jadnashuanh

Re: Regen braking can be dangerous on icy roads

Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:01 pm

If you're astute enough to turn regen off when you experience this sort of situation, you'd also be astute enough to feather the pedal...muscle memory would not help here as expressed.

Some people avoid taking their car in to get the latest software updates, but BMW has tweaked this aspect of operation on the i3, and it makes it less likely to occur. But, if you experience ice when you drive and you're not using winter tires, you're doing yourself a disservice. Consider them a form of insurance...you hope you never need them, but you're glad when and if you do. All-season tires are a compromise all seasons, just like winter tires may not work great when it gets warm out, all-season ones (and especially summer tires) lose a lot of capability when it gets cold or the roads turn funky with snow or ice. The group observation that the i3's all-season tires tend to wear out fairly fast may be a symptom that Bridgestone made them slightly softer to provide better grip when used in the cold weather...this is just a guess.

NH gets a lot of snow and ice is not uncommon...I hope I never see this problem, but so far, it has not been an issue in the now nearly 4 winters of use.

Anyone in say Norway or Sweden where snow and ice is a significant component of driving have any comments?
Jim DeBruycker
2011 535i x-drive GT, 2014 i3 BEV
Soon (hopefully!) A 2021 X5 45e will replace the above

AlexDP

Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:25 am

The new LCI ASC/DSC system should avoid this...

MikeS

Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:32 am

What is LCI? ASC? DSC - dynamic stability control?
BMW 3 Series 2005 - Aug 2014
BMW Z4 35i 2009 - Mar 2014
BMW X1 Mar 14
BMW i3 Sep 14

theothertom

Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:07 pm

MikeS wrote:What is LCI? ASC? DSC - dynamic stability control?
LCI = life cycle impulse which is BMW speak for a model refresh that occurs about mid cycle of a models life. Models usually last 7 years so since the i3 started in 2014 the LCI occurred with the 2018 models.
ASC/DSC refers to traction control. Your other BMWs have this as well.

Milam
Gold Member

Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:28 pm

My i3 does pretty well in the ice and snow

EricC

Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:25 pm

My experience in Seattle which only has a few snowy icy days a year is that the regen braking can be scary on even a modest, icy downgrade. Maybe I haven't learned the system yet to trust ABS/traction control. I'm on the larger wheels and no snow tires so I expect this doesn't help. Much as I like my i3 my wife's Prius w snow tires runs circles around it in the slippery stuff. I'd buy snow tires/wheels but have only another year on lease so not worth it.

ASUN

Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:50 pm

EricC wrote:My experience in Seattle which only has a few snowy icy days a year is that the regen braking can be scary on even a modest, icy downgrade. Maybe I haven't learned the system yet to trust ABS/traction control. I'm on the larger wheels and no snow tires so I expect this doesn't help. Much as I like my i3 my wife's Prius w snow tires runs circles around it in the slippery stuff. I'd buy snow tires/wheels but have only another year on lease so not worth it.
You are not alone. It is a very very scary experience. Before you go down a hill, put the car in N, it will eliminate the regen. braking, so you can feather the brake pedal manually like a regular car for better control. Of course, getting a set of winter or all season tires will help. The summer tires are truly horrific on even slightly slippery surfaces.
- ASUN, 2016 BMW i3 BEV, Arravani Grey, Suite Interior, 20's, since Oct 25, 2015

AlexDP

Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:08 pm

The BMW i3s has Dynamic Stability Control with the functions familiar from other BMW vehicles. The only difference is that the BMW i3 is not fitted with a DTC button. DTC is turned on and off using the iDrive controller. The BMW i3 had previously also had Dynamic Traction Control. But this was limited only to the lower speed range up to 30 mph and essentially designed for straight-ahead driving. The DTC function was also modified when the new cruise control function was introduced in the BMW i3s for 11/2017. This means that maximum traction is available in the speed range over 60 mph and more drive power is permitted even when cornering. Special Automatic Stability Control has been developed for the demands of a highly dynamic electric drive. The control cycle works noticeably quicker than the previous ASC system. The ASC system also operates during recuperative deceleration of the vehicle and ensues that the deceleration can be maintained, even given difficult road surface conditions (rain/snow), and hence more energy can be recuperated. This results in improved stability, traction and availability of energy recovery in all driving and ambient conditions. In addition, an expanded and redesigned DTC mode ensures enhanced traction, particularly on loose surfaces and even more driving pleasure over the full speed range.

jadnashuanh

Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:20 pm

No car with summer tires should be driven in snow or ice. They don't work all that great when it gets cold, either. The difference between summer tires under those conditions and decent winter tires is like day and night. Think of them as insurance...you hope you never need them, but it's comforting if you ever do. There are places where driving without proper tires for the conditions is illegal, it's always kind of dumb. The i3 with the latest software is better than the original release. While I liked the stronger regen available on the first models, I can see where that could be a problem in messy conditions. The newest version limits max regen and adjusts how it is applied, giving you a lot more gentle reaction which is easier to control.

Don't feel bad, even in areas where snow happens a lot, the first couple of snowstorms of the season, people seem to have forgotten all of the skills they may have developed during the previous winters. Don't drive a car with summer tires in the cold or snowy/icy conditions...leave it at home. Any car. IMHO, the i3 isn't worse than most out there. If you've driven front-wheel drive vehicles for a long time, driving a rear-wheel drive car in dicey conditions is also a learning experience...best to attack it with the right tools.
Jim DeBruycker
2011 535i x-drive GT, 2014 i3 BEV
Soon (hopefully!) A 2021 X5 45e will replace the above

brorob

Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:21 am

jadnashuanh wrote:If you're astute enough to turn regen off when you experience this sort of situation, you'd also be astute enough to feather the pedal...muscle memory would not help here as expressed.
My thought was for a way to turn it off before driving in these conditions, not at the moment a situation like this happens. And yes, latest software updates is important but irrelevant since mine had the latest software and my rear wheels would continue to stay locked up when testing this behavior on my secluded icy road. Obviously winter tires are a given but I didn't have enough in my budget to purchase this expensive option for this car. I have a winter setup for the shared family ICE vehicle (much cheaper) and would drive that when it was really bad, but had to drive the i3 on some snowy days. Leasing the car for 2 years was already a splurge on my budget.

Even a 'perfect driver' is going to have an "Oh shit!" moment when a feature like this would be helpful, no matter what software version you have or tires you're driving on. The car could even alert the driver when beginning a journey based on the built in weather app. "Roads may be slippery, would you like to engage Winter Regen mode?"

Overall, I thought the car drove great in the snow because of the tall skinny tires and low & evenly distributed weight. I even preferred the rear wheel drive in most situations. Even in normal snowy conditions the all season tires were manageable. It was just a few icy drives that felt unsafe because of the aggressive regen.

Return to “Problems / Troubleshooting”