eNate

Re: BMW Connected drive 3G to 4G?

Wed Nov 10, 2021 5:27 am

bilbobalrags wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 5:15 pm
Finally solved thanks to the help of the local Beemer #1 genius guy. He persevered in getting a useful response from up the line somewhere. So here, verbatim , are the key points - quote

" Delete ALL old BMW Connected or MINI Connected App
Install "Firefox" ...
Wete you getting the "Invalid Token" error message when launching the app?
2 0 2 1   B M W   i 3   1 2 0 A h   B E V  O a k l a n d
 Wokeby Trunk Extension | Duosida 16A L1 EVSE
 SeaSucker Monkey Bar Roof Rack

bilbobalrags

Wed Nov 10, 2021 11:42 am

Invalid Token - yes. But also the kickback message changed on later attempts, who knows why, to "invalid client.....unknown client ..... > and some other gibberish"
My advice is, if you are having login problems, try the Firefox process. Easy and can't hurt. But first make sure your car is equipped with, at least, 4G.

eNate

Wed Nov 10, 2021 4:39 pm

The Play Store reviews are filled with this Invalid Token complaint, and the app developer had responded to a number of them with this fix. I'm surprised it wasn't automatic when you contacted BMW the first time.

The bug may or may not be Chrome specific. The more general advice is "make a different browser the default browser" but there's a catch: a number of browsers, including Opera, are now based off the Chrome kernel.

So Opera won't work. Dolphin will. I ran into issues with Firefox (I've had to do this twice now), but will try it again the next time it recurs.

Hopefully since the app developer and BMW are aware, this will get resolved shortly.

bilbobalrags

Wed Nov 10, 2021 5:20 pm

Interesting ENate, that you had to try it multiple times and that you had Firefox "issues". I think once the credentials are validated that the app is no longer dependent upon the browser. But then I really am naïve regarding apps and such.

But, app developer aside, BMW are surely culpable in this circumstance by not informing subscribers of the baseline conditions required to get the thing operational. And how to mitigate problems.B

MW have never, repeat NEVER , sent me any emails, texts,  or snail mail informing that the old app will be expiring and what to do about it.  No notification re: 2G-3G com boxes upcoming death.  Pure contempt for Beemer drivers.  Think I'll trade it in for an Aston Martin.

frictioncircle

Fri Nov 12, 2021 12:03 am

Pure contempt for Beemer drivers.

What did we do? ;)

eNate

Fri Nov 12, 2021 8:32 am

bilbobalrags wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 5:20 pm

...BMW are surely culpable in this circumstance by not informing subscribers of the baseline conditions required to get the thing operational. And how to mitigate problems.B

MW have never, repeat NEVER , sent me any emails, texts,  or snail mail informing that the old app will be expiring and what to do about it.  No notification re: 2G-3G com boxes upcoming death. ...
For what it's worth:

When I switched from the old BMW Connected app to the new My BMW app, it was seamless — this problem did not present until later. So I wouldn't classify this necessarily as an installation hurdle, and hopefully most users aren't experiencing this. The rates of complaints about it are fairly low on this forum and on the i3 Facebook groups.

As for notifications, I found out about the new app from a Facebook group, so switched on day 1. Didn't they post an End of Life message on the old app?

And I'm not understanding your complaint about the 3G expiring. It seems to me that owners of affected cars have been notified by mail and email. You wouldn't have received any communication because you're not affected.

bilbobalrags

Fri Nov 12, 2021 11:26 am

I have never received any notification from BMW. The 3G comment admittedly doesn't apply. Sorry for that. But I think we should ALL have been notified of the upcoming changes, the new MyBMW and the expiry of the 2G-3G situation. In my case not.
Your second comment is the same as happened to me with the following exception. I found out about the new MyBMW only because the old app suddenly failed to work. Scouted around and found the new mysterious MyBMW app. I installed it and, like you it worked seamlessly. Just the following day I hit the new app and it said something like "defective token and other gibberish". Thus was the start of my battle.
It works fine now but I always have a sense of dread before I click the button.

MKH
Gold Member

Thu Nov 18, 2021 5:26 am

This is interesting as a remote access replacement for 3G sunset. Designed originally for Tesla's by a couple of Tesla engineers.

https://www.openvehicles.com/

https://www.openvehicles.com/buy?fbclid ... fIqL344JWM

https://docs.openvehicles.com/en/latest ... index.html
Mark H.
2015 i3 Rex, Capparis White, Tera World, Technology & Driving Assistant, Parking Assistant, Harman Kardon Audio System, 19 inch Rial X10-i wheels, EVoInnovate EVSE

djbrh

Thu Nov 18, 2021 5:20 pm

MKH wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 5:26 am
This is interesting as a remote access replacement for 3G sunset. Designed originally for Tesla's by a couple of Tesla engineers.

https://www.openvehicles.com/

https://www.openvehicles.com/buy?fbclid ... fIqL344JWM

https://docs.openvehicles.com/en/latest ... index.html
As of now, no support for remote functions like lock/unlock or pre-acclimatize. If it starts to do those things, then it becomes very interesting for those of us getting sunset.

—Donnie

Return to “Technical BMW i3 Discussions”