2014 i3, Hiccup

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hasij2

This is a golden i3, with all the bells and whistles. It has around 66,000 miles on the clock. It’s named hiccup because it doesn’t seem to know accurately the state of battery anymore and will randomly strand you if the battery is allowed to go lower than 25%. You can be driving along and suddenly the battery is so dead, it can’t start the Rex :(

But if you activate Rex at 25% battery, no problems. I’m sure it’s just due for a new battery. Range 55 on a warm day.

I love this car and would love to get it to steer itself.

Attachments

• IMG_0358.png
    IMG_0358.png
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
It definitely needs the high voltage batteries replaced. I had the same issue with mine, where the car would go dead and the REX wouldn't start if it went below a certain percentage. It turns out the CPU doesn't accurately calculate the degradation of the batteries and can't tell how much is actually charged.

Luckily, I was able to take my car in before the warranty expired on the batteries and got them replaced. Also got the CPU updated so that it can calculate the degradation over time.

I have a 2014 REX with about 110k miles. Still gives me a good 90 miles on battery and another 100 miles on REX.

Back