lovemyi3

Paint issues black parts

Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:33 am

Hi all,

We're very (very!) happy with our i3 (driving around the Netherlands). Only thing I've noticed is how delicate the black paint (mostly on the hood and the back) is. The hood already has quite some severe spots by damages from outside influences (chipping / corroding) , even though we clean it in an appropriate manner on an almost daily basis.
Anyone else recognize this issue?
I passed by the BMW dealer and for them it wasn't a commonly known issue. And it's also not part of the warranty. (Even though I would gladly debate that even with the worst kind of use, this type of outside influence damage is not to be expected after only 2 months.)
Anyone else seems to notice these special issues with the black parts?
Thank for letting me know.

joni3s

Re: Paint issues black parts

Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:39 am

lovemyi3 wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:33 am
Hi all,

We're very (very!) happy with our i3 (driving around the Netherlands). Only thing I've noticed is how delicate the black paint (mostly on the hood and the back) is. The hood already has quite some severe spots by damages from outside influences (chipping / corroding) , even though we clean it in an appropriate manner on an almost daily basis.
Anyone else recognize this issue?
I passed by the BMW dealer and for them it wasn't a commonly known issue. And it's also not part of the warranty. (Even though I would gladly debate that even with the worst kind of use, this type of outside influence damage is not to be expected after only 2 months.)
Anyone else seems to notice these special issues with the black parts?
Thank for letting me know.
i have some small rock nick issues, but nothing that probably can't be touched up with a pen kit. BTW what is corroding?
2018 I3s rex

Fisher99

Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:56 am

The black hood and hatch on my 2013 still look good, although I do notice fading on the black roof.
2014 BMW i3 with Range Extender Engine, Capparis White/Frozen Black, 20" wheels,, Giga World, Tech + Driving Assist, Parking Assist, DC Fast Charging, TurboCord EVSE

alohart

Tue Apr 07, 2020 12:12 pm

Fisher99 wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:56 am
The black hood and hatch on my 2013 still look good, although I do notice fading on the black roof.
The roof isn't painted, so it's not like other black i3 body parts. It's CFRP with a clear resin coating that doesn't seem to age very well when frequently exposed to strong sunlight.
Aloha,
Art

2014 BMW i3 Arravani Grey, Giga World, Tech + Driving Assist, Parking Assist, DC Fast Charging, JuiceBox EVSE

Fisher99

Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:18 pm

Interesting note about the roof. Thanks!
2014 BMW i3 with Range Extender Engine, Capparis White/Frozen Black, 20" wheels,, Giga World, Tech + Driving Assist, Parking Assist, DC Fast Charging, TurboCord EVSE

trumpetdoug

Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:33 am

Could it be since the hood (bonnet) is plastic, the paint is different? Perhaps a softer version of "regular" paint. I have no idea really, just a thought.

Doug - out

lovemyi3

Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:57 am

Thanks all! And with corroding I meant to write corrosion :) (I think mostly from bird poop).

MKH
Gold Member

Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:28 am

After every wash, I treat the roof and bonnet/hood with a UV blocking car detailing spray. So far no fading, no roof bubbling from sun damage to the roof clearcoat, no bird-poop corrosion on roof or bonnet/hood) .
Mark H.
2015 i3 Rex, Capparis White, Tera World, Technology & Driving Assistant, Parking Assistant, Harman Kardon Audio System, 19 inch 427 wheels, EVoInnovate EVSE

jadnashuanh

Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:11 am

BMW, and probably every other manufacturer, uses an additive in their paint when used on flexible materials like plastic parts or flexible things like bumper covers. This allows it to flex a bit more than needed on rigid metal parts without breaking its bond to the underlying materials.

My i3 is over 5-years old now and I've not noticed anything unusual WRT the paint. It rarely gets parked inside, so it sees the full effects of weather from direct sun, snow, and rain.

A good sealant or wax is important for keeping the paint looking good. Luckily, where I park, bird poop isn't usually an issue. I do try to remove it when that does happen.

Black does show defects probably more than most other colors, though.
Jim DeBruycker
2011 535i x-drive GT, 2014 i3 BEV
Soon (hopefully!) A 2021 X5 45e will replace the above

trumpetdoug

Wed Apr 08, 2020 12:54 pm

[quote=j

Black does show defects probably more than most other colors, though.
[/quote]

True that! My Prius looked amazing in black 15 years ago. Not so much now!

Doug - out

Return to “General / Main i3 Owners Forum”