Any Questions?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gaz26

Visiting BMW UK HQ next week and will have a chance hopefully to look at the i3. If I get a chance are there any questions that you would like me to ask

What plans do BMW have for a fast and rapid charging network?

I am especially interested in their plans, if any, for a rapid charge network. At the moment there are no compatible rapid chargers in the UK.

Recently announced rapid chargers being funded with public money are not compatible with the i3. Are BMW UK aware of this? Are they actively lobbying for publicly funded rapid chargers to be compatible with their car?

There will be a BMW network, with BMW access cards. Is this a brand new national network or are the BMW cards accessing an existing network? If it is, will BMW be funding expansion of that existing network?

Will BMW-i dealers be getting fast or rapid chargers? What about non-BMW i dealers. Will the chargers at BMW=i dealers have 24 hour / 7 days a week access or are they only available when the dealer is open for business.

A fast charger is 7kW AC and will charge the car in 3-6 hours. A rapid charger is >40kW DC and would charge the car in under an hour.

=====

Example of brand new govt funded rapid chargers:

£522k Crosslink scheme . 14 rapid chargers CHAdeMO and 43kW AC. Not compatible with Type-2 Combo used by i3:

http://www.milton-keynes.gov.uk/transport/documents/Draft_OLEV_MK_Crosslink_Submission_23_April_v4__2_.pdf

I would like a definitive answer to "if you have a NON BMW 32amp Fast Charger can you do timed charges" i.e. set the car to charge between 01.30 and 04.00.

Also I'm getting conflicting info about what's "in" the UK Worlds..... could they clarify what HARDWARE in addition to the interior trim changes come in the different Worlds.

I'm sure they'll be more by next week!

Why can't you spec the 'Driving Assistant Plus' with the standard cloth interior ? Is there a technical reason for it or is it just a marketing ruse to extract extra cash from customers ?

(You may want to phrase the question differently :))

Well, I've ordered mine so I'm just waiting to see what BMW deliver! I've gone for REx AND rapid-charge. It seemed silly to save £500 on a £35k electric car by going without a charging socket!

Questions should really be about charging infrastructure. Most important - what are BMW going to do to convert the existing public chargers to Combo-2[1], what are they doing to ensure that future publicly funded systems are Combo-2 and what direct investment is BMW itself making?

Chargers at dealers is a good idea. Provided it is done well; ie *rapid* chargers that are accessible outside of trading hours. It provides a geographical spread of chargers - good for EV owners and, if they allow other makes to use it, good for BMW as they get a flow of potential future customers hanging around for 20 mins or so.

[1] AIUI, Combo-2 is the EU standard plug and accommodates DC rapid charging. However, most existing chargers are set up for the proprietary Nissan system.

Plug,

I had not noticed that driving assistant plus was dependent on choosing a more expensive trim! My disbelief is duly suspended having checked the price list. I was thinking it might be quite fun to have but I won't be paying extra to change the trim just to get it.

The only reason I initially thought was that some of the controls might be on the multi-function steering wheel and I had noticed that in some promotional pics etc the standard interior (black) steering wheel wasn't multi-function. But the (UK) price list confirms multi-function is standard. I guess it must just be to get that extra cash.

Michael

Plug said:
Why can't you spec the 'Driving Assistant Plus' with the standard cloth interior ? Is there a technical reason for it or is it just a marketing ruse to extract extra cash from customers ?

(You may want to phrase the question differently :))

Of course .... I'm sure there's no technical reason why it can't be installed on the standard spec interior cars. It does need a range of other things pre installed .... but those could be specified.

More questions................

If you spec LED headlights ...does that mean ALL external (and internal) bulbs are LED ...... or are the Full Beam and Orange front indicators (in front bumper) still traditional bulbs?

What options can be upgraded post purchase. For example can "access to the internet" be turned on after purchase or are all software type options in the brochure only available at build time.

Thanks.

I was told by my dealer that internet access and the online entertainment options have to be ordered with the vehicle and cant be added later and the latter currently cant be ordered in the UK for some reason.

I hope I'm not too late to ask some more questions.

This sort of relates to my first question.... but is a bit more specific.

If I have a "non BMW" 32amp charger what won't I be able to do with my i3? ..... if anything

If my i3 is fully charged (but still plugged in to a charger) can I pre-heat / pre-cool independently of a charging schedule. ie charge between 01.00 and 04.00 but pre-heat /pre-cool to drive the car away at 08.00 - and is this possible with a "non BMW" charger?

If the car you see is a RHD car could you take photo's of the interior, Drivers side i.e. all the stuff that's different to a LHD car, also take a photo of the wipers. If its not a RHD car please ask to what extent the car has been converted to RHD ...ie have the wipers priority been changed to clear the right hand side first?

Reiterate everybody else's questions re "Rapid" chargers ...... (if!), where and when?

......... This made not necessarily be a question just for BMW UK but

What actual cables come with the car.

I've just done a reccy of my local area and all the chargers round here seem to have 7 pin Type 2 sockets (7Kw)
Will the i3 come with a cable that enables me to plug it straight into those or is that an extra?

Well I saw the car in three colours and interior specs today. The lighter exterior colours look the best in my opinion although I wasn't that keen on the white. For some reason seemed to make the car look a bit too high, The Ionic Silver looks really good with the blue highlight and I think we will go for this having first chosen Solar Orange which I still really like. Having now seen all the different interiors I am very impressed with the quality of materials used for Lodge, Loft and Suite. I would be pleased with any of these. The basic interior looked a bit dark and the material was clearly driven by price I thought.

Found out the following
- winter tyres will be available in the UK through dealers
-car comes with a standard 3 pin plug on charging lead for UK, most will fast charge at home from Wallbox so only really useful if say at a friends house and want a quick top up!
- UK Dealers will have the wallbox charging not DC
- roll out of DC charging in the UK will take time, so unless you plan to keep the car for say 5/8 years and want to future proof, as can't be retro fitted, I cant see the point at this stage in the Uk
- If you order Rex maybe you don't need DC charging in any case
-you can do timed charging from the idrive so should work with all types of chargers but worth checking if you dont get the BMW wall box
-tyres are non run flat
-have asked if any options can be turned on after purchase awaiting reply
- LED lights seem a must having seen both light versions. Reversing lights LEDs and very bright and those tail lights look amazing glowing in the black rear panel.
- sunroof is a nice option, single glass panel but leaves two openings as split by what I imagine is a support to keep the shell tight

I can see why they may have limited flexibility on interiors etc at the outset as the car is complicated to build and they want to get early production spot on, so maybe in a year or two more flexibility will come

My question is, how did you get an invite?! :D

I went up to Park Lane to see the concept, but apart from the size, it didn't tell me much. Is HQ open to anyone who rocks up, as it's not far from me? Either way, great reply, thanks v much.

AndyW said:
My question is, how did you get an invite?! :D

I went up to Park Lane to see the concept, but apart from the size, it didn't tell me much. Is HQ open to anyone who rocks up, as it's not far from me? Either way, great reply, thanks v much.

No the cars are locked away. I managed to get an invite as I am a very longstanding customer. Frankfurt motor show in early September will have plenty of i3's I think you can even drive them. Might be worth a day out on a cheap flight??

If not too late to add to the question list:

Can the Range Extender option be added sometime after original purchase?

I ask not only for the obvious ability to increase range to compensate for poor pre-purchase assumptions or decreasing battery capacity. I live in a state that offers a generous, but oddly formulated tax credit for EVs. I can get $5,000 state tax credit (in addition to the $7,500 federal tax credit), but only if there is no gasoline engine aboard whatsoever. This makes the REx essentially a $8,850 option for us Georgians. Sure would be nice to save that large chunk up front, yet maintain the option to add the REx at some later date as needs change.

ultraturtle said:

I ask not only for the obvious ability to increase range to compensate for poor pre-purchase assumptions or decreasing battery capacity. I live in a state that offers a generous, but oddly formulated tax credit for EVs. I can get $5,000 state tax credit (in addition to the $7,500 federal tax credit), but only if there is no gasoline engine aboard whatsoever. This makes the REx essentially a $8,850 option for us Georgians. Sure would be nice to save that large chunk up front, yet maintain the option to add the REx at some later date as needs change.

My understanding is that BMW won't retro fit the range extender. Quite complex to do as well as engine and fuel tank plus related electrics would also need new front wing as fuel filler here on Rex.

gaz26 said:
ultraturtle said:

My understanding is that BMW won't retro fit the range extender. Quite complex to do as well as engine and fuel tank plus related electrics would also need new front wing as fuel filler here on Rex.
You are correct. You cannot add the range extender. It's ONLY a factory installed option.

Parker said:
This sort of relates to my first question.... but is a bit more specific.

If I have a "non BMW" 32amp charger what won't I be able to do with my i3? ..... if anything

I would be very surprised if the BMW branded charger does anything special. The communication protocol is limited to charge regulation. On the other hand, there have been compatibility issues with Renaults and some 3rd party chargers. As in they don't charge at all.

What actual cables come with the car.

A 10amp 3-pin EVSE comes with the car.

A type-2 to type-2 cable comes with the optional monthly charging program.
Buying a type-2 cable from ZCW is an alternative to paying for the one BMW will be selling.

AndrewDebbie said:
Buying a type-2 cable from ZCW is an alternative to paying for the one BMW will be selling.
I was told £120 for the BMW cable, don't know how that compares to ZCW.

Plug said:
AndrewDebbie said:
I was told £120 for the BMW cable, don't know how that compares to ZCW.

I was given a price of £200 over the phone from ZCW .... so the BMW one looks good value.

if possible, can you either take a photo of adults in the rear seats or if they do not allow pictures, give us your input on space with adults in the backseat. In addition, feedback on if there are two child seats in the rear. Thanks!

Back