how much did you pay? above or below MSRP?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

furymn

As I get ready to buy a REX, I want to gauge what price others are paying?

1. Pure Electric or REX?
2. How much below/above MSRP?
3. City, State

Thanks in advance!

Gosh, I sure hope no one paid above MSRP!

Here in Toronto, the 3 dealers allowed to sell the i3 have basically colluded and won't give discounts (at least for now).
That being said, I know of at lease one BEV and one REx that are sitting on a lot unsold. So discounts will probably start in 6 months or so.
Buying a BEV in late December should generate a discount!

A sales manager told me the dealer margin is 6%. Not sure if that's accurate.

In the US, there were 2 dealers in Colorado I believe that were advertising 8% discounts! but that could be not real and just a ploy to get you in the door...

Surge said:
In the US, there were 2 dealers in Colorado I believe that were advertising 8% discounts! but that could be not real and just a ploy to get you in the door...

Where did you see this? There's a good chance we'll be buying/ordering one soon, and we live in Colorado.

MarkN said:
Surge said:

Where did you see this? There's a good chance we'll be buying/ordering one soon, and we live in Colorado.

It is on the Bimmerpost forum in the i3/i4 section. Good luck!
I posted about it here and included the link (sorry I'm in the car and can't look it up right now).

I've mentioned this before that the i3 is owned by Munich and dealers are only handling agents that receive a fee for each one that's been sold.
Until bmw hq decide to reduce the price the price will remain the same

BoMW said:
I've mentioned this before that the i3 is owned by Munich and dealers are only handling agents that receive a fee for each one that's been sold.
That's certainly the case in the UK but do we know if it is worldwide or is this an assumption?

cyellen said:
I'm paying MSRP...ordered on Monday and don't expect a dime in savings. I'm just hoping for a free keychain. :)

I received a free pot plant with the F10.....I nearly managed to get a pen from the sales rep at the "i3 Agency" but he took it back.....

....oh to be trailing the white hot edge of technology.......

A silver i3 Rex just drove up the street here in Sheffield. Apparently it is my son's accountant and he was the first i3 in Sheffield. He has leather as well...before the dead cow famine. I must be in the wrong game....

BoMW said:

Hi, if dealers are only agents, can they offer me a 4 year lease deal, as mine did ? (brochures indicate 3 year deals)
Bev ordered 08/04/14, Laurus grey, 428 wheels, no other boxes ticked, estimated delivery late October; no other information forthcoming from dealer to date; feeling very isolated :!:

Tera BEV with everything but 20 inch wheels. MSRP $50,875. Paying invoice + $1000 = 48,420. So $2455 under sticker. The kicker is it's 230 miles away. Pondering finding a midpoint with a L2 charger or just sucking it up and paying $280 to trailer it home.

RJSATLBA said:
BoMW said:
That's certainly the case in the UK but do we know if it is worldwide or is this an assumption?

Not true in the US. Most states (probably all) have dealer franchise laws that prevent any automobile manufacturer with existing independent dealers from selling directly to the public. Manufacturers must sell to the dealers who in turn sell to the public. Meaning dealers are free to set whatever price the market will bear.

stumbledotcom said:
RJSATLBA said:
BoMW said:

Not true in the US. Most states (probably all) have dealer franchise laws that prevent any automobile manufacturer with existing independent dealers from selling directly to the public. Manufacturers must sell to the dealers who in turn sell to the public. Meaning dealers are free to set whatever price the market will bear.

"Not true" but yet you say probably, the answer is for someone to ask the dealer what the arrangements are with the i3.

BoMW said:
"Not true" but yet you say probably, the answer is for someone to ask the dealer what the arrangements are with the i3.

Or you could do some basic research:

"In the United States, direct manufacturer auto sales are prohibited in almost every state by franchise laws requiring that new cars be sold only by dealers." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Car_dealerships_in_North_America

Each US state has slightly different laws governing new car sales, hence my and Wikipedia's equivocal language. The general idea is the same though. Manufacturers cannot sell directly to the public. Independent dealers buy franchise rights to sell each brand. Because it's the law in the most populous states, the dealer franchise model became the way the business runs in all states.

Now in some states the laws apply only to manufacturers that have existing dealer franchises, hence Tesla's factory-owned stores. However a few states, including Arizona, Maryland, New Jersey, Texas, and Virginia, ban all direct sales to consumers. Tesla's stores in Texas have vehicle displays but can't show/discuss prices or offer test drives. A Texas buyer has to go to the website to spec, price, finance, and complete the purchase. And when it comes time for service, the Texas customer cannot speak to the local employees. The owner has to call Tesla HQ in California with the service requests. Tesla HQ then speaks to the Texas mechanics.

http://www.greencarreports.com/news...chise-rules-make-model-s-owners-skirt-the-law

While I can imagine that details of BMW NA's contracts with each dealer will vary depending on applicable state law, I'm certain there's one general operating principle for all 50 states. Each dealer buys the vehicles, i3 and i8 included, from BMW NA then turns around and resells them to the public.

stumbledotcom said:
BoMW said:

Or you could do some basic research:

"In the United States, direct manufacturer auto sales are prohibited in almost every state by franchise laws requiring that new cars be sold only by dealers." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Car_de...posing the question to a dealer, who owns it?

BoMW said:
There is the possible answer, NEW CARS. BMW dealers are selling new i3's but it sounds like they can still be owned by BMW Munich and the dealer benefits from a simple handling fee. Maybe the dealer buys an i3 from Munich but at a price where they can't discount like they do on petroll/diesel cars. It would still be worth posing the question to a dealer, who owns it?

I don't understand why you can't accept the fact that the US business process is different from the one used in Europe. BMW AG (aka Munich) doesn't conduct business here officially. Everything is channeled through the subsidiary BMW of North America, LLC—on paper a distinct company. BMW NA imports the vehicles and wholesales them to the franchised dealers. The lineage is stated (by law) on the Monroney window sticker. Mine clearly shows my dealer as the buyer.

IMG_3605.jpg

If your theory was correct, there wouldn't be reports of people in low demand states buying at prices below MSRP. Or dealers in high demand states trying to mark up the vehicles above MSRP. And I certainly wouldn't have a friend who didn't participate in the Active E trial yet still managed to buy an Electronaut Edition i3 off the showroom floor because the person who ordered it backed out at the last minute.

stumbledotcom said:
BoMW said:
There is the possible answer, NEW CARS. BMW dealers are selling new i3's but it sounds like they can still be owned by BMW Munich and the dealer benefits from a simple handling fee. Maybe the dealer buys an i3 from Munich but at a price where they can't discount like they do on petroll/diesel cars. It would still be worth posing the question to a dealer, who owns it?

I don't understand why you can't accept the fact that the US business process is different from the one used in Europe. BMW AG (aka Munich) doesn't conduct business here officially. Everything is channeled through the subsidiary BMW of North America, LLC—on paper a distinct company. BMW NA imports the vehicles and wholesales them to the franchised dealers. The lineage is stated (by law) on the Monroney window sticker. Mine clearly shows my dealer as the buyer.

IMG_3605.jpg

If your theory was correct, there wouldn't be reports of people in low demand states buying at prices below MSRP. Or dealers in high demand states trying to mark up the vehicles above MSRP. And I certainly wouldn't have a friend who didn't participate in the Active E trial yet still managed to buy an Electronaut Edition i3 off the showroom floor because the person who ordered it backed out at the last minute.

In Sweden they are doing it the same way as the rest of europe. Only a few (3) bmw dealers , the ones owned directly by bmw offer the i3. Also they are the only ones for now that service it.
I payed MSRP here . They said there wasnt a cent they could lower it with.....and im usually a good negotiator.

However, ive done my homework and compared it to all the other alternatives, and here the i3 is by far the best offering.

Back