A second fuel tank just for long journies

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

quantium

A reason for the small fuel tank is that there is a range cost in carrying petrol around that is not necessary. A second petrol tank that would only be used if the driver proposes a longer journey would resolve this issue and then put the i3rex in the same league as the Prius plug in hybrid and similar vehicles. These other vehicles have a much shorter electric range, probably partly due to the extra weight of the petrol they carry about. Of course drivers will probably carry around cans of petrol for this reason, but this is much less safe than having it in a proper in built fuel tank.

It appears one of the reasons for such a small reserve tank is a California legislation to do with EVs (I am not familar with the details, nor wish to be enlightened ;) ) but I do feel maybe the next generation might benifit from a tank of say twice the capacity, after all another 20lbs isn't going to make too much difference, if it does then diet first! :lol:

Boxbrownie said:
It appears one of the reasons for such a small reserve tank is a California legislation to do with EVs (I am not familar with the details, nor wish to be enlightened ;) ) but I do feel maybe the next generation might benefit from a tank of say twice the capacity, after all another 20lbs isn't going to make too much difference, if it does then diet first! :lol:

The second tank could just be omitted on models intended to be sold in CA

Problem with having two tanks is the extra plumbing and pumping required between the two, better just to have a larger tank for RoW and a smaller tank in the same position for NA market.
In fact, bigger tank for everyone except CA market maybe?

Boxbrownie said:
Problem with having two tanks is the extra plumbing and pumping required between the two, better just to have a larger tank for RoW and a smaller tank in the same position for NA market.
In fact, bigger tank for everyone except CA market maybe?

If only that were practical...... California is such a big market that they set the standards for all of America and America is such a big market that they set the standards for all of North America. At least the differences in REx control are in the software and might someday be hacked to give NA buyers RoW control.

If you do not get a chance to recharge the main battery a significant amount, the i3 REx's engine is only 34Hp and that's when running at max, which it tries not to do. Extended high speed runs with the batteries (eventually they will be on a long trip) just isn't great...the car was designed for short-range, city use, not long distance, so a bigger fuel tank wasn't a big imperative. The Prius engine is nearly triple that and can propel the car at a reasonable speed until you run out of fuel. What you're asking for is closer to a hybrid, not an EV. The i8 is a sportscar implementation, and I fully expect other I-cars over the next 5-years that may be designed to do exactly what you are asking for...

Well the new i5 might get a bigger tank with any luck, I think it will have to really.

So for i3 Mk2 bigger tank for RoW and tiddly one for NA.........suits me! :lol:

Seriously who knows yet, politics rules :cry:

quantium said:
A reason for the small fuel tank is that there is a range cost in carrying petrol around that is not necessary. A second petrol tank that would only be used if the driver proposes a longer journey --> carry around cans of petrol for this reason.
portable gas tanks a safe to carry around, just know how to use it correctly.

One (US) gallon of gasoline is about the equivalent of 8-sticks of dynamite, if you can get it to explode at once. Now, that isn't as easy as some might think, but it is very significant. Get the vapor/air pressure just right, and just like in the cylinder of an engine, things go boom quite easily and with LOTS of force.

At about 8#/gallon, a tank's fuel isn't all that much - maybe carrying around an extra passenger (or all of the junk in your trunk!), but obviously, the tank itself would weigh something, too.

There isn't a lot of spare space in an i3...not sure where you'd end up putting a larger tank without compromising passenger/luggage volume.

Back