Air Conditioning for Pets

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dougweber1

Is it possible to run the air conditioner for pets while you are away from your car and it is locked? New owner!

yes, there's an Activate climate control box on the goodbye screen:
20190522213940-4100cab1.png

If its not there then you need to go into the climate settings menu and turn it on so that it will display on the goodbye screen.

Keep in mind there's no message on the center display like Tesla's "Dog Mode" so depending where you park and outdoor conditions, you run the risk of a passerby thinking your pet is trapped in a hot car and "saving it" by breaking your window! :)

3pete said:
Keep in mind there's no message on the center display like Tesla's "Dog Mode" so depending where you park and outdoor conditions, you run the risk of a passerby thinking your pet is trapped in a hot car and "saving it" by breaking your window! :)

Agree! Tesla's Dog Mode is actually a great idea. One of the few things I really like about Tesla :)

yes, there's an Activate climate control box on the goodbye screen:
20190522213940-4100cab1.png

If its not there then you need to go into the climate settings menu and turn it on so that it will display on the goodbye screen.
is there a way of extending the period to longer than 30 mins using the app?

Get a seat belt extender for drivers seat(or buckle drivers seat belt). Do not turn off car, set brake, put car in park. Exit car, lock with key fob, should get a loud double horn honk(warning car is still on). Make sure you leave a sign, set a comfortable temperature. AC will run as long as you have traction battery. I discovered this accidentally when I went into restaurant, it was cold in the car(had 60° set) after an hour, and ac still running.

Somebody posted a youtube video to simulate camping mode by using staggered departure times. Obviously that is more of a pain to setup every time, but it would allow not leaving the car in drive in mode.

Is it possible to run the air conditioner for pets while you are away from your car and it is locked? New owner!
Do yourself a favor and DO NOT leave your pet in your car...regardless of what feature it has to keep them cool. I would not trust the climate control to stay active because you never know if there may be a fault. And that applies across the board, Tesla, BMW, whatever. Things fail and they will die.

On top of that, NEVER leave them in there because someone may break in and take them. Why put them in that situation? It's cruel.

Do yourself a favor and DO NOT leave your pet in your car...regardless of what feature it has to keep them cool. I would not trust the climate control to stay active because you never know if there may be a fault. And that applies across the board, Tesla, BMW, whatever. Things fail and they will die.

On top of that, NEVER leave them in there because someone may break in and take them. Why put them in that situation? It's cruel.
I think that is being a bit overdramatic. Tesla will indicate on the screen what temperature it is, and you can monitor it on the app. And there is an interior (and exterior) cameras monitoring the car (and you can access all that remotely). The i3's system is time limited to about 30 minutes, and it does not have any good monitoring options, so I agree that you probably shouldn't use it for this purpose, unless you are only gone for a very short time and it is not too warm out. YMMV.

I think that is being a bit overdramatic. Tesla will indicate on the screen what temperature it is, and you can monitor it on the app. And there is an interior (and exterior) cameras monitoring the car (and you can access all that remotely). The i3's system is time limited to about 30 minutes, and it does not have any good monitoring options, so I agree that you probably shouldn't use it for this purpose, unless you are only gone for a very short time and it is not too warm out. YMMV.
I don't think it's overdramatic. Failures happen and it only takes one time for a malfunction to occur or a failure in communication to happen where the system shuts off, the system fails to be at the right temperature, etc. To me, it's not worth it and these days people will break into a car for anything in order to take it and try and sell it. It's just not worth the risk... especially a risk that could be avoided. My 2 cents

Somebody posted a youtube video to simulate camping mode by using staggered departure times. Obviously that is more of a pain to setup every time, but it would allow not leaving the car in drive in mode.
Maybe it is different between model years, but on my 2015 the car will stop comfort climate if the car hasn't moved for 2 departure times. That applies to both pre-conditioning/comfort climate for the next departure time, or trying to activate comfort climate manually so I don't think this would work...at least not for long.

It all depends on where you live and what breed your dog is. Where I live, expensive dogs are being taken at gun point while being walked. Since that is a decent risk, I wouldn't leave my dog in the car where they could kidnap him..

OTOH, in a safe area, I would definitely leave him in the car. Yes, the a/c which was operating fine could suddenly fail , not that there is a single thread about that on the Internet. But you can't protect for every possible risk to the dog without bubble wrapping him. What if on a walk, he sees a squirrel and the leash breaks (or slips), he runs into traffic and is killed? Should you not take dogs on walks?

Bottom line, I asked my dog whether he'd like to come to the store with the risk that the a/c might suddenly fail. He was all for it.

I worked animal control for 17 years. Several things I was apart of during that time. In the south btw. 1 situation was a woman in Costco, falls hits her head and unconscious taken to the hospital. Turns out, her dog was in the car while she was in the store. Not discovered until Costco closed. She had the windows up and the AC on, but ran out of gas. The dog was in bad shape, but recovered.

We had a k-9 officer, had his dog in the car with the AC on, the compressor failed and started blowing hot air instead of cold. The dog had to be put down.

A dog another county over was in a car during winter and the car was running with heat on and the car caught fire.

This all doesn't include those in had to remove ( and charge the owner, 1 while working a 12 hour shift at the hospital) or were removed by citizens by breaking or entering.

I love all my pets. Generally consider them above every non family member of the human race. They do just fine home in my conditioned air.

Also by the way, they should not be walking on pavement when the temp is above 80. I have had that argument with many people. Their paws are generally equal to ours. So if you can't stand in the road bare foot, then they shouldn't either.

In the county I worked, it was illegal to leave a car running without being in it or beside it. This was a ordinance to stop car theft from people at gas station or in there driveway from leaving a car running and letting someone hop in and go. I am not sure what if any changes were made in reference to Tesla or other ev's.

Yep, regardless of what works, I would not leave my dog in the car any longer than absolutely necessary. To me, that's maybe 5 minutes maximum. Otherwise, I just find other arrangements. I don't trust the tech - or passers by without brains - enough in general. A single gamma particle can flip a bit and crash an entire computer system, and there is no way to prevent or predict that from happening.

In the county I worked, it was illegal to leave a car running without being in it or beside it. This was a ordinance to stop car theft from people at gas station or in there driveway from leaving a car running and letting someone hop in and go. I am not sure what if any changes were made in reference to Tesla or other ev's.
Having the accessories active without the ability to drive the car is likely the exception, but obviously that would be the lesser offense vs. endangering or harming a pet.

I worked animal control for 17 years. Several things I was apart of during that time. In the south btw. 1 situation was a woman in Costco, falls hits her head and unconscious taken to the hospital. Turns out, her dog was in the car while she was in the store. Not discovered until Costco closed. She had the windows up and the AC on, but ran out of gas. The dog was in bad shape, but recovered.

We had a k-9 officer, had his dog in the car with the AC on, the compressor failed and started blowing hot air instead of cold. The dog had to be put down.

A dog another county over was in a car during winter and the car was running with heat on and the car caught fire.

This all doesn't include those in had to remove ( and charge the owner, 1 while working a 12 hour shift at the hospital) or were removed by citizens by breaking or entering.

I love all my pets. Generally consider them above every non family member of the human race. They do just fine home in my conditioned air.

Also by the way, they should not be walking on pavement when the temp is above 80. I have had that argument with many people. Their paws are generally equal to ours. So if you can't stand in the road bare foot, then they shouldn't either.

Indeed....the way people treat animals is beyond disgusting and frankly, I'd probably end up in jail if I ever saw animal abuse occurring in front of me...and I'd not regret it for a moment. I'm a huge animal advocate, donate hundreds a month to special rescues and vetted causes, choose what I eat carefully as well because I think animal farming is the biggest crime and mass murder occurring at any level. It's truly horrifying. But that's another topic for another day that few care about at all. At this point in my life, I respect animals far more than I respect humans.

Back