Any problem with hitting "stop" without hitting "Park?"

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slappymcgee

I'm a new 2017 i3 REX owner (at least for the term of my 2 year lease), and recently discovered if you hit Start/Stop without first hitting "P," the car seems to automagically activate the Park function before shutting down.

Is there any problem with skipping the Park button? It's not the end of the world to have to hit another button before leaving the car, but it seems like a nice shortcut.

Thanks!

My understanding is it's just like any other modern car. Hitting park inserts a rod into a gear and actuating the ebrake clamps the rear rotor. Depends on how much safety you want. I alway do both, just habit.

Slappymcgee said:
Is there any problem with skipping the Park button? It's not the end of the world to have to hit another button before leaving the car, but it seems like a nice shortcut.
I never press the P button because Park is automatically engaged when the Start/Stop button is pressed. But if you really want a nice shortcut when finishing driving, try merely lifting the emergency brake button, exiting, and locking the doors (i.e., don't press the Start/Stop button at all). Opening the driver's door will Stop the car and thus engage Park (i.e., like pressing the Start/Stop button with the brake pedal pressed). Locking the doors is like pressing the Start/Stop button without pressing the brake pedal (i.e., it shuts down the entertainment system). I haven't tried this extreme shortcut, but others have reported that it works.

If you're parked on a hill, the slight delay between hitting stop verses putting it in park first could allow the vehicle to move. One way around that is to engage the parking brake first. In general, I rarely hit park, but do if I'm on a grade. FWIW, if you have your seatbelt on, it doesn't go into park if you open the door, but does if you're not wearing it. I think it may be because there could be times when you might want to look outside while backing up, but they don't want you to fall out of the car, thus the seatbelt requirement.

Thanks for the tips. Good stuff and glad I'm not "breaking" anything with the one button shutdown. Tesla may have their no-button start, but I guess we even things out with them on our no-park stop.

Back