USA charging times

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TomMoloughney said:
I hope that helps. Please fell free to ask me anything else and I'll help out if I can.

Yes Tom, it is very helpful, Thanks!

I have another question for you.......

My i3 is in the shop for the Drivetrain Malfunction issue that I got on my car on Monday.
They called me today to say that there is a fault in the EME Module (Electrical Machine Electronics).
They ordered a new one that should arrive next week.
They didn't know what it was or how it functioned but they said they would find out for me.

To me it sounds like it is the main brains of the electrical functionality........ just guessing thou.
Do you know what it is and if it does correct the Drivetrain Malfunction?

Thanks,
FrannieM3i3

I have the REx i3 and I have never had to wait more than 4 hours, even when I drove 91 miles without the gas generator coming on.
I have a 9.6kW charger made by Leviton that I installed. It is rated at 40 amps and has 50 wire going into my main panel and uses a 50 amp breaker as per directions that came with the unit. I am not sure what the i3 is pulling from my charger but I got the powerful charger for potential future upgrades. It's the same charger that was the official one for the RAV4EV. Most of the time I am just topping off the battery after short runs. Over 1700 miles already.

Keep in mind that a level 2 EVSE only means that it is a 240vac unit rather than 120vac. To ensure that an i3 can be recharged at it's maximum rate, the EVSE must be capable of providing 30A (32A in Europe which rates them slightly differently). There are lots of level 2 EVSE units out there, and some of them are not capable of providing that current level. And, some of those have internal adjustments to limit their maximum output, so that even a unit capable of providing 30A (or more), may be adjusted inside it to only announce it has a lower amount available. You might consider doing this if you cannot support the maximum load from your power panel. So, you could have a level 2 EVSE that could be adjusted to only provide a very small amount of current, maybe even less than a level 1 unit.

Then, the temperature and how deep the discharge is in the battery pack will affect how much the i3's logic ultimately asks for.

Back