Update on KLE replacement problem

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jadnashuanh said:
The real goal (IMHO), is to get everyone up to snuff before the summer months crop up and the heat related issues could make things get ugly. In the interim, they're contacting people as their dealers are getting parts and the wait isn't huge to get things done.
Fortunately you're not running BMW because your "real goal" is not everyone's. With only a 110/15a outlet at my rented condo, faster charging from Level 2 public stations is in my interest right now. The software change was supposed to only lower the charge rate on a temperature adjusted basis, but mine is maxed out at 5.4kW, irrespective of what Level 2 charger I use. By summer I'll be back in my house with a Level 2 charger and not so dependent on public stations.

I took mine in yesterday for the new KLE and reprogramming. I imagine that it will take a few days as they did not have the KLE in hand. Fortunately, they have an i3 loaner for the i3 owners.

Many of the public EVSEs out there are not capable of the full 7.4Kw input the i3 can use. Even the ones my BMW dealership installed are not capable of feeding the i3 at its max rate. I put a volt/amp meter in the electrical box feeding mine (30A), and I regularly see just under that 30A when recharging my BEV. I do have the software patch designed to protect the KLE (have an appointment next week to get mine replaced and reprogrammed), but New England tends to be chilly this time of year, and I generally don't drive all that far, so the internals on the car are not hot, probably then allowing it to use the max without restrictions. Given my volt/amp inputs (245vac*29A), I'm seeing just about 7Kw on a regular basis (about the max my EVSE can provide). On preconditioning, it seems to bounce between 12-20A as something pulses on and off until it is warm, then it seems to drop to about 5-6A.

You'll only see the stated charging times when the EVSE can provide at least 32A, and many of those in the field cannot. Probably because the charging circuits in the Leaf, probably the longest, largest scale user, has had a smaller charging circuit, and it's cheaper to not have to run larger cable and the EVSEs themselves, with the long cord and connector are less when they do not have to be designed for more. I think the latest Leaf has a larger charging circuit, but the original ones did not, at least level 2, and it maxes out at a lower input power.

jelloslug said:
I took mine in yesterday for the new KLE and reprogramming. I imagine that it will take a few days as they did not have the KLE in hand. Fortunately, they have an i3 loaner for the i3 owners.

Did you just show up and drop off the car or did they know you were coming? I ask because the parts for my earlier recall were not ordered until my car arrived at the dealer even though I had made the appointment to replace them 3 weeks in advance. Because of the weekend, I had to wait several extra days for the parts to arrive at the dealer and I was stuck with a crappy ICE 3-series for over a week. I assumed that such stupid inefficient policies were those of my particular dealer and not systemwide, your experience suggests otherwise.

IIRC my Mercedes experience was that the appointment was made for the recall or service bulletin, the parts kit was ordered, and you brought the car in for the work. If the parts were delayed they called to re-schedule. My BMW dealer knew for three weeks that I needed a sensor in the fuel tank replaced, why weren't the parts on hand when I dropped off the car?
Finally, why is the 328 sedan such a pile of shite compared to an i3?

WoodlandHills said:
jelloslug said:

Did you just show up and drop off the car or did they know you were coming? I ask because the parts for my earlier recall were not ordered until my car arrived at the dealer even though I had made the appointment to replace them 3 weeks in advance. Because of the weekend, I had to wait several extra days for the parts to arrive at the dealer and I was stuck with a crappy ICE 3-series for over a week. I assumed that such stupid inefficient policies were those of my particular dealer and not systemwide, your experience suggests otherwise.

IIRC my Mercedes experience was that the appointment was made for the recall or service bulletin, the parts kit was ordered, and you brought the car in for the work. If the parts were delayed they called to re-schedule. My BMW dealer knew for three weeks that I needed a sensor in the fuel tank replaced, why weren't the parts on hand when I dropped off the car?
Finally, why is the 328 sedan such a pile of shite compared to an i3?

I have my i3 scheduled for both the KLE and the pressure sensor for Jan 14th, I plan on calling the dealer to confirm that the parts are in before I take the car in. I live over 40 miles away and am not looking forward to a loaner as I think it will be an ICE. Will let you know what happens. Just doesn't make sense when they have to give you a loner to tell you to bring in the car and then order the parts, down right stupid.

FWIW, when I made my appointment, they specifically mentioned ordering the parts so that they would be in when I dropped the car off. Now, that is still in the future, so I don't know if they will actually be in when that appointment arises.

I think it really depends on how adept the service department is where you're going to have the work done, what your end results will be. There are not enough KLE's floating around so that the dealers can have a few sitting there, unclaimed or unallocated. That time may come, but it is not here yet.

Jim, do you think there was a shortage of fuel pressure sensors too? That would explain things, but would also imply BMW can't keep up with the pace of the recalls. The pressure sensor has been in the system for a while now IIRC one would think they had enough by now.

I have no direct insight, but given that BMW has been staging the KLE installs (they started in Canada before the USA), it could be the parts are dribbling in. Regardless, the dealership must be on top of ordering the things and getting in line if there are any allocations...people that have had a failure and the vehicle is out of service get first priority if there's a shortage.

Jim is completely correct with the priority. As of right now KLE's are widely available and coming next day. I like to take the car apart at night and install the new KLE as soon as it comes in. I have removal of the KLE down to 30 minutes.

Vinnie50 said:
Jim is completely correct with the priority. As of right now KLE's are widely available and coming next day. I like to take the car apart at night and install the new KLE as soon as it comes in. I have removal of the KLE down to 30 minutes.

That's nice for you as a tech but as an owner I want the KLE to be on hand when I drop off the car not ordered for delivery once my car is disassembled. Any other way is just disrespectful of the value of my time with my i3. As a leased vehicle I am paying for the use of MY car by the day and I have less than 1000 of them left. Why should I burn any of those days just because it is more convenient for you? Whose time is more important anyway, the customers or the techs?

I don't think he schedules things either, but he sure benefits from the system as it is now. This is the way my dealer operates too and I have spoken to them about how I feel in far more direct fashion. Be that as it may, I did not mean to make a personal attack, just express my dissatisfaction with the whole concept of not ordering parts for a scheduled service bulletin before the arrival of the car.
Call me crazy, but I think the convenience of the customer should be of a higher priority than that of the service department. If a tech can remove a KLE in 30 minutes, why does the car have to stay overnight? The part should be waiting for the car to arrive in the morning for the scheduled appointment and then R&R'd ASAP so the appropriate software can be loaded. If the removal is 30 minutes, can the replacement be much longer? So why does the car have to spend the night?

I agree with Woodland Hills if it can be done while the customer waits. At least for me it would save me 100 miles of driving home and returning the next day. However I expect the software update and then making sure the new KLE works properly takes a lot longer.

:) I hate the need to return my i3 to the dealer for the KLE update and software reprogramming. Not a big fan of any dealer service or maintenance hassles. But, I'm in no hurry. I'd prefer to wait awhile for my dealer techs to prefect their technique and for the KLE inventory to increase. My home Leviton 40a EVSE will charge at the max rate, but I doubt if I'll ever realize any difference.

The physical replacement can be done quickly. The programming can take up to 3 and a half hours. And that doesn't include if something goes wrong. Plus afterwards I like the car to go to sleep and then charge it fully to make sure the repair was successful. My dealer has been very good with scheduling as they have the customer drop off the night before so we can disassemble and then in the morning complete the rest of the work. It can be done in a day but there is no garentee you are going to get the car back with a full charge. Or even worse something might have went wrong in programming that doesn't show itself until the car enters its sleep phase. And then you would have a car with a problem and be more upset now that you have to return to the dealer for a repeat repair. It can be done while you wait but you will be waiting all day. Some people prefer that and that's fine.

That's what i figured, it is the programming that eats up the time and making sure all is ok with the charging. I personally would much rather they keep the car overnight and be sure everything is working correctly, plus I need the full charge when I leave the dealer if I want to drive EV all the way home. My dealer told me it was an all day job when I said I could wait for the car, go shopping and come back. He insisted it was better to come back the next day and I agreed. Plus they say they will be able to do both the KLE and gas tank pressure sensor as well at the same time which makes me happy.

Patience to leave your car is hard to maintain when you love a car like the i3 as so many of us do. It is hard to explain why having to drive a ICE loaner is such a bummer even if it is a BMW ** whatever.

That's great info about the charging, but why aren't the parts on hand when the car arrives for scheduled service? Nobody has explained the reason for ordering parts for a known service bulletin only after the car shows up........ After all making an appointment is an indication that one intends to show up for that appointment, why can't the dealer show some respect and have the parts waiting? Do they think we are all unreliable children who cannot be counted to keep an appointment?
I have yet to hear any sort of explanation for this from anyone.......

Back