Fisher99

Re: Brake Dust and Time to Charge indicator

Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:09 pm

Same as alohart. I have virtually zero brake dust accumulation on my wheels. I mean really, not at all. Unlike my wife's 535i xDrive, which accumulates noticeable brake dust. Or my Ram/Cummins HD which accumulates a LOT of brake dust.

vreihen

Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:24 pm

I'm with @Fisher99. My Ram/Cummins front rims are covered with baked-on rusty brake dust, but my i3 rims are 100% spotless.

I was driving my i3 slowly during the later afternoon today and thought about this thread when I noticed the sun brightly reflecting off the spokes on my rims and being visible in broad daylight on the ground as the wheels turned! Haven't been to a car wash in a month now, and the wheels are still clean enough to make bright reflections.....
2015 BMW i3 BEV, Giga World, Tech and Driving Assistant packages, 15K miles

jadnashuanh

Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:13 pm

I'm not positive, but I think the time to charge display doesn't come on until I lock my car, then, it doesn't stay on forever.
Jim DeBruycker
2011 535i x-drive GT, 2014 i3 BEV

Deutsch100

Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:28 pm

I do think if it is brake dust or rust from rotors or road grime and dirt...it just probably shows more on my high gloss black 20" wheels.

Compared to a non-regenerative braking car/suv, my i3 has little brake dust, but I am just surprised that my wheels do not stay as clean as I expected them too.

The chrome BMW wheels I had on my 750i ActiveHybrid and on our 740e, X5 40e and even X5 35d stayed clean for weeks.

In regards to charging...with my car unlocked in our garage, when I plug the car into the BMW wall charger, the instrument cluster shows battery life and time of charging completion.
2019 i3 Sport Rex. Capparis White/Frozen Blue. 20" black wheels. Tech & Driving Assit Pkg, Moonroof. Deka World.

SkepTeach

Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:31 am

"Before I bought my i3S, I was ordering a Model 3...but I could not get past no Satellite radio offered in the Model 3 and you had to enter the Climate menu on the giant screen and use your fingers to pinch and pull on the screen to ADJUST the hvac vents. All whilst driving. SO dangerous and needlessly complicated. Also the comfort access system on the i3 is much easier and simpler than Tesla. They have too much "to learn" and get used to. The i3 feels and drives like a BMW!"

We are all in on EVs and currently have a Bolt, Model 3 Standard Range+, and a Volt. The M3 replaced the i3 we used to have, and the Volt is soon to be replaced with the i3s I ordered.

We've only had the M3 for a few weeks now, but I have to admit, I am super impressed with that car. It feels a lot more like a "normal" car than an EV like the Bolt or i3, yet it also reminds me of the BMW sedans and coupes I used to drive with its road feel. It does sit very low like someone else mentioned, so ingress and egress is slightly more cumbersome. I was not really sold on the all-encompassing center screen, but in the few times my partner has allowed me to drive the car, I have found it to be pretty easy to use. At night, the instinctual glance behind the wheel for speed or other info can be a little startling when you notice nothing but a void of darkness is staring back at you. I can totally agree with the argument about it being distracting, but that's what autopilot is for right?? haha

Honestly, I'm glad the i3s will be my DD. The M3 is a blast to drive in its own right, but I think the i3 makes a better DD experience.

Deutsch100

Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:54 pm

Agree Skepteach!

The Model 3 sits almost as low as my Porsche 911S, and while I am not old...I'm not 18 anymore and getting in and out of super low cars is not as fun as it used to be, LOL.

The big center screen on the Model 3 was better than I thought it would be, but the needing to access a Climate menu to move the air direction on the vents is hands down the stupidest, most dangerous and pointless "feature" I have ever seen in a car. And yeah...for almost $50,000, I want satellite radio :)

The Model 3 is great, but I for sure love the i3 more ;)
2019 i3 Sport Rex. Capparis White/Frozen Blue. 20" black wheels. Tech & Driving Assit Pkg, Moonroof. Deka World.

Deutsch100

Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:53 pm

I know I have not personally responded to each response, but I want to say THANK YOU to everyone who has taken the time to reply and comment on my post. :)

Return to “General / Main i3 Owners Forum”