KarlC

Re: Replacement REX - BMW dealer quoted £10k for repair

Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:23 am

My understanding is that is some USA States the REX motor and most any issues with it would be covered under the 15 year 150K mile warranty.

2015 i3 Rex, Arravani Grey, Tera World, Technology, Driving & Parking Assistant, Harman Kardon Audio System, 19" wheels

MKH
Gold Member

Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:26 am

My understanding is that is some USA States the REX motor and most any issues with it would be covered under the 15 year 150K mile warranty.
I thought so to, but in checking directly with BMW-NA, this extended warranty is only as it relates to emissions. If the car/REx fails a State emissions test, repairs to it so it will meet emissions standards are covered 15/150.

If the REx packs it in for any other reason, because it ate a valve for example or the ECM for the REx failed, not covered by this extension.
Mark H.
2015 i3 Rex, Capparis White, Tera World, Technology & Driving Assistant, Parking Assistant, Harman Kardon Audio System, 19 inch 427 wheels, EVoInnovate EVSE

jadnashuanh

Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:43 pm

Engines prefer to be run at least periodically. This ensures any moisture that may be in there gets boiled out, all of the surfaces get oil spread over them again, and the bearings are moved so things don't freeze up. BMW tries to do this, but I think a bit more often is likely better. Then, some people shut the car off prior to things running their full cycle. The engine itself should last a long time if you do the specified maintenance.
Jim DeBruycker
2011 535i x-drive GT, 2014 i3 BEV

tliet

Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:19 pm

Now the UK is still part of the EU, invoke your rights as laid out in the EU consumer law, an abstract of which you can find here: https://europa.eu/youreurope/business/d ... dex_en.htm

In short, as a consumer (mind you, not a company), you can expect this important part of your car to work for a reasonable period, comparable to other similar products. At the very least significantly beyond 2 years. Even though the warranty expired by 3 months, expecting to have to pay 10K for a replacement borderlines ridiculous.

Mick787

Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:25 am

You have a very good point there tliet.

However, I'm starting to think there is something about this thread that I find a bit odd. No updates from the OP since the post, which was placed on the day of joining the forum. Call me whatever, but I'm starting to wonder if this is a genuine user/owner with a genuine fault.

Return to “BMW i3 Rex Specific Discussions”