Moved to snow country - Need i3 snow tire knowdedge

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EVMan

I have moved from Cali to east coast - sow country

May need snow tires , in at at least one of my cars , for those days

I never used winter tires before. I read winter tires are same size 155 in back and front , even for Rex.

Can some one confirm ?

So when i install the winter tiers, will i need a new tire rim for back ? Do 155 and 175 tiers use different rims ? I have 19" wheels

What all do i need to buy , apart from tires ?

Also , i have only been to Costco and Firestone shops and both have bridge stone tires.

Can i also get winter tires for i3 in above shops or need to shop in other places for other brands ( cheap / cost effective solution please )
Thx

It's the same rims front and rear. In Scotland I put them on October through to April.

Not near the car so can't confirm the size, but we opted for 19" rims and winter tyres, rather than swapping out summer tyres every year onto the same rims.

The winter wheels are powder coated, which is just as well as diamond cut is a waste of time, with water, road salt, etc.

Lightly, and I mean lightly grease the wheel bolts. BWM locking wheel bolts are particularly prone to seizing. Don't over-torque them.

Remember and reset the air pressure monitor TPMS afterwards. Job done.

Hello, I recently bought a set of Riall 19 inch black alloy wheels with Bridgestone Blizzaks from Tire Rack to go on my 2019 i3S (20 inch) during the winter. These come all mounted and balanced with the TPMS installed and ready to bolton. You can also get a factory wheel kit from BMW at close to the TireRack price but not sure of TPMS and balance &c plus having to drive 100 miles to get them ore pay a wad in shipping. I have verified that the Tire Rack wheels fit an i3S with no need for spacers.The Blizzak is an excellent snow tire and transforms the Ecopias on the car to something manageable in the winter. Do not trey to use the Ecopias in snow and ice.

BMW put out some winter tire testing information specifically for the i3. It's summarized on this page: http://www.electricvehiclewiki.com/wiki/bmw-i3-winter-tires-i3-winter-tyres/

There is also some information under the research tab at the top under "Guide: Best snow tire for EV"

louisgrenier said:
Now on studded tire at rear. What a relief ! It brakes and climbs up a wall

Louis

Do you have a link to those tires?
Or did you put the studs in yourself?

Regarding the Rial 19" wheels, is there a different offset on the front and rear wheel? I found the wheels on Tire Rack, but it is showing the same offset for the front and rear wheels (43 mm).

I noticed this on a page from BMW regarding snow tires.

"When having winter tires installed, make sure the shop keeps the front and rear wheels in their correct spots (in the front and the rear). One i3 owner had Nokia winter tires installed on a 2015 i3 Rex Giga, and winter specifications are for 155 width tires on the front and the rear (while the rear summer tire width is actually 175), so the shop wasn’t paying attention. Since the rear wheels have a larger offset, when installed on the front of the BMW i3, the tires actaully rub against the front coil springs. Read about the mishap here on the My BMW i3 Forum"

The RIAL wheels are all the same offset.
The comment you posted refers to a situation where the OEM wheels were removed and Winter tires installed on them.
The wheels were then put back on the car, but in the wrong positions (rear wheels on front and vice-versa).
The OEM wheels have different offsets for Front and Rear. This is not a problem with the RIAL wheels.

Slightly off topic, but I've been wondering: I have a i3s. Can I run all year round with all season tires mounted on the Rial 19" rims?
I am trying to get a less firm ride than the stock 20's. Thanks.

Back