Water at Charge Point Socket

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vne

Whenever it rains there is water around the charge point socket behind the charge point flap. Is this normal?
Looking at the charge point flap seal, I thought it should prevent that water comes in?

NOt normally a problem. Consider that when charging, should it rain, there is no cover at all. The EVSE has a built-in GFCI, and if the rain water is really nasty, polluted stuff, theoretically it might trip or fail to charge, but I've not experienced that issue.

My i3 is trickle-charged overnight outdoors from a heavy-gauge extension cord and so is fully exposed to the elements. Last night it was raining hard and when I plugged in the surround flashed an angry red at me, so I pulled the BMW plug, dried it a bit and then it worked fine. (At some point I got a warning text on my iPhone, but it vanished and I can't find it anymore.)
One thing BMW might want to re-design is the little plastic cap covering the lower half of the Combo charging receptacle, which has an indentation for easy gripping but which then doubles as a water trough — right next to the AC plug!

jadnashuanh said:
The EVSE has a built-in GFCI, and if the rain water is really nasty, polluted stuff, theoretically it might trip or fail to charge, but I've not experienced that issue.

I had that happen the first night we had the car (Monday night), when it was pouring rain. I didn't hear the app "Charging Failure" alert, so I woke up to a very low SOC. Went outside, unplugged and re-plugged the J1772 connector. Went back inside and got the same alert. Went back outside, this time I blew in the male and female sides of the J1772 connection, in an attempt to remove any water. It worked just fine for the rest of the time (and the next rainy night as well).

i3an said:
One thing BMW might want to re-design is the little plastic cap covering the lower half of the Combo charging receptacle, which has an indentation for easy gripping but which then doubles as a water trough — right next to the AC plug!

Agreed! I noticed that too..

Really all they need is some sort of plastic triangular-shaped "hood", that rotates up off of the cover to redirect most of the water. Perhaps superfluous for most, but even one un-noticed overnight "Charging Failed" incident can ruin an entire day!

Back