Yiiikes

Re: Wood Dash Panels

Sat Jul 19, 2014 12:14 am

Wow! That is genius, that is the one thing I regret not having. I need to copy you on that immediately, what dealer did you go to?
Darren Schurig (Yiiikes)
BMW i3 in the garage
Ionic Silver, Mega, 20" wheels, Technology and Driving Assist package

drb

Sat Jul 19, 2014 6:30 am

I also live in Huntington Beach and my i3 just arrived at its delivery port yesterday. Please let me know what you learn about wood panels as I also think it is a great idea.

Bigbiscuits

Sat Jul 19, 2014 6:44 am

All dealers can oder and install the part. You don't even need the car yet to do so. Parts department and i3 then they will look through a catalog to find the part #. I personally had it done at Newport Beach Sterling BMW.

Yiiikes

Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:17 am

Sounds like Sterling better stock up on these parts, I am going there today. Sorry to flat out copy your idea but it is a good one, I will definitely give you credit for it to everyone.
Darren Schurig (Yiiikes)
BMW i3 in the garage
Ionic Silver, Mega, 20" wheels, Technology and Driving Assist package

Bigbiscuits

Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:45 am

I'll send you my address so that you can mail me the royalty checks... :)

afk

Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:44 pm

Did you see them replace the wood panel on the glove box? I wonder how hard that would be yourself.

Bigbiscuits

Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:05 am

I didn't see them replace it. Before I had BMW do the install I tried for a good long while to install the middle wood piece myself. The issue is that the plastic piece has some flex so I was able to take it out but the wood version is slightly thicker and without flex. This made it impossible to slip it under the monitor with how the clips are placed on the back. I finally just gave up.
Last edited by Bigbiscuits on Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:55 am, edited 2 times in total.

scottlawrencelawson

Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:10 pm

This is very cool.I have the wood panels already and was wondering about caring for them. Any ideas? I was thinking of using Orange oil, like this http://www.howardproducts.com/prod-orange-oil-lemon.php.
Check out and add yourself to the BMW i3 owners map! => http://goo.gl/062w6r

Scott Lawrence Lawson - i3 Tera BEV
http://www.scottlawrencelawson.com

auxnbus

Thu Dec 10, 2015 7:17 am

Sorry to bring this thread back from the dead - any tips on removing the trim pieces? It looks like the glove box lid is maybe held on with a couple screws... is that right?
Are the middle and driver side pieces typical trim held on with clamps? i.e. just pulls off?
2015 BMW i3 REx

Bigbiscuits

Thu Dec 10, 2015 9:51 am

If I recall correctly there are also some clamps for the glove box trim as well, but you are correct. It was a little touch-and-go removing the pieces due to the clamps being pretty tight. I had to use a screwdriver for leverage and scratched the surround back plastic up a bit in doing so. Replacing the trim with the wood pieces was also difficult due its thickness. It was difficult to shimmy under the display screen. If I were to do it over again I would bring it to a BMW dealership to have them swap it out. If they break something then they will replace.

Return to “Modifications & Accessories”