Anybody RENEWING their Sirius XM Contract?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very unlikely, satellite radio is great for long distance driving, especially going through desert areas. i3 is a city car, local HD/FM radio works great, or stream from smart phone through Bluetooth

I wouldn't be without it and renewed. The choices it provides in music (I like classical and broadway shows) and in news and political commentary are unavailable on AM or FM on any regular basis. I drive through Southern California and make short trips outside the city and having my listening choices enhance the driving experience.

I guess I am a minority, though I will say that XM was superior to Sirius and it hasn't ever been the same post merger...but I've been an XM subscriber since somewhere around 2001 or 2002. Sadly Sirius killed the most unique XM stations and many long time XM DJs lost their jobs post merger. The music type I generally listen (EDM) to is not available on other broadcast formats, and in my other cars that do leave the city streaming options just aren't practical...and sometimes I really don't want to have to pick what I am listening to and want someone to pick for me. Yes, Pandora or other Spotify radio may work for the latter...but data streaming isn't always practical, either due to intermittent data coverage or data cost. Though now that I will be actually commuting every day for the first time in 14 years I am sure I will experiment with streaming options a bit.

My i3 is very new so still under the trial, but I am wondering what I give up/risk if I add the i3 trial radio to my existing account...the upside is the trial includes streaming services and I've never paid for this on my other cars (was really annoying when they took that "included" service away post merger).

I guess I was more asking about the album info thing. I get that the i3 is a city car, but "long trips" is often mistaken for "long distances". Some of us in congested cities have short commutes but do spend quite a bit of time in the car.

Xipper said:
I guess I am a minority, though I will say that XM was superior to Sirius and it hasn't ever been the same post merger...but I've been an XM subscriber since somewhere around 2001 or 2002. Sadly Sirius killed the most unique XM stations and many long time XM DJs lost their jobs post merger. The music type I generally listen (EDM) to is not available on other broadcast formats, and in my other cars that do leave the city streaming options just aren't practical...and sometimes I really don't want to have to pick what I am listening to and want someone to pick for me. Yes, Pandora or other Spotify radio may work for the latter...but data streaming isn't always practical, either due to intermittent data coverage or data cost. Though now that I will be actually commuting every day for the first time in 14 years I am sure I will experiment with streaming options a bit.

My i3 is very new so still under the trial, but I am wondering what I give up/risk if I add the i3 trial radio to my existing account...the upside is the trial includes streaming services and I've never paid for this on my other cars (was really annoying when they took that "included" service away post merger).

This. I've been a Sirius subscriber in other cars since around 2004. I also use Slacker occasionally but like many others my data plan is limited to 2GB/m and I often get very close to that limit with only modest music streaming. For as much as I listen it's worth the cost. What i won't do is listen to FM radio, even HD radio... very poor programming, tons of commercials, and around here reception is terrible. Unbearable.

spitfire said:
This. I've been a Sirius subscriber in other cars since around 2004. I also use Slacker occasionally but like many others my data plan is limited to 2GB/m and I often get very close to that limit with only modest music streaming. For as much as I listen it's worth the cost. What i won't do is listen to FM radio, even HD radio... very poor programming, tons of commercials, and around here reception is terrible. Unbearable.

Same here. Was an early XM subscriber back when it really was quite close to "CD Quality" and the music channels had some incredible programming with deeper cuts and knowledgeable hosts. Even the old XM melody was neat as it was constantly re-cast with different sounds or even live voices.

Nowadays I cache playlists from Apple Music for offline enjoyment when I am away from the cellular network. Slacker also had great caching, but their Classical selection left much to be desired. I understand Spotify offers offline playback options as well.

Kieodadie said:
I bought an i3 this week. Dealer said Sirius Xm is free for a year but all i get is the preview channel.

You need to activate it even though the dealer should have.

I think you can do it from he button on the roof.

And for renewal i've been renewing my Leaf account for the last 3 years at $5/month. Call and ask for it. They will say they can't do it so tell them you want to cancel.
That will get you to retention. Tell them the same thing. They'll counter offer. Keep saying $5/mo or cancel me. You'll get it.

And my feeling is that's about all it is worth. IF they won't do it I have no problem canceling.

Assuming of course my service visit next week fixes the reception problem. If not then it is worth nothing to me.

When you are up for renewal just call and say you want to cancel. They will reduce the price like 85% and you can do this year after year. I only use it to listen to the Comedy channels so I don't want to pay a fortune for those 7 channels.

Kieodadie said:
Awesome!!! I will activate it myself. It is not in writing but I think the sales person said I get it free for a year. Did anybody get the same offer?

It should be written on the window sticker even if they didn't say anything. At least mine did.

You can also activate it via calling the XM radio 800 number.

Back