Am I near the bottom yet?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ajenkins

Hi,

Looking to buy a ...

Fully loaded ReX -20" wheels
MSRP 54,200
Sales Price: $46445 (14.3% off MSRP)
4K Down (total)
10K miles
30 month lease (55% residual) (need at least 30 months for CA tax credit of $2500). 24month is 60%.
$383/month including tax.

Is this a good deal? 24 month payment is $334/mo, same down and terms.

Appreciate the input,

Tony

Sounds like a good deal. For REx with $52.200 sticker, I paid $3850 down and $315 per month on a 24md/10K lease

Here in the icebox called Chicago, i3 sales have been s-l-o-w. I've been watching inventory for a month or two, with only a few i3s finding homes. Some dealers are sticking to their guns at or near MSRP, and others are knocking 15% of 2014s, but still not getting a lot of movement. I've lowballed a couple dealers, and they aren't ready to take my offer - yet. With nationwide inventory at ~2200 new 2014s that have yet to find homes with 670 sold in January, I am shorting the price hard. I believe they will have to come even lower yet - right now BMW is offering only $500 incentives, but I think they will have to put more cash on the hood, er, frunk.

I don't need an i3. I'd like one. There's a enough questions about the pricing, utility, reliability and resale/residual value of this car to make me not want to jump for anything close to MSRP. I can imagine a 2nd generation with a true 100 mile range(in the cold, with the heat on, etc), upgrade path for batteries, conventional rear doors, more classically beautiful lines, normal sized wheels that would sell better. Give me my panoramic moonroof and more comfortable, power memory seats. Give me choices on interior/exterior colors & materials. Give me a heated steering wheel that looks like the F80 M3's instead of the dorky blob there now. Give me better packaging and frunk utility. Move the motor controller over so the cargo area can be a few inches lower. I'd like 6" greater wheel base. Give me a power option that does 0-60 in 5.5 seconds or something like the x3 3.5i. Get rid of the lawyers and bring traffic jam assist to the USA and lead in the autonomous driving space.

Since you won't give me that with a 2014 i3, at least give me 25% off what you have!

ajenkins said:
Hi,

Looking to buy a ...

Fully loaded ReX -20" wheels
MSRP 54,200
Sales Price: $46445 (14.3% off MSRP)
4K Down (total)
10K miles
30 month lease (55% residual) (need at least 30 months for CA tax credit of $2500). 24month is 60%.
$383/month including tax.

Is this a good deal? 24 month payment is $334/mo, same down and terms.

Appreciate the input,

Tony

30 month lease is 58% residual, and I think 24 month is 63%.

Seems about on line with the best deal that I'm getting : $1k down, $452/mo including tax for a car with MSRP $50,150.

I can't help but want this deal for a fully loaded REx. I've also been keeping an eye on all of my nearby dealership's inventories and none seem to be able to get rid of their i3s. If anything, their inventories are growing and I'm seeing a couple 2015s pop up. If I get impatient, I'll fall for this deal but I'm getting greedy because I feel that prospective i3 buyers have more power in their hands.

Dealer offering me $50,020 (10% off MSRP of $56,050) for a fully loaded ReX (tech, parking assistance, larger nav, leather seats, 20" wheels, HK speakers etc.).

Any thoughts? The dealer's offer includes the $2,000 innovations incentive, does not include fed/state rebates.

Haven't made up my mind whether to lease or buy w/ owner's choice, but I care more about the purchase price and less about how I go about financing it.

pancakes213 said:
Seems about on line with the best deal that I'm getting : $1k down, $452/mo including tax for a car with MSRP $50,150.

I can't help but want this deal for a fully loaded REx. I've also been keeping an eye on all of my nearby dealership's inventories and none seem to be able to get rid of their i3s. If anything, their inventories are growing and I'm seeing a couple 2015s pop up. If I get impatient, I'll fall for this deal but I'm getting greedy because I feel that prospective i3 buyers have more power in their hands.

You should be able to do better.

The two deals I had going into last weekend:

MSRP 48,650
Sales Price 40,800
30 month/10K miles
Monthly payment with tax 306

MSRP 50,650
Sales Price 42,150
30 month/10K miles
Monthly payment with tax 336

Both those deals were structured the same; all fees, tax were to be paid upfront + 7 security deposits to lower the money factor. That made the drive off costs 4,800, but I get 2,450 of that back at the end of the lease.

I went with the 30 month lease to get the 2,500 CA Rebate, which if applied to the payments lowers the monthly to the low 200's.

Why/how do you get the $2450 back at the end of the lease? (lease newbie here)

I would ask what dealers you're working with but I had already spoken to another member and he told me exactly what his deal was and where he got it. Despite going to the exact same dealer, they didn't give me the same offer. I'm a lease newbie so I don't know all these little ins and outs that can affect the deals (such as the security deposits) so that might be it but I've talked to numerous dealerships trying to get the same deal as some other forum posters and never get it.

I had brought this up in another thread: is it appropriate/ethical to share lease quotes? One dealer told me that they can match/beat any other dealer as long as I give them an offer in writing but the best offer I was got was casually written in an email and not like the official (more expensive) PDF quote that the other dealer had given me.

pancakes213 said:

I would ask what dealers you're working with but I had already spoken to another member and he told me exactly what his deal was and where he got it. Despite going to the exact same dealer, they didn't give me the same offer. I'm a lease newbie so I don't know all these little ins and outs that can affect the deals (such as the security deposits) so that might be it but I've talked to numerous dealerships trying to get the same deal as some other forum posters and never get it.

I had brought this up in another thread: is it appropriate/ethical to share lease quotes? One dealer told me that they can match/beat any other dealer as long as I give them an offer in writing but the best offer I was got was casually written in an email and not like the official (more expensive) PDF quote that the other dealer had given me.

This explains security deposits better than I can: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=221741

Lots of people have posted quotes, and that helps everybody know what dealers are capable of offering. Grab a really good quote from here and use it to negotiate a good deal. Meaning, don't give up until you find someone who will match it or beat it.

One of the lowest quotes I got was from Edmunds.com, no haggling necessary.

pancakes213 said:

Pancakes... I don't believe there are any ethical consequences... I very much appreciate the minute details that everyone shares - in particular for me is the dealership (helps understand region and who is willing to deal), sales price before any rebates and tax incentives, MF, and residual (along with term and miles). In the end, understanding how deals work within the car sales business is like trying to figure out your cell phone bill, but as many have mentioned, deals vary literally by the hour depending on time and sales.

Z

Back