Loaner cars?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Devin

Just wondering if anyone has heard anything about BMWs car sharing program called "Alternate Mobility Program". In the earlier press releases from about a year ago BMW seemed to make a big deal about being able to temporarily trade in your I3 at your local BMW dealer for a BMW ICE car to use on occasional long trips. The idea was that you would get an allotment of trade-in days ( I think they suggested 10 days per year) and that you would be able to borrow the BMW ICE car at no cost. I asked a BMW representative a few weeks ago and she said the program was in effect, but she didn't know any details. The salesman I'm working with to buy my I3 has even less information.
The BMW website is pretty vague saying only:

Alternate Mobility Program
For those occasional long-distance trips, BMW i is developing customized mobility solutions for your longer excursions. Whether you're planning a long weekend getaway or a road trip vacation, BMW i will have you covered in style.
*Planned to be available in 2014.
(it's on the BMW I3 website under the "360 electric" tab and then under the "flexible mobility tab")

It would be pretty handy to be able to borrow a regular BMW for free to use on those occasional long trips. Does anyone have any more information

hhmmmm, maybe I misunderstood. Here's a link to a video that mentions the Alternative Mobility Program at about the 5.01 minute mark. http://insideevs.com/video-cnet-on-cars-bmw-i3-first-drive-review/
It says that BMW will "loan" you an ICE car to use on longer trips. I assumed the word "loan" meant free, if there were a fee involved then it seems that the word "rent" would have been more accurate. Oh well, it did seem a bit too good to be true so maybe the information wasn't exactly accurate. Either way, it probably won't make much difference for me since the REx I ordered should be able to take me everywhere I want to go.
Thanks for the info

Thanks for the link, I think I have a clearer understanding of the program. Thanks for the info.

We just received our i3 yesterday, love it. The dealer told us they had just entered into this program and they have 2 3-series cars in the dealership solely dedicated to i3 owners wanting to loan them for a longer trip. He said this is completely free of charge, we just need to give enough advance notice to make sure one of the cars is available. He will send more information soon. BTW, I am in Cincinnati, OH, USA.

the dealer said by the end of the year the free vacation loan plan would be in operation
if the dealer only has one or two cars for loan, I imagine one needs to carefully plan ahead to get the free loaner??

Back