Andesit Silver in Natural Light

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
AndyW said:
These pics are good finds, thanks!

These look more like Andesite silver to me though, what do you reckon?

Andesite Silver ....is a very white silver (Update ....I think this is wrong) when we have some outdoor shots hopefully you'll see the difference. TBH they are all shades of silver, even Ionic (hint of blue) looks plain silver in a lot of shots.

Here's a shot of Andesit Silver at night (US spec)

image%20copy%202.jpeg

Ah ok, I haven't seen one in the flesh apart from the concept, so fair enough. It just looked more like the configurator's version of Andesite:
9633972645_c8ac0cc136_c.jpg

than it did Laurel/Laures (it's called different things depending where you look):
9633972611_24ec8342f0_c.jpg

or Ionic:
9633972631_3f13499e36_c.jpg

I have a feeling the configurator may be rather misleading when it comes to Laurus Grey (I could be wrong) but I've yet to see a metallic grey look as dark as that in real life.

Here is what I think is Laurus Grey inside ...... and it does look darker, just not as dark as the configurator. Outside in the sunshine it looks a lot lighter....... but maybe this is Andesit Silver

29gnzuq.jpg

As I say I maybe wrong and we just haven't seen Laurus yet.

I must admit a lot of the cars that I thought were Andesit Silver were in fact Ionic Silver like these....

http://www.gmotors.co.uk/news/bmw-i...ing-pictures-so-far/2014-bmw-i3-prototype-14/

Maybe we'll see Laurus at Frankfurt.

Has anybody seen a darker grey ....... that's not Arravani?

I think you might be right.

This initial "scoop" picture always puzzled me. Why mix metallic and non metallic paints..... well may be they aren't.

Maybe the red arrow is pointing at Laurus Grey ..... with the secondary colour being Andesit Silver.

So ALL the white silvers I thought I'd seen were in fact Ionics.

I'm rather glad there is a darker metallic than all the ones we've seen so far. Thanks AndyW for pointing that out

6fmqmp.jpg

No worries, but I don't think anyone can tell for sure from these pics!

Having said that, I reckon that pic is also all Andesite, not two colours. The "border" between the two shades of grey follows the same line up the wheelarch as the border between the dark & light shades on your pic above, so I think it's just light shining differently on the contours of the car.
Compare that pic:
6fmqmp.jpg

with your previous:
29gnzuq.jpg

See what I mean? That one looks like it's Andesite with an Ionic bit on the bumper, but I'm sure it's not! And in that first one, you've got to ask why would BMW paint a car two colours anyway?!

Anyway, d'you think we're getting too hung up on minutely different shades of silver? :D

AndyW said:
And in that first one, you've got to ask why would BMW paint a car two colours anyway?!

In one of the pre launch videos BMW said the benefit of painting the panels off the body was that one car body could contain more than one colour .... cue multi-coloured car ..... then a couple of days later the scoop picture (red arrow) showed up.

AndyW said:
Anyway, d'you think we're getting too hung up on minutely different shades of silver? :D

Yes!

But quite honestly if.......
a) there were some actual "real" colours (Dark Blue, Red...... dare I say BR Green)
b) there wasn't all that Bright Blue everywhere
c) there wasn't only one colour of leather ie Brown (I've just looked at the 5 Series configurator and there are 11 different colours of leather available and to add insult to injury they are ALL cheaper than the Brown of the i3)

..... it wouldn't be an issue.

Trying to find a colour that looks good with Bright BLUE, compliments Black and goes with a BROWN interior ......is a B******Y nightmare!

No wonder they ended up with just shades of Silver .....

Parker said:
AndyW said:
And in that first one, you've got to ask why would BMW paint a car two colours anyway?!

In one of the pre launch videos BMW said the benefit of painting the panels off the body was that one car body could contain more than one colour .... cue multi-coloured car ..... then a couple of days later the scoop picture (red arrow) showed up.

Yeah, but if they were painting panels different colours, the change would be at the shutline (between the bumper & the front wing/quarter panel) surely? Not in a line going up the wheelarch; I still reckon that's just the light reflecting differently.

Parker said:
AndyW said:

Yes!

But quite honestly if.......
a) there were some actual "real" colours (Dark Blue, Red...... dare I say BR Green)
b) there wasn't all that Bright Blue everywhere
c) there wasn't only one colour of leather ie Brown (I've just looked at the 5 Series configurator and there are 11 different colours of leather available and to add insult to injury they are ALL cheaper than the Brown of the i3)

..... it wouldn't be an issue.

Trying to find a colour that looks good with Bright BLUE, compliments Black and goes with a BROWN interior ......is a B******Y nightmare!

No wonder they ended up with just shades of Silver .....

I'm with you on the lack of colour choice, but I quite like the blue flashes! And the Andesite has a touch of brown in I think, so the brown leather Suite interior kinda goes IMO...

AndyW said:
I'm with you on the lack of colour choice, but I quite like the blue flashes! And the Andesite has a touch of brown in I think, so the brown leather Suite interior kinda goes IMO...

I like the Blue Flashes with Arravani Gray they actually add something (IMO), but to me the Blue Flashes get kind of get lost with Andesite and Yes Andesite does look more Bronze than Silver so its definitely a contender to go with the Brown leather.

It's quite weird though, I've never specced a £30K++ car's exterior and interior colours based around such a narrow set of compatible / complimentary choices .... it really is most odd.

Back