Whinters

Re: Lowering springs for the i3?

Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:47 am

Interesting...

For me, the standard ride is a bit too "spongy", so along with improving the visuals - I was hoping it might make the car a little more poised when cornering at speed?

I see that H&R also now offer a sports spring application for the i3, so does anyone have any experience of this compared to the cobra version?

i3atl

Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:57 am

Whinters wrote:Interesting...

For me, the standard ride is a bit too "spongy", so along with improving the visuals - I was hoping it might make the car a little more poised when cornering at speed?

I see that H&R also now offer a sports spring application for the i3, so does anyone have any experience of this compared to the cobra version?
I've only seen photos of one car with the H&R kit installed. If you're part of the FB group you can see the thread/discussion here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/BMWi3/p ... 212798708/

Whinters

Thu Aug 13, 2015 3:30 am

Thanks - I'll join the group and take a look :)

For anyone who has had lowering springs fitted - was the work required to fit these described as different compared to normal ICE cars? The first couple of mechanics I've contacted have been wary about touching the car, as it supposedly needs to be "made safe" prior to working on the car with any tools? Therefore, is this quite a complicated job (or is this just BMW scare-mongering), and if so, should we be going direct to BMW to perform this sort of work? :\

megabmw

Thu Aug 13, 2015 4:11 am

Whinters wrote:For anyone who has had lowering springs fitted - was the work required to fit these described as different compared to normal ICE cars? The first couple of mechanics I've contacted have been wary about touching the car, as it supposedly needs to be "made safe" prior to working on the car with any tools? Therefore, is this quite a complicated job (or is this just BMW scare-mongering), and if so, should we be going direct to BMW to perform this sort of work? :\
Any real car mechanic can do this job without any problem. It is straight forward.
All High voltage wires and devices is out of the way and they are all very invisible with a clear orange marking. No problem!

DUnit

Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:47 am

I'm going to attempt to install the H&Rs myself with a friend. Anyone got a nice DIY write up, hints, torque specs, or suggestions? This was the only thing I could find online so far...
Fronts
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYTYYFCe45g
Rears
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mj0vvSMilck

SloMoShun

Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:56 am

Anyone know if these improve aero ?

ksnax

Sat May 25, 2019 11:56 am

Yes. (Sort of). In general terms, because even relatively flat bottomed cars like the i3 are riddled with parts that generate turbulence, anything you can do to reduce airflow underneath without increasing frontal area will improve aerodynamics and reduce drag.

How much? No clue there.

Return to “Modifications & Accessories”