(1) having a spare car for long journeys only (needs taxing, servicing, parking, etc.);
(2) hiring a car for long journeys (needs organisation, collection, and return. And costs!);
(3) using BMW's hire system, which is expensive. (ditto)

None of these options are at all green. I don't really follow the purists' objection to the REx for long journeys. As I've explained elsewhere, the battery-only version is, in truth, only modestly green, but much better than the above options. Motorcyclists have limited range, too, and they seem to survive long journeys.

FrancisJeffries said:
They should be pretty much everywhere by the end of 2014 in Motorways and A roads. Having said so, if you buy the rex, you will hardly ever need these rapid chargers.
Quite so. I can't see that stopping every 70-80 miles for a quick top-up is anything like as bad as:
(1) having a spare car for long journeys only (needs taxing, servicing, parking, etc.);
(2) hiring a car for long journeys (needs organisation, collection, and return. And costs!);
(3) using BMW's hire system, which is expensive. (ditto)

None of these options are at all green. I don't really follow the purists' objection to the REx for long journeys. As I've explained elsewhere, the battery-only version is, in truth, only modestly green, but much better than the above options. Motorcyclists have limited range, too, and they seem to survive long journeys.

Couldn't agree more, especially for those of us for whom long journeys (by UK standards) are an exception but when a longer journey is needed the constraints of a REx are far less hassle than hiring or having a spare long distance car. Taking a 200 mile journey in the UK as an example and being realistic about average speeds when roadworks (the upper 80 miles of the M1 has had a total of 30-40 miles of 50mph, narrow lanes and average speed cameras for months) and traffic congestion are taken into account, that's a 4 hour journey. I do that less than once a month and usually aim to have a coffee break half way. So with a REx I should be able to do that comfortably with one charge in such a way that approaching 75% is on battery, and if I top off the tank at the same stop, I could have getting on for 50 miles range left after 200 miles.

To do it I'd set off full x2, engage the REx as soon as allowed and leave it on until the planned charging point is within range, then revert to battery. If I make it a large coffee so it takes longer to cool (!) I should be able to set off with at least 80% battery, a full tank and a red face from buying such a small amount of petrol; I'll be able to live with the embarrassment knowing that I won't have had to buy much at the outrageous petrol prices charged at UK motorway services!

Worst case scenario is that the charge point is u/s and I have to try the next one or two, if all else fails I'd just have to rely on the REx and make a second petrol stop.

Doesn't sound too bad to me at all although I woiuldn't have been so happy with doing it when on business with a deadline for a meeting but in that situation planes and trains aren't infallible either and an ICE goes nowhere fast when the motorway grinds to a halt.

RJSATLBA said:
To do it I'd set off full x2, engage the REx as soon as allowed and leave it on until the planned charging point is within range, then revert to battery. If I make it a large coffee so it takes longer to cool (!) I should be able to set off with at least 80% battery, a full tank and a red face from buying such a small amount of petrol; I'll be able to live with the embarrassment knowing that I won't have had to buy much at the outrageous petrol prices charged at UK motorway services!

Worst case scenario is that the charge point is u/s and I have to try the next one or two, if all else fails I'd just have to rely on the REx and make a second petrol stop.

Doesn't sound too bad to me at all although I woiuldn't have been so happy with doing it when on business with a deadline for a meeting but in that situation planes and trains aren't infallible either and an ICE goes nowhere fast when the motorway grinds to a halt.

I've got the same line of thought as you. Only difference is for those occasional 200 mile journeys, we'll just have an 8 liter petrol container in the back so we can fill up the REx tank with that. We already have to fill up petrol containers for the garden equipment (riding mower, rotovator, and strimmer) so having another one to fill isn't a big deal.

I've got the same line of thought as you. Only difference is for those occasional 200 mile journeys, we'll just have an 8 liter petrol container in the back so we can fill up the REx tank with that. We already have to fill up petrol containers for the garden equipment (riding mower, rotovator, and strimmer) so having another one to fill isn't a big deal.
I have in mind 300-mile journeys to/from the Lake District a few times a year, and decided that several fills on the way aren't an issue. It'll be nice to have to stop to force my wife to change drivers with me, as well. Getting to drive it will be a problem, I fear - she loves it after the test drives and won't want to share it! :lol:
As far as the can in the boot is concerned, I can't recommend it: a friend with a Company car and free fuel used to carry 2 gallons (10 litres) around in the boot and, somehow, it caught fire, he was badly injured and his car was written off. :eek: You wouldn't want it to spill if you crashed, either.

FrancisJeffries said:
As far as the can in the boot is concerned, I can't recommend it: a friend with a Company car and free fuel used to carry 2 gallons (10 litres) around in the boot and, somehow, it caught fire, he was badly injured and his car was written off. :eek: You wouldn't want it to spill if you crashed, either.

That's a nasty thing to happen though quite rare. Growing up in Texas, it is common place to have more than a gallon or 2 of fuel in the back. And that's in the summer heat of 38C/100F. Here in the UK I have no concerns with it. A proper fuel container with no structural compromises is safe. Maybe I'm not embracing the overly-cautious 'health and safety' British culture. Mostly I just go on experience of the risk being so negligible that having a container in the boot once a month for a trip isn't a concern.

Back