3pete

Re: Things I Dislike About My i3

Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:38 pm

jfran2 wrote:
You should never use windex are car windows. They have coatings on them that the windex will destroy.
I've never heard that. Do you have some documentation?
It depends who you believe.
- Says it causes streaks and will damage tinted windows:
http://lpautoglassorlando.com/blog/auto ... ld-repair/

+ Says it is safe for all factory windows but may damage aftermarket tinting. Also, points out that laminated glass is glass on the exterior surface.
https://www.liveabout.com/is-windex-bad ... ld-3975507

- Says it streaks, fogs, and is bad for tint
https://glassdoctor.com/blog/fact-or-fi ... auto-glass

- Windex says their ammonia free cleaner is safe for all types of car windows.
https://www.windex.com/en-us/inspiratio ... windex/faq

Getting back to the topic of the thread:
-I'll echo the buffetting on highway with windows open as my biggest gripe (that's a good sign this is my biggest complaint). Rear windows that vent or if they could do a roll-down tailgate like the 4-runner that would be fantastic in my mind.
-No spare tire. I know this is fairly common now but that doesn't mean I'm ok with the trend.
-High beam lights on earlier models are laughably bad
-No heated steering wheel.
-Connected Drive's unreliability
-Lack of car's ability to show present charge rate (currently annoying mostly because it could even be added with a software update)
-Charge cable lock behavior; should mimic Tesla or LEAF's behavior

vreihen wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 4:13 am
Another pet peeve is that I have not figured out what turns the outside heated mirrors on yet.
Apparently the i3 turns the outside heated mirrors on... when it feels like it. :lol:
viewtopic.php?t=3400

Obioban

Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:21 am

gt1 wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:54 pm
Obioban wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:22 pm

Car windows all have film on them, so they don't shatter in crashes-- tinted or not.

I think dealers and car detailers use car glass cleaning products :P
AFAIK windshields and some windows have internal film between the layers of glass, you can't damage it with Windex. Other windows are tempered glass and will shatter into cubes on impact.
Only very high end cars have double pane glass. The i3 does not. There's not layers to put it between.

vreihen

Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:23 am

3pete wrote:
vreihen wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 4:13 am
Another pet peeve is that I have not figured out what turns the outside heated mirrors on yet.
Apparently the i3 turns the outside heated mirrors on... when it feels like it. :lol:
viewtopic.php?t=3400
Comfort mode, d'oh!!! :oops:

Looks like I'll need to change my driving habits and enable full power and the touchy go-pedal to keep the mirrors clear in low-traction winter conditions..... :roll:
2015 BMW i3 BEV, Giga World, Tech and Driving Assistant packages, 15K miles

alohart

Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:36 pm

Obioban wrote:
Only very high end cars have double pane glass. The i3 does not. There's not layers to put it between.
U.S. regulations require safety glass in all vehicle windshields including that of the i3. Safety glass is 2 glass panes bonded together with a sticky plastic film between the panes. This film holds broken glass shards together which reduces the likelihood of glass cut injuries when the windshield breaks. A broken windshield looks very different from any other broken vehicle window which is typically tempered glass that shatters into many small but not particularly sharp pieces that don't stick together.

Double-pane glass isn't the same as safety glass. Double-pane glass is generally considered to be 2 panes of glass separated by an insulating air gap. As you write, heavier and thicker double-pane glass is typically a feature of more expensive vehicles.
Aloha,
Art

2014 BMW i3 Arravani Grey, Giga World, Tech + Driving Assist, Parking Assist, DC Fast Charging, JuiceBox EVSE

alohart

Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:41 pm

vreihen wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:23 am
Comfort mode, d'oh!!! :oops:

Looks like I'll need to change my driving habits and enable full power and the touchy go-pedal to keep the mirrors clear in low-traction winter conditions..... :roll:
Maybe try decoupling climate control from Eco Pro mode using a checkbox in iDrive. I know that doing so enables full climate control power (i.e., the same power as in Comfort mode) while in Eco Pro mode. Maybe automatic side mirror heating would work in Eco Pro mode when climate control is decoupled.
Aloha,
Art

2014 BMW i3 Arravani Grey, Giga World, Tech + Driving Assist, Parking Assist, DC Fast Charging, JuiceBox EVSE

electronchaser

Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:12 pm

I can add a few things.
There is absolutely zero data available to the driver. I mean you've got a huge display. They could have dedicated one page to analytics. And I dont mean their stupid star grading system which is rubbish.

Proper data. How much power did you collect on your last plug up. How much power have you used through the day, over the week. Sometimes I feel like BMW made the data and interface for a 2nd grader.

There's all that screen real estate and I have to click through stuff to get my SOC, rounded to the nearest half %.
Then there's the font size, lack of ability to adjust it. and that split screen idiocy.
What's the point of putting the map on the right side when you cant see enough of it to use it. And the interface is laggy. Compared to my other BMWs with the idrive v6 units.
Also the cruise control, It can def use more refinement. Its a bit too torquey in comfort mode, and takes too long to catch lead car in eco mode. actually left disappointed with the ACC. The one on my 330e works much better. in electric only mode as well....

my biggest dislike is what BMW did. Now having owned and driving one on the daily, I can totally see where BMW made the perfect car, and then wrecked aspects of it to not eat away at sales of their ICE models.
Otherwise, this thing is bulleyes.
Plus after so many years of development and testing, what's keeping them from giving the wheelbase a 7inch stretch, and making a 2series sized carbon fiber/alum full electric.
Am I trashing it?, absolutely, but with love, like every other BMW I've owned.
Rondel stands for something, and I fully utilize all the non neutered abilities its got.
Takeaway. This is an amazing piece of engineering. And I'm not impressed with 'stuff'

gt1

Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:15 am

Obioban wrote:
gt1 wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:54 pm
Obioban wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:22 pm

Car windows all have film on them, so they don't shatter in crashes-- tinted or not.

I think dealers and car detailers use car glass cleaning products :P
AFAIK windshields and some windows have internal film between the layers of glass, you can't damage it with Windex. Other windows are tempered glass and will shatter into cubes on impact.
Laminated, not double pane. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laminated_glass

joni3s

Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:47 am

3pete wrote:
-No heated steering wheel.
-Lack of car's ability to show present charge rate (currently annoying mostly because it could even be added with a software update)
-Charge cable lock behavior; should mimic Tesla or LEAF's behavior
* definitely notice lack of heated steering wheel
* would love the current charge rate to be visible, i'm glad some some apps will show it

* i'd love the car/app to ping the user with an 80% charge alert.

* i feel like I've noticed when charging the screen shows when it'll be fully charged OR a time of next preconditioning/acclimatization, tbh i don't know whats's going on there and haven't paid enough attention to recognize whats up. Anyone know?

* whats the charge cable lock behavior? latest idrive allows for unlock at 100% or keep locked regardless.
2018 I3s rex

Fisher99

Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:05 pm

The current monsoon downpour has brought to mind one more nit-picky dislike: The curved shape of the DC fast charge port plug cover creates a little puddle of water directly beneath the main charge port. Doesn't seem like a big deal, but always seems to splash a bit of water on my when I disconnect the 240v charging cord.

Actually, has anybody come up with a decent way to cover the charge plug when charging? A few weeks ago we had rain when I plugged in at night and by morning it was below freezing so I had ice built up around the charging port and cord. Had to get my heat gun out to unfreeze things so that I could unplug the cord. Thinking I might try a zip lock bag with a hole in the bottom. Slide the cord through the hole and then tighten the zip lock as much as possible around where the cord plugs into the car.
2014 BMW i3 with Range Extender Engine, Capparis White/Frozen Black, 20" wheels,, Giga World, Tech + Driving Assist, Parking Assist, DC Fast Charging, TurboCord EVSE

vreihen

Wed Jan 29, 2020 6:30 pm

Fisher99 wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:05 pm
Actually, has anybody come up with a decent way to cover the charge plug when charging?
http://bmwi3.blogspot.com/2016/02/bmw-i ... cover.html

I bought the faucet cover, but haven't cut it up yet.....
2015 BMW i3 BEV, Giga World, Tech and Driving Assistant packages, 15K miles

Return to “General / Main i3 Owners Forum”