What is better for range: freeway or city driving

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snoopycr

Just got my bev in today. My commute is fairly flat in southern fla.

If I want better range, should I drive on freeway or stop and go city traffic in my daily trip?

I'm still getting used to the regenerative braking which is kinda cool.

Thanks

Its definitely tuned for city driving, but I think it pretty much averages out on the whole.

I am getting 3.8-4.0m/kWh regardless of motorway (or freeway if you prefer :p) or city driving. I should add that figure isn't really impressive as I drive slightly more enthusiastically than is strictly necessary.

The EPA pegged energy usage as 30, 27, and 25 kWh per 100 miles for the BEV. That is Hwy, Combined, and City respectively. So you will absolutely go farther driving at slower speeds because you will use less energy per mile. It will just take you longer to get there.

Drag goes up at the square of the speed...double the average speed, drag went up 4x. Going faster takes more energy. But, depending on how you handle the stop and go of city routes, they can be bad if you end up using the brakes rather than regen. A slower street without stop and go would be the best for range.

Quite easy to get 5.5 - 6 m/kWh in 30mph urban with little traffic. Overall we have 4.6 m/kWh with mainly country roads and urban driving.

Does anyone know if using the ACC increase range bc the computer does all the stop and go, or lessens it bc of all the electrical activity etc.

If anyone is on the fence about this option. Get adaptive cruise control, is great for stop and go traffic

snoopycr said:
Does anyone know if using the ACC increase range bc the computer does all the stop and go, or lessens it bc of all the electrical activity etc.

If anyone is on the fence about this option. Get adaptive cruise control, is great for stop and go traffic

I think the acc is not as efficient in stop start traffic as it copies the car in front rather than coast which is my style in slow so start traffic. Coasting is free. With acc the style of driving is a per the mr/Mrs in front, with a little moderation on the acceleration.

What happens with the ACC only copies the car in front if it is going slower than your set speed, otherwise, it does a great job of coasting as the road goes up and down.

My wife and I share the car with a mix of highway and street driving for an average of 4.5 m/kwh. We find that on the street at lower speeds we get better range. But, that is only if we have long stretch going at the slower speed. In regular traffic on the street with a lot of stops you loose a lot of energy getting back up to speed. So if you have a lot of stops by taking the street we have found that we get better range by keeping a continuous speed on the freeway.

jadnashuanh said:
What happens with the ACC only copies the car in front if it is going slower than your set speed, otherwise, it does a great job of coasting as the road goes up and down.

Yes. This is true.

I have a 62mi round trip. 47 are freeway mi. Haven't tried it yet as I just got the car on Sept 2. Still trying to understand all it's quirks before I make the trip.

Ideally I would like to do it all on comfort mode with ac on 1 bar. Is 60mph the ideal speed without killing the battery? I can take the slow lane. Doesn't bother me.

Then windows down and Ecco mode during the city portion 15mi of my trip. Think I can make it?

You can probably make it the entire way in comfort mode as long as you don't try to get there really fast. If you precondition the car before you leave, and then run in eco pro mode (reduced a/c, but if you preconditioned, may not be an issue), that would give you even more margin. EPA says 82 -miles, 60-something should be within its range.

snoopycr said:
I have a 62mi round trip. 47 are freeway mi. Haven't tried it yet as I just got the car on Sept 2. Still trying to understand all it's quirks before I make the trip.

Ideally I would like to do it all on comfort mode with ac on 1 bar. Is 60mph the ideal speed without killing the battery? I can take the slow lane. Doesn't bother me.

Then windows down and Ecco mode during the city portion 15mi of my trip. Think I can make it?

Hi... i have a 56 mile round trip. .. made up of 40 miles motorway and 16 miles city. Always get home with about 30 miles range left without being particularly careful. Always run in ecopro though it's more of a comfortable ride. On the motorway I cruise at about 60-65mph. Soooooo the answer is yes. . You'll make it no problem.

Why not just try it driving as you wish and keeping an eye on the remaining range. If it starts to look tight switch to EcoPro in good time and if it remains tight go to EP+. If you have had to do either but have a decent margin when you get home do the same next time but delay a little longer before switching out of Comfort. That way it just becomes part of getting to know the car.

RJSATLBA said:
Why not just try it driving as you wish and keeping an eye on the remaining range. If it starts to look tight switch to EcoPro in good time and if it remains tight go to EP+. If you have had to do either but have a decent margin when you get home do the same next time but delay a little longer before switching out of Comfort. That way it just becomes part of getting to know the car.

Good advice.
After 4000 miles i3 and I know each other quite well. Range anxiety is a thing of the past. If range is getting tight you can adjust your driving style, speed and i3 mode to make it.

Go for it. Deep breath and go play and get to know your i3. It's an awesome lil machine.

Isn't the question irrelevant? IE if you want to go into town - you won't be on the interstate, but if you need to pop to mum and pops in the mountains you'll be using the freeway?

OR do you have a regular commute where you can use surface streets or freeway and wonder whats best. In that case I'd go with the freeway but stick to 45 ;-) Steady speed will use less power than stoping start - the regen although good - means you still lose power re-acceleerating. Also choose the flattest route. Again I'd assume the free way doesn't have twisty hilly sections like that famous road in SF.

As other's have said its slow and steady that increases range. I think one other thing.. if you are on surface streets and sitting stationary a lot with a/c, lights and stereo on it will all add up. Not a lot, but maybe a mile or so out of a a full charge. Best to get there quicker.

Personally if you are doing a short trip well within the battery range, I would just use full throttle as often as possible :) Consider the cost is negligible / free.

nowtta60 said:
Also choose the flattest route. Again I'd assume the free way doesn't have twisty hilly sections like that famous road in SF.
If I remember correctly, that famous twisty road in SF would be some of the highest mile/kWh your i3 is likely to see. It would be regen all the way down the one-way down-only street! Now, if only there was no need to drive up to get to the entrance of that street...

Using Pro Navigation to plan your route, no matter how rote it has been, has opened up new corner-cutting and ELEVATION-avoidance routes for me--within sight of my home! I was amazed at its calculations that clearly include increased grades that I never considered before. In sum, it was worth the added expenditure.

Back