2019 fails to accelerate at low speed then "⚠️ Drivetrain Malfunction"

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

driver8

I'm looking forward to buying an i3 soon and test drove a 2019 REX with around 30k miles yesterday. It was sitting in the hot sun at the Car Max parking lot directly before driving it. I inserted my OBD scanner and connected it to Electrified (see pic). So far so good. Drove for about 15 minutes, mostly city driving with 1 mile on the interstate. Then we stop and switch drivers so my fiance can try it. As she attempts to pull away from a stop she says that the car won't accelerate. We are going maybe 10 MPH and she says she has her foot all the way down on the accelerator. So we pull over, switch drivers again, and the car appears normal for another 3 minutes or so. Then the same thing happens to me (see videos). This time though, the car came to a stop and we got a red triangle with "drive train malfunction". Turned off the car for 30 seconds then back on and all seemed normal. No "service soon" message or any indication that something is amiss.

So, a few questions:
1) anybody else seen this behavior before?
2) I left the OBD scanner in for the duration of the test drive. Could that have somehow caused this? Electrify and OBDlink apps were both running.
3) Car Max said they'd look into it, but I have little faith they will investigate properly. Would you buy this car? Carfax indicates it was rear ended with moderate disabling damage 18 months ago. Police report said it was a low speed incident in which the pickup truck that struck the i3 was barely damaged.

I'm glad I found this forum. Wonderful resource!!

Attachments

• 1000014416.mp4
    24.1 MB
  • 1000014417.mp4
    17.5 MB
  • Screenshot_20240608_155020_electrified.jpg
    Screenshot_20240608_155020_electrified.jpg
    229.9 KB · Views: 0
My advice would be that, unless it's a very very special car, I would just leave it and go and find another one. Some of the "drivetrain malfunction" faults can be very expensive to fix, and you probably won't enjoy the process of taking it back multiple times to get it fixed under warranty. It's not a rare enough car to be worth the aggravation (IMO).

Estoy deseando comprar un i3 pronto y ayer probé un REX 2019 con alrededor de 30.000 millas. Estaba sentado bajo el sol abrasador en el estacionamiento de Car Max justo antes de conducirlo. Inserté mi escáner OBD y lo conecté a Electrified (ver foto). Hasta ahora, todo bien. Conduje durante unos 15 minutos, principalmente en ciudad con 1 milla por la interestatal. Luego paramos y cambiamos de conductor para que mi prometido pueda probarlo. Mientras intenta alejarse de una parada, dice que el auto no acelera. Vamos a unas 10 MPH y ella dice que tiene el pie pisado a fondo el acelerador. Entonces nos detenemos, cambiamos de conductor nuevamente y el auto parece normal durante otros 3 minutos aproximadamente. Luego me pasa lo mismo (ver videos). Esta vez, sin embargo, el auto se detuvo y apareció un triángulo rojo con "mal funcionamiento del tren motriz". Apagué el auto por 30 segundos, luego lo volví a encender y todo parecía normal. No hay ningún mensaje de "servicio pronto" ni ninguna indicación de que algo anda mal.

Entonces, algunas preguntas:
1) ¿Alguien más ha visto este comportamiento antes?
2) Dejé el escáner OBD encendido durante la prueba de manejo. ¿Podría eso haber causado esto de alguna manera? Las aplicaciones Electrify y OBDlink estaban ejecutándose.
3) Car Max dijo que lo investigarían, pero tengo poca fe en que lo investigarán adecuadamente. ¿Comprarías este auto? Carfax indica que fue chocado por detrás con daños moderados que lo incapacitaron hace 18 meses. El informe policial dijo que se trató de un incidente a baja velocidad en el que la camioneta que chocó contra el i3 apenas sufrió daños.

Me alegro de haber encontrado este foro. ¡¡Maravilloso recurso!!
we repair same before need cherge the hight batt cable

Back