Magiclamp

Auto car wash, ok?

Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:53 am

Does anyone know if it is ok to take the i3 to one of those automate car wash?

MKH
Gold Member

Re: Auto car wash, ok?

Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:35 am

Yes - but follow the steps in the manual:

From the manual:
Before driving into a car wash In order to ensure that the vehicle can roll in a car wash, take the following steps:
1. Drive into the car wash.
2. Engage selector lever position N.
3. Remove foot from brake pedal.
4. Press the Start/Stop button.
In this way, operating readiness remains switched on, and a Check-Control message is displayed.
To activate drive readiness:
1. Depress the brake pedal.
2. Press the Start/Stop button.
Pressing the Start/Stop button without stepping on the brake turns operating readiness off.

Also, check out the car wash operation/mechanicals ahead of time - some have reported getting their roof antenna knocked off in particular car washes.
Mark H.
2015 i3 Rex, Capparis White, Tera World, Technology & Driving Assistant, Parking Assistant, Harman Kardon Audio System, 19 inch 427 wheels, EVoInnovate EVSE

alohart

Sat Nov 17, 2018 12:45 pm

MKH wrote:Also, check out the car wash operation/mechanicals ahead of time - some have reported getting their roof antenna knocked off in particular car washes.
Good suggestion! I would simply unscrew the antenna which should be easy to do unless the threads are corroded.
Aloha,
Art

2014 BMW i3 Arravani Grey, Giga World, Tech + Driving Assist, Parking Assist, DC Fast Charging, JuiceBox EVSE

spartacus68

Sun Nov 18, 2018 3:29 pm

Take it this is a lease car? I haven't used car washes in about 30 years. The next time you car is under fluorescent lighting... you'll cry.
2015 i3 REx, 60ah, solar orange. Reversing camera, leather interior, sunroof, park assist, professional navigation.

CharonPDX

Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:31 pm

spartacus68 wrote:Take it this is a lease car? I haven't used car washes in about 30 years. The next time you car is under fluorescent lighting... you'll cry.
I think car washes have improved significantly in the past 30 years, then. Because I've been using car washes for my new cars for the past 15 years, and don't have any water spots.

i3Houston

Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:12 pm

I wash it once a month... no problems so far. I put the car on Neutral so parking senors go off!

Lately folks at car wash have started to put a tape on the rear wiper blade and fold mirrors.
TM3 Reservation holder/ 2015 i3 Rex

CharonPDX

Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:19 pm

i3Houston wrote:I wash it once a month... no problems so far. I put the car on Neutral so parking senors go off!

Lately folks at car wash have started to put a tape on the rear wiper blade and fold mirrors.
They do the "tape the rear wiper" to me, and it's annoying, because it means that bit of the tailgate doesn't get clean.

i3Houston

Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:00 pm

CharonPDX wrote:
i3Houston wrote:I wash it once a month... no problems so far. I put the car on Neutral so parking senors go off!

They do the "tape the rear wiper" to me, and it's annoying, because it means that bit of the tailgate doesn't get clean.

Yeah its a hassle but rear wiper is rarely used, i would not miss it if its gone!! :)
TM3 Reservation holder/ 2015 i3 Rex

Return to “General / Main i3 Owners Forum”