US i3 Rex dangerous when climbing hills

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When software updates are available from BMW, they are downloadable to be transferred to a USB stick and plugged into the car. Can someone with the programming equipment provide such updates for some of the things talked about in these forums, such as making all the gas available or allowing European-style operation modes (as in "turn on the Rex when you want")? Apparently the AM radio mode can also be enabled (Here I'm thinking baseball broadcasts).

Perhaps BMW itself could offer these updates and let us get them when we disavow all knowledge or take the liability upon ourselves.

Ron Chestnut ;)

You are not asking for software updates, you are asking for changes that are in violation of CARB regulations. BMW will not break the law to give you those "updates", you have to go to the aftermarket. Personally, I don't really want to learn to code, so I went with the dvdinmotion route.....

YondanRon said:
When software updates are available from BMW, they are downloadable to be transferred to a USB stick and plugged into the car. Can someone with the programming equipment provide such updates for some of the things talked about in these forums, such as making all the gas available or allowing European-style operation modes (as in "turn on the Rex when you want")? Apparently the AM radio mode can also be enabled (Here I'm thinking baseball broadcasts).

Perhaps BMW itself could offer these updates and let us get them when we disavow all knowledge or take the liability upon ourselves.

Ron Chestnut ;)

Actually it is not that simple. Updates from BMW are downloaded directly to "your car" and are not structured for memory stick updates of the do it yourself type. Your software updates are vin number specific when you take your car in for a software update. Updates usually take several hours to install as well.

All the things you are talking about are user update-able if you are willing to tackle coding and some are update-able by memory stick software you can buy from a third party, but to my knowledge that company only currently offers a Rex turn on function, gas tank capacity increase and elimination of the warning screen. (DVDinmotion)

If you are willing to code your own car the possibilities are almost endless. All you need is a computer, software and a BMW cable, all available online.

Seen in other locations that the guy from CodeMyCar is willing and able to code virtually anything on the i3, regardless of nav system, etc. Seen some good references to him. Same price as DVDInMotion, but you can get more done. Seems like a good option for those who don't want to master coding themselves.

Latest posts

Back