Westoni3

Any one here ordered a Tesla Model 3?

Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:04 pm

Ordered one last week after being able to see one up, close and personal as well as seating on it.
Waiting to drive both an I3S and a Model 3 before i make my final decision.

jadnashuanh

Re: Any one here ordered a Tesla Model 3?

Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:28 pm

They're quite different cars. It really depends on what you intend to use them for. The i3 is smaller, more maneuverable, but definitely does not have the range. While both are comfortable for four people, you can get a fifth in Tesla. The i3 would probably win on the largest item you can fit, but total storage space may go to the Tesla. IMHO, they serve different purposes and needs. Good luck with whichever one you choose. Just ordering one now, you're probably looking at a delivery date more than a year away, probably longer. The i3, you can buy today. By the time you get the Tesla, they may have been through their allotment of federal tax credits, while BMW probably won't (assuming it doesn't get extended...they didn't really want to keep it in the last tax bill). If you option up the Tesla, the costs are similar. By the time you get one, there will likely be some additional EVs out there that may be worth considering. FWIW, Tesla only lost a bit over $600M last quarter...and has only made money a couple of times...Musk has deep pockets, but who knows how the stock market will feel about their continued losses if they don't get the model 3 on track.
Jim DeBruycker
2011 535i x-drive GT, 2014 i3 BEV

psquare

Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:19 am

jadnashuanh wrote:They're quite different cars. It really depends on what you intend to use them for. The i3 is smaller, more maneuverable, but definitely does not have the range. While both are comfortable for four people, you can get a fifth in Tesla. The i3 would probably win on the largest item you can fit, but total storage space may go to the Tesla. IMHO, they serve different purposes and needs. Good luck with whichever one you choose. Just ordering one now, you're probably looking at a delivery date more than a year away, probably longer. The i3, you can buy today. By the time you get the Tesla, they may have been through their allotment of federal tax credits, while BMW probably won't (assuming it doesn't get extended...they didn't really want to keep it in the last tax bill). If you option up the Tesla, the costs are similar. By the time you get one, there will likely be some additional EVs out there that may be worth considering. FWIW, Tesla only lost a bit over $600M last quarter...and has only made money a couple of times...Musk has deep pockets, but who knows how the stock market will feel about their continued losses if they don't get the model 3 on track.
I couldn't have said it any better.

The more crucial thing to figure out is your daily mileage requirements and whether the EV is your first or second car. We've got a 225xe for long range, which can also do EV on up to 18mi locally. The i3 is our rural runaround vehicle. We rarely need a car for more than 50mi per day, therefore having a car with a 150mi+ electric-only radius isn't very high on our agenda.

Our i3 is coming to 3 years now and I still love it. I might replace it in another 3 years with a used i3 second gen BEV, but who knows....

Kiwi

Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:17 am

I'm not a cult person who buys a Tesla from a company who burns money like they print it themselves and have to spend time fixing Tesla 3's once it is manufactured. They are dangerous to drive due to all controls are on its iPad type screen. Wait until a few get sued for taking there eyes off the road ahead because of playing with the iPad screen.
Every time I see Tesla vehicle's I think cult loser.

MikeS

Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:28 am

I ordered 1 about a year ago expecting to get it on late 2019 early 2020! That is why I have ordered an Ioniq EV for this Sep when my i3 lease ends. Could not warrant the expense of an i3. Too much money for too few miles.
BMW 3 Series 2005 - Aug 2014
BMW Z4 35i 2009 - Mar 2014
BMW X1 Mar 14
BMW i3 Sep 14

graememwl

Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:36 am

I'm a fan of Tesla (I drive past their factory in Fremont every day on my commute). I'm also impatient, which is why I went for a car I can buy immediately :)
Elon has deep pockets, and right now he needs them. While they bring the Model 3 production numbers up, they are burning through $8000/minute (if you believe this article) http://autoweek.com/article/green-cars/ ... eport-says

As for the value equation. Off-lease CPO i3's here in California are selling for <$20k. I paid <$19k for my fully loaded '15 Tera World i3. That's for a car with 2 years of factory warranty, plus a further year of CPO warranty. Base model '14 Mega World cars can be had for less than $15k. Those still have 1+1 years of warranty.

Once Tesla has figured out how to mass produce vehicles, I'll consider one.

jadnashuanh

Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:15 pm

Right now, IMHO, one should only buy an EV if you are planning on it meeting your needs and you intend to keep it for a number of years. The battery tech is making larger batteries cheaper, and more dense, and, while not everyone needs more battery capacity, the average person is scared when thinking about any EV from an ICE, and the combination causes the depreciation to be higher than a similar sized ICE. In my situation, I rarely need more than 25-miles in a day, so a larger battery is kind of irrelevant. I bought my i3, and plan to keep it a long time. So, for those that always must have the latest and greatest, leasing makes more sense. The least expensive way to have a car is to buy it and run it into the ground over a long time. It does not appear that BMW is subsidizing their i3 leases as much as they originally did.
Jim DeBruycker
2011 535i x-drive GT, 2014 i3 BEV

Kiwi

Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:34 am

What needs to happen is a lot better infrastructure otherwise EV's will die and plug in hybrids will be the vehicle's of choice. Time is money and having to wait while a vehicle charges is a whole lot of wast of money and kills the perceived savings.
The Tesla 3 is just plain dangerous due 99% of all controls you have to use the screen so this means taking your eyes off the road ahead. A child runs out on the street how guilty will you feel for the rest of your life if you killed this child because you were playing with the screen to adjust the cars cruise control speed. Its crazy not being able have heads up display in some form.

theothertom

Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:22 am

I agree about the display but hopefully Tesla 3 has some sort of collision avoidance sensors/software, for pedestrians and other objects.

clutchy

Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:08 am

Westoni3 wrote:Ordered one last week after being able to see one up, close and personal as well as seating on it.
Waiting to drive both an I3S and a Model 3 before i make my final decision.
I pre-ordered day 1 but eventually drove an i3 about 3 months ago.

I liked it so much I dropped my reservation and picked up a used i3 BEV. It's currently my favorite car of the 4 bmw's I own.

Return to “News and Main BMW i3 Forum Discussions”