38,000 miles after 16 momths

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

i3marc

The energizer bunny that is my i3 just keeps on going and going. Check my blog for updates... but at many times the rate of mileage of a gasoline car it just seems the EV will last forever, will stay forever young and will indeed match its 40+ years lifespan (at least for the battery as I expect the body to last a few centuries :))

Good to hear someone is having a great experience with the kind of miles I put on my i3...

Too bad my car isn't as reliable as yours. I have had issues requiring service for the Adaptive Cruise, Bluetooth, Audio System, various Dash/Glovebox/Engine Mount Rattles, and most recently they have dropped the Battery twice during two service appointments for Battery Management components. I am really tired of this garbage rattlebox...

You got a good one!

Confused.

I recently wanted to know the maximum electric only range on the freeway

fully charged overnight
76F
60 mph cruise control
eco pro+ mode
no accessories other than radio
no passenger/ luggage
flat no wind

The best I was able to do is 93.8 miles until the Rex started at 6.5% soc

Are you getting significantly more range than that?

100_5918-L.jpg

:?:

I say 117 miles was the most I got from Murrieta to Santa Monica. Stop and go traffic made sure I got an average of about 33 mph and the temps were in the 60s/70s.

TheNickGuy said:
Good to hear someone is having a great experience with the kind of miles I put on my i3...

Too bad my car isn't as reliable as yours. I have had issues requiring service for the Adaptive Cruise, Bluetooth, Audio System, various Dash/Glovebox/Engine Mount Rattles, and most recently they have dropped the Battery twice during two service appointments for Battery Management components. I am really tired of this garbage rattlebox...

You got a good one!

Not sure why... electronic components are reliable and not subjected to the inverse bathtub reliability curve like mechanical ones (young age defects, maturity, old age wear and tear).

Most electronics either fail immediately or last a long long time. Although cutting off lead from soldiering makes old welds prone to cracks on circuits, but there are spray on products one can use to prevent that.

I frankly suspect outright sabotage or carelessness from the dealership as they are enthusiastic NOT regarding the absolute lack of maintenance the car needs, besides changing tires (Costco + online = low prices!!!) and changing the cabin filter every 2 years which one can ignore happily.

justanotherdrunk said:
Murrieta inland in the hills and Santa Monica on the coast?

mostly downhill?

big contributor?

I talk about it in my blog and after some calculations I estimated the contribution is a few kWh but I was able to come from Santa Monica (sea level) to Murrieta (1350 ft) with a few % to spare and that's about 102 miles.

When you replaced your OEM tires, you had 2 options: all-season (like the OEM tires) or summer tires. Did you consider summer tires?

Hmm, it appears that in the U.S., Bridgestone might no longer offer the Ecopia EP500 (summer tire) in the 19" size (e.g., they're no longer listed by Tire Rack). Because they weren't OEM tires and because no car but the i3 uses skinny 19" tires, few were probably sold, so I wouldn't be surprised if they were discontinued.

alohart said:
When you replaced your OEM tires, you had 2 options: all-season (like the OEM tires) or summer tires. Did you consider summer tires?

Hmm, it appears that in the U.S., Bridgestone might no longer offer the Ecopia EP500 (summer tire) in the 19" size (e.g., they're no longer listed by Tire Rack). Because they weren't OEM tires and because no car but the i3 uses skinny 19" tires, few were probably sold, so I wouldn't be surprised if they were discontinued.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Ecopia-Ep500-175-60R19/43075137

WalMart has them too apparently. I brought mine and they were all season at Tire Rack then went to Costco to have them installed for like $35 (nitrogen and flat repair for life...).

Still confused

You're getting 8-10% better electric only range than I am.

Is this simply the difference between the Bev and the Rex?

... and that I can't run my batteries <6.5% soc and you can?

Thanks

justanotherdrunk said:
Still confused

You're getting 8-10% better electric only range than I am.

Is this simply the difference between the Bev and the Rex?

... and that I can't run my batteries <6.5% soc and you can?

Thanks

The BEV is lighter and more efficient than the Rex. I run mine on ECO Pro + mode and switch to eco pro a few miles from the destination if I need AC. Scarcity makes you fully conscious of how much energy you have and how to use it to the max.

Keep in mind the climate control on the BEV is also way more efficient the the Rex. You can probably get 90 miles on a Rex vs. 110-120 miles for a BEV.

And I did run my battery down to 1% a few times in some extreme cases. The 1-2 kWh buffer (20 Kwh window for a 22 kWh capacity) saved the battery pack from damage then in my opinion.

So far 38k and absolutely no perceived change in range... like none.

i3marc said:
Keep in mind the climate control on the BEV is also way more efficient the the Rex.
A BEV is more efficient than a REx when heating if the temperature isn't too cold because the BEV will use its heat pump for heating while the REx will use its resistance heater. However, if the temperature is cold enough, the heat pump is insufficient, so the BEV will augment heat production with its resistance heater.

However, a BEV is no more efficient than a REx when cooling its interior. Both use a heat pump for cooling.

Well, other than the fact that the REx is always carrying around an extra LARGE person equivalent in the REx engine, tank, cooling, and muffler. Every little bit of extra weight hurts efficiency.

jadnashuanh said:
Well, other than the fact that the REx is always carrying around an extra LARGE person equivalent in the REx engine, tank, cooling, and muffler. Every little bit of extra weight hurts efficiency.

Never understood the appeal of a Rex. As my mileage shows (and on a 2014 without fast DC) one can adapt and live comfortably with the 100 miles of range of a BEV minus the maintenance headaches and extra weight of an ICE engine.

And regs make it impossible to use the ICE engine on demand. Those lucky enough to have fast DC and live in SoCal where it is starting to catch up will always be able to top it off in < 20 min and go on their merry way.

Even level 2 is nice and fast (3 hrs) as the BEV battery is pretty small and recharges quickly if one works around their lifestyle to always charge up when doing something else.

I guess it takes a sheep to jump to have all the other sheeps to follow :)

i3marc said:
jadnashuanh said:

Never understood the appeal of a Rex. As my mileage shows (and on a 2014 without fast DC) one can adapt and live comfortably with the 100 miles of range of a BEV minus the maintenance headaches and extra weight of an ICE engine.

And regs make it impossible to use the ICE engine on demand. Those lucky enough to have fast DC and live in SoCal where it is starting to catch up will always be able to top it off in < 20 min and go on their merry way.

Even level 2 is nice and fast (3 hrs) as the BEV battery is pretty small and recharges quickly if one works around their lifestyle to always charge up when doing something else.

I guess it takes a sheep to jump to have all the other sheeps to follow :)

That's simple: we (REx owners) don't ever have to think about our range while travelling. No planning needed, no long stops. 95 % of the time, we are driving electric, and the 5% that remain is called " peace of mind".

And in my personal case: the REx allows me to travel and see ma family every month at 150 km away (300 in total) during a one day trip, and without having to find a non-existing fast charging station. When the i3 will have 300 real km of range, i won't get a REx.

Back