BMW Connected drive 3G to 4G?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
eXodus said:
where exactly is the telematics unit? behind the headunit? I got a Torx 50 :p I would double check on my 2017 the next time I do something under the rear seats.

Pop up Rear Seat.
There are 2 groups of electronics boxes.
On the Driver's side, look for the black box at the forward end of that group.
Blue plug on one side, Pink plug on the other side.

The question is, does each 'new' Telematics box ordered as parts come with the required paid-for wireless/cell provider service plan already in place? Without the service plan (and the link to BMW), it's basically the guts of a cell-phone in a steel box without any service - great as a paperweight, but not much else.

JohnWasser said:
The parts list notes: "Order and installation of an encoded telematics control unit will deactivate the currently installed SIM map. ConnectedDrive and Teleservice services
can then only be implemented with the new control unit. The ordered control unit does not
operate in any other vehicle, only this one! See PuMA measure 62720112"
Seems similar to an i3 fob that is encoded by BMW to work only in a vehicle with a specified VIN. When a replacement module is encoded to a VIN, the existing module quits working. I wonder whether a 4G telematics module from a wreck could be encoded to work with a different i3, and if so, could an i3 owner do this encoding using a pirated copy of BMW's maintenance software. Could a BMW dealer or independent mechanic do the encoding?

I read someone in the 5 series board upgrading their "combox" from 2G to 4G (2012 model)

Which is they figured out with INPA+ and workshop manuals. No dealer necessary after buying an correctly encoded box.

Yet there was a mention of calling connected services after the car was running to get the subscription reinstated which was expired on that car. They wanted to know the numbers on the box.
IMEI: (bunch of numbers)
ICCID: (bunch of numbers)

The telematics unit is different on the outside, but maybe the path could be similar?

Here is a question: My Remote & eDrive services are subscribed (included with the initial purchase) until late 2024. I know this was the case for all MY2014 US i3's. I think they later changed that - I have a friend with MY2016 whose Remote service just expired. If AT&T stops 3G next year how will BMW continue to provide the above subscribed services? I would think they would have to upgrade the tele module for free to do that, right? :D

would think they would have to upgrade the tele module for free to do that, right? :D

Let's hope so - my 2015 shows my Remote & eDrive services are subscribed (included with the initial purchase) until early 2026. ;)

rtanov said:
My Remote & eDrive services are subscribed (included with the initial purchase) until late 2024. I know this was the case for all MY2014 US i3's. I think they later changed that - I have a friend with MY2016 whose Remote service just expired. If AT&T stops 3G next year how will BMW continue to provide the above subscribed services? I would think they would have to upgrade the tele module for free to do that, right? :D
Or BMW might offer a credit toward the purchase of BMW accessories, for example.

If BMW were going to offer a reasonable telematics module upgrade, they should have done so before now because some of us 2014 i3 owners have already lost the ability to renew ConnectedServices subscriptions.

alohart said:
Or BMW might offer a credit toward the purchase of BMW accessories, for example.

If BMW were going to offer a reasonable telematics module upgrade, they should have done so before now because some of us 2014 i3 owners have already lost the ability to renew ConnectedServices subscriptions.

I definitely agree Art. IMO, BMW is really handling this poorly. Given they have known that 3G service was going away for a while now, they should have communicated to each owner regarding what options are available to keep their Connected Drive functionality after 3G gets dropped next year. Finding out that Connected Drive is going bye bye by not being able to renew the option is ridiculous!

Has anyone tried reaching out to BMW directly about this?

I received my notification email this week, did some research and found this thread. I called the phone number in the email, was informed they only handled the software side of connected drive and they suggested I call various dealers as each is a franchise and may not be handling consistently. Didn't feel that was a productive exercise and asked for a service phone number above the dealers and was given Customer Relations 800-831-1117. Called this number, was told that BMW is aware of the situation but has not formulated a response or plan yet. The rep I spoke with suggested I file a formal complaint which I did. My suggestion is that we all need to do this then call monthly until BMW provides an upgrade path at no or very little cost. The more complaints files the more "votes" of customer dissatisfaction with they way BMW is handling.

The other solution is start a class action lawsuit against BMW for selling services it can’t provide. Notice in the new “My BMW” app, the terms and conditions state (basically in a nutshell) BMW is not responsible for termination of the network services and the only remedy available to the user is a refund of said services to the user.

I didn’t accept the terms of use, and I have subscriptions beyond Feb 2022, and my factory warranty ends beyond the sunset of the 3G network.

If they don’t offer a solution to deliver paid services and working network services to owners who have factory warranties beyond the sunset of 3G, like Mercedes had when they had people cutoff (2G to 3G switchover) who were under factory warranty, then a class action lawsuit will be in order.

I generally don’t like legal proceedings, but in order to preserve what I purchased and expected when I purchased the services (including the existing factory warranty) then legal is the route I’m taking…

FYI: I have a 2017 i3 with a factory warranty which stops beyond the sunset date of 3G.

Just my 2 cents…

airman2482 said:
The other solution is start a class action lawsuit against BMW for selling services it can’t provide. Notice in the new “My BMW” app, the terms and conditions state (basically in a nutshell) BMW is not responsible for termination of the network services and the only remedy available to the user is a refund of said services to the user.

The previous TOS for the Connected Portal and Connected App had similar language. Anyone using the service had to agree to those TOS when creating a Connected Account.
I generally don’t like legal proceedings, but in order to preserve what I purchased and expected when I purchased the services (including the existing factory warranty) then legal is the route I’m taking…

FYI: I have a 2017 i3 with a factory warranty which stops beyond the sunset date of 3G.

Your 2017 has a 4G Telematics Control Unit so your services will continue. My 2017 has a build date of 04/2017 with an end date for the Factory Warranty of June 17, 2021. I am allowed to renew services via the Connected Drive Portal.
What is the build date of your car?

My build date (based on the label on the front drivers “A”pillar) is 5/17. But it wasn’t sold to an end retail customer until the end of of February 2018, my factory warranty expires next Feb (2022).

Thought of extending my warranty until Feb 2023.

Yes the TOS was part of the last “my BMW”. However this time I wrote them a letter rejecting my agreement to their TOS.

When the BMW online shows up in the corner of your I drive screen, does it indicate 3G or 4G..? Of course 4G requires a 4G SIM card AFAIK….

airman2482 said:
My build date (based on the label on the front drivers “A”pillar) is 5/17.

My car with a build date of 04/17 has a 4G label on the Telematics Control Unit. Yours should as well, but you would have to pop up the rear seat and remove some brackets to get to it.
When the BMW online shows up in the corner of your I drive screen, does it indicate 3G or 4G..? Of course 4G requires a 4G SIM card AFAIK….

Mine shows 3G, but I don't think that "icon" is generated by the Telematics box. I'm pretty sure it is generated by that version of the iDrive software, so it is rather misleading.

Related Anecdote: Sometime last year I read a post (where I do not recall) of someone with either a 2015 or 2016 model that had a 3G Telematics Control Unit failure under warranty. It was replaced at no charge but BMW did not have any 3G units, so they put in a 4G unit and programmed it. The owner noted that if he paid retail for the repair, it would have been about $1500 USD. He also noted that despite the new 4G box, the screen still displayed "3G".

The real telling factor is that owners with 2014-2016 models that have 3G are not allowed to renew their Connected Services when they expire because BMW can't guarantee service past Feb 2022. If I go to the Connected Drive portal either via the app or via the website and log in, I am now within 30 days of Expiration, but allowed to Renew Services for $50 for a year for basic remote access. They also are now offering me Basic Remote Services PLUS RealTime Traffic Info for $90/year which was not an option a few months ago. These options are not available if you have a 3G Telematics unit.

BMW did offer to extend full Connected Services to ALL model years affected by the 3G sunset. This meant if your services expired and you could not renew, they allowed you to click a few links and Services would be restored for no charge for less than a year, until Feb 2022 when they would shut off.

But again, this does not apply to the 2017 model year based on everything I (and others) have found in the past few months.

The SIM is just a serial number to identify the device / account.

Kind of like when I recently changed from my previous 4G phone (which also supported 2G and 3G) to a new 5G capable phone (which also supports 4G and CDMA / EVDO) -- I just swapped the old SIM into the new phone, it power up, connected to the network, and works great on 5G.

My 2017 doesn't show the 4G icon and I haven't found the part number on the box (I've looked -- hard -- but haven't unbolted it). But I also haven't received the notification emails, and it appears I can re-up my subscriptions when I click around on BMWs website, so I assume I'm 4G.

My take is that, at least in my case, BMW is culpable in this debacle. Here are my specifics and evidence supporting my claim.
I purchased a low mileage used 2017 i3 from a BMW dealer in California. I am currently on a connected drive subscription expiring in January 2022, It stopped working sometime in October 2021 and I've spent many hours trying to figure out what was happening. Phone calls to the local dealer. Emails to BMW customer service (sneaky bunch). BTW I received no email notification from BMW.
But I did find out that my car is equipped with a 2G combox. My understanding is that all BMW following the 2016 model was to be equipped with 4G technology (I'm trying to document that).
So the question is, did BMW see this coming and is now refusing to make us whole? My car is only 4-5 years old and they equipped it with 2G technology that is 3 generations old. Seems to me that they saw an opportunity to clean out obsolete parts bins to save a few dollars (Euros).
Did they claim not to have seen this coming - the near term phase out of 2G-3G? Here is a LA time article dated August 2012. Nine years ago and 5 years before my 2017 model.

https://www.latimes.com/business/la-xpm-2012-aug-03-la-fi-tn-att-2g-20120803-story.html

There is no way that BMW was not aware of this impending shutdown. IMO they are culpable and liable for easily foreseen non-trivial damage to their customers. Some earlier posts mentioned a class action which isn't ideal but perhaps necessary to get their attention. I've no idea how to get this or some similar ball rolling but am certainly willing to participate to my ability. Do we have any lawyers in this gang?

The assumption is that the charge to 4G occurred in July 2016 based on parts number revision days.

There's on way you had a 2G box. It's likely the 3G boxes were 2G compatible, but 2G went the way of the dodo long ago.

The "parts bin" only refers to components that are active, perhaps on other models, that the manufacturer has ready access to. As illustrated by the current production difficulties due to constrained supply, this is all Just In Time production relying on parts showing up when needed for assembly, to avoid the manufacturer having to operate an extensive warehousing operation. So no, there was no 20k unit stockpile of 2G radios sitting on a shelf somewhere that BMW decided to use up. And especially not on a 2017.

bilbobalrags said:
I purchased a low mileage used 2017 i3 from a BMW dealer in California.

What is the Build Date of your car?
It is on the Black VIN plate on the Drivers side in the upper LH corner.

Back