Can I charge my i3 120Ah at a Tesla CCS charge station?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tesla uses a proprietary charge port that isn't CCS, Combined Charging Standard.

European Teslas have the top AC portion of the European Type 2 CCS charge port for DC fast charging at its Superchargers as well as AC charging at any AC charging station including Tesla Destination Chargers. A European i3 would be able to AC charge at a Tesla Destination Charger that's not configured to work only with Tesla vehicles via an electronic handshake.

In North America, Tesla uses a proprietary charge plug that is incompatible with the North American Type 1 CCS or the AC J1772 charge port used on an i3. There is an adapter that allows any EV with a J1772 charge port including an i3 to be AC charged by a Tesla Destination Charger that's not configured to work only with Tesla vehicles via an electronic handshake.

However, no i3 or any non-Tesla EV can be charged by a Tesla Supercharger due to incompatibility between a Supercharger plug and a CCS charge port and the lack of the necessary electronic handshake.

The original CCS standard did not allow the charge speed that Tesla wanted, so IMHO, Tesla decided to build their own. THat also kept the 'riff raff' from trying to tie up the charging network Tesla spent a lot of money building. There was talk about letting others utilize their standard and share the costs, but that never happened. Don't know what the financial impacts may have been for that to have happened. The digital protocol used by Tesla would need, not only a new plug or adapter for a CCS unit, but a smart computer that could negotiate the required information for charging to start and continue properly. Since use of a supercharger can be either free or paid, somehow, the protocol must identify the vehicle to ensure they are authorized to use it...none of the CCS equipped vehicles have that capability nor is the plug the same.

The newest CCS standards now allow up to 350Kw/hr charge rates, more than the original Tesla, and far more than an i3 can handle. Tesla has been updating their hardware to allow faster charging speeds, and to be honest, there aren't all that many CCS units that can handle those high rates, either.

At least in the USA, Tesla Superchargers are off limits to anything except Tesla vehicles, both from a compatibility and functional issue.

Tesla Destination Chargers seem to be fairly ubiquitous at malls, hotels, restaurants and even wineries. They are level 2 chargers that do not need an electronic handshake, but you will need an adapter.

I have made good. use of free charging using a JDapter Stub which has a permanent home in my frunk - just in case:

https://shop.quickchargepower.com/JDapter-Stub-40-Amp-Tesla-Charge-Station-Adaptor-JDPTRSTB.htm

Here is the original article that showed me the way:

https://www.bmwblog.com/2017/11/02/new-adapter-allows-bmw-plug-ins-use-tesla-destination-chargers/

Back