I am just about to buy a i3s and usually drive 120-135 miles a day. Does the car have enough range for this

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

graceruby

Hi,
I am just about to buy a i3s and wondered what the real range is ? I would normally do 40% motorway, 40% a road and 20% city.
I do an average of 125 miles a day, would this work ok ?

2019 or newer with the 120Ah battery, I think you'll be fine with a nice buffer, even when cold. 125 would have been just inside the nice weather range margins of my 2017 94Ah with a mix of highway and streets.

I'd agree you're likely fine. I have a 60ah that is allegedly at 73% of its original capacity and the realistic range is 60 miles with "mild" climate control usage.

So, even with the same wear on the battery as my car, you'd be close to making it. Assuming your 120 has better capacity (which it should since it's much younger), that gives you a pretty good buffer for bad weather or battery degradation.

If it's possible, ask the seller if you can drive your daily route to get a feel for what kind of margin you're getting into.

As someone who’s had a new i3 BEV for just under a month, the only thing to be careful of are “side trips”. Not an issue for me but the wife is always thinking and will remember we need to stop here, then there, then backtrack a little.

If it's not a REX, that would terrify me. What happens if you get stuck for hours in a traffic jam due to an accident, especially in hot summer heat when the HVAC is sucking lots of battery power? But then again, it depends on where you live and whether charging stations are within easy access.

Back